You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup Qualification Group D Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8687888990 190>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicinmouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 10:04pm
We won't go all out attack for sure, but I don't expect us to sit back either. I think it will be pretty similar to the Wales game, but hopefully we'll be a little more creative going forward... As with the Wales game, a draw seems inevitable. :) 
Sponsored Links

howyapaul View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote howyapaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 11:05pm
When are the Wales Vs Ireland tickets for the 9th Oct going on sale?
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 11:12pm
Never, probably.
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 8:11am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

If that happens, and we beat Austria, they'll be seven points behind both us and Serbia. With four games to go, that would be close to curtains.
You would hope in that situation that Welsh players start crying off with injuries and focusing on their clubs going into the final game
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 9:03am
Originally posted by musicinmouth musicinmouth wrote:

We won't go all out attack for sure, but I don't expect us to sit back either. I think it will be pretty similar to the Wales game, but hopefully we'll be a little more creative going forward... As with the Wales game, a draw seems inevitable. :) 

I bloody hope NOT!
We were terrible in the Wales game and after halftime we were hoping for a draw. Wales were the better team and looked more comfortable than us.

Austria is a must win game if we want to come top. 
We wont have the injuries we had against Wales so we will have a few more options. 

Austria are in poor form so we should be lining up with confidence. 

Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 7:33pm
My prediction would be a draw with Austria, and later with Serbia and Wales.  We can draw with anyone in the world.  Narrow victory over Georgia in Tblisi (who were very poor there against Serbia) and routine home victory over Moldova.

People expecting us to beat Austria handy - remember we were a cross-bar and lanky Janko (going way back - reminiscent of Karstan Janker of the "Dunphy Janker files" in 2002) missing two sitters away from a draw or defeat in Vienna.  People getting rose-tinted memories because of the result.  We didn't play them off of the park - we just took our one chance with a unusually good goal and, uncharacteristically, held out. 

I know Austria are in poor form, but they do still have very good players - mostly playing at the top end of the Bundesliga and two in this years' Champions League.  
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 7:38pm
Sorry, and to add to that, I wouldn't even agree Austria are in "poor" form.  They lost by the odd goal in five away to Serbia and a single goal in a very tight game to us.  

They are very narrow margins. Austria are still fundamentally a good team with some very good players.  

I will be surprised if it is anything other than a draw in Dublin - we'll set up for that, with a view to getting a cheeky set-piece. MON is clearly happy with erring towards a play-off spot, so will be conservative.  To be fair, that was probably the objective at the start of the campaign.
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 7:42pm
Agree with most of what you are saying but isn't 2 of their key players suspended already. We won't hammer them or very many teams may I add but I think we are well capable of a 1 nil win in this.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 8:17pm
The best player we could hope to have out for them is Arnautovic and delighted he's not featuring.

I think O'Neill in fairness isn't aiming for playoff spot as there are no standout teams and we've to play our current main rivals at home.

I don't think we'll ever have a group like this again to have a chance of winning with no heavyweights in it.

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 11:02am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Never, probably.

LOL   Clap
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 11:07am
Originally posted by greenlad greenlad wrote:

Agree with most of what you are saying but isn't 2 of their key players suspended already. We won't hammer them or very many teams may I add but I think we are well capable of a 1 nil win in this.

Arnoutovic is without doubt a "key man" , he is their "go to " guy,holds the ball up well and links the play,most of the attacks go through him,a huge loss for Austria,Ilsanker however is a holding midfielder who doesnt play every game,he did well here at Salzburg and was sent to Leipzig,he is a loss to them but not a huge loss,i would describe him as an Austrian Glen Whelan.
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
Missy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 11:39am
Wales will get wallopped in Serbia we can't afford to drop points anywhere if we are to top the group
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Sorry, and to add to that, I wouldn't even agree Austria are in "poor" form.  They lost by the odd goal in five away to Serbia and a single goal in a very tight game to us.  

They are very narrow margins. Austria are still fundamentally a good team with some very good players.  

I will be surprised if it is anything other than a draw in Dublin - we'll set up for that, with a view to getting a cheeky set-piece. MON is clearly happy with erring towards a play-off spot, so will be conservative.  To be fair, that was probably the objective at the start of the campaign.

Sorry, Even die hard Austrians would agree with that!!

To qualify for France 2016 in a group containing Russia, Sweden and Montenegro, they won 9 and drew 1. Thats 28 points out of 30.

Then they went to France and Hungry shocked them in the first game and they have not recovered since. They haven't beaten anybody of note since that game. 
They may be narrow margins but when you are not playing well you tend to be on the losing end of those results.

They wont be a push over but this Ireland team, at home, should have no fear in taking the game to them and getting 3 points.

willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 4:47pm

My prediction would be a draw with Austria, and later with Serbia and Wales.  We can draw with anyone in the world.  Narrow victory over Georgia in Tblisi (who were very poor there against Serbia) and routine home victory over Moldova.

People expecting us to beat Austria handy - remember we were a cross-bar and lanky Janko (going way back - reminiscent of Karstan Janker of the "Dunphy Janker files" in 2002) missing two sitters away from a draw or defeat in Vienna.  People getting rose-tinted memories because of the result.  We didn't play them off of the park - we just took our one chance with a unusually good goal and, uncharacteristically, held out. 

I know Austria are in poor form, but they do still have very good players - mostly playing at the top end of the Bundesliga and two in this years' Champions League.  

We played relatively well against Austria and created more than one chance. Walters missed a great chance and had another disallowed.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 2:01am
Yeah, the Vienna match was our best performance of the campaign.  Disciplined in defence and relatively calm in possession with Wes on.  Having said that it was a very tight game, and looking at the chances, could easily have gone the other way.  I think the Aviva game will be similarly tight.  

Arnautovic is a big loss for them thankfully, though we're missing arguably our best player, Coleman, and inevitably will have a few more drop out.  

I agree that Wales will be in trouble in Belgrade without Bale, and less importantly, Taylor.  I expect them to lose by two.  So, if we want to stay in with a chance of topping the group, we'll really need the win against Austria - which I'll be happily surprised by if it comes to pass.
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 8:31am

Yeah, the Vienna match was our best performance of the campaign.  Disciplined in defence and relatively calm in possession with Wes on.  Having said that it was a very tight game, and looking at the chances, could easily have gone the other way.  I think the Aviva game will be similarly tight.  

Arnautovic is a big loss for them thankfully, though we're missing arguably our best player, Coleman, and inevitably will have a few more drop out.  

I agree that Wales will be in trouble in Belgrade without Bale, and less importantly, Taylor.  I expect them to lose by two.  So, if we want to stay in with a chance of topping the group, we'll really need the win against Austria - which I'll be happily surprised by if it comes to pass.
Yeah, it was a tight game but a solid performance and I don't think the Austrians can have too many complaints.

We haven't exactly been on fire in this campaign but to be fair - have our rivals either? Serbia were brutal at times against us in Belgrade. They needed a last minute goal against Wales and could have easily been 2-0 down. They could have also been 2-0 down in Georgia, fair play to them they rallied well but if we were in their position you would still have a lot of our fans complaining about those performances.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 11:21am
Has anyone been watching Serbia's games at home? They should have beaten us, but that said we created lots of chances against them too. 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Missy Missy wrote:

Wales will get wallopped in Serbia we can't afford to drop points anywhere if we are to top the group

Ah stop, you know they won't. Wales could very easily go to Serbia and win. We played Serbia at a good time and got lucky. 

I'm hoping for a win against the Austrians and for a draw in the other game. Even a welsh win. Keep everyone below us, below us. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8687888990 190>
  Share Topic