You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Civil Reception in Belfast with the Nordies?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 33>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

But this is Belfast City Council, not Stormont! Who on the squad actually comes from Belfast? Why Belfast and not Derry, Cork or Dublin.

It's just politicians making trouble for the sake of it.

And therin lies the crux of the matter. Why should it cause any trouble, surely it should be a cause for celebration. Both teams north and south qualify and have a reception in the north and south for one another in a sign of friendship and mutual respect for the achievements. As for the 1st point who actually comes from Belfast surely that has absolutely no bearing on the issue.
Of course it does! It's not the North honouring them, or seeking not to, it's Belfast. If they had a reception in Stormont, I'd be all in favour, but Belfast City Council! Why them? What is their connection that no other city has? I can think of no specific link to Belfast other than the number of supporters there, but there are other cities with more supporters. Dublin, London and maybe Cork. I can't think of one Belfast player. Even the line about both managers being Nordies, honour them at Stormont then. Neither are Belfastmen.

Belfast and its city council should just keep their noses out.
Sponsored Links

Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 3:29pm
The Stoops chose Belfast CC for their stunt because

a) there aren't enough Nationalist MLAs to win a majority at Stormont

b) Belfast City Hall is particularly symbolic for Unionists

c) the Media can't be arsed travelling to a do in Derry, Newry or some other Nat-majority backwater.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 3:37pm

Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

But this is Belfast City Council, not Stormont! Who on the squad actually comes from Belfast? Why Belfast and not Derry, Cork or Dublin.

It's just politicians making trouble for the sake of it.

And therin lies the crux of the matter. Why should it cause any trouble, surely it should be a cause for celebration. Both teams north and south qualify and have a reception in the north and south for one another in a sign of friendship and mutual respect for the achievements. As for the 1st point who actually comes from Belfast surely that has absolutely no bearing on the issue.
Of course it does! It's not the North honouring them, or seeking not to, it's Belfast. If they had a reception in Stormont, I'd be all in favour, but Belfast City Council! Why them? What is their connection that no other city has? I can think of no specific link to Belfast other than the number of supporters there, but there are other cities with more supporters. Dublin, London and maybe Cork. I can't think of one Belfast player. Even the line about both managers being Nordies, honour them at Stormont then. Neither are Belfastmen.

Belfast and its city council should just keep their noses out.
The motion wouldnt pass at Stormont as the UUP and DUP would block it, but look it really is no big deal, it shouldnt cause any trouble or offence to anyone with a progressive, modern outlook- gladly many unionists i know fall into this category although still those out there in the never brigade.

Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
londonirish View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote londonirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

The Stoops chose Belfast CC for their stunt because

a) there aren't enough Nationalist MLAs to win a majority at Stormont

b) Belfast City Hall is particularly symbolic for Unionists

c) the Media can't be arsed travelling to a do in Derry, Newry or some other Nat-majority backwater.

would agree with this. the knuckle draggers have never really recovered since their fleg was taken down from belfast city hall. 

why is it unionist leaders bite every time? 
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 4:25pm
No point in having a reception..i doubt it very much the players would want it and it all seems very small time. If we both get to the quarters or something fair enough. It just gives off the impression to me that we're happy to be there and it doesn't matter if we're humiliated over there...
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 4:29pm
Stickit: if the SDLP had a modern, progressive  outlook (which comes from policies, it isn't enough just to elect a 30-something leader), they wouldn't even consider a witless stunt like this. They are of course just as regressive as the single-issue Unionist parties.

It's quite straightforward. As others have noted above, the only people who could possibly be irritated by this are Unionists. Who are, er, the only people it's directed at.

LondonIrish: the Unionist parties might well blether on about 1916, 1690 etc. but all they're really prioritising is maintaining the vote in 2016. It's worked for them in recent elections (Unionist turnout up, Nationalist down and flirting with further-left parties), so they'll do it again. It's rational for them, they aren't bothered about seeming reactive to you.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 4:31pm
Bronze is right of course- the two FAs won't respond to this in the second half of an English season, regardless of the party political aspects: the players simply wouldn't turn up.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

Stickit: if the SDLP had a modern, progressive  outlook (which comes from policies, it isn't enough just to elect a 30-something leader), they wouldn't even consider a witless stunt like this. They are of course just as regressive as the single-issue Unionist parties.

It's quite straightforward. As others have noted above, the only people who could possibly be irritated by this are Unionists. Who are, er, the only people it's directed at.

LondonIrish: the Unionist parties might well blether on about 1916, 1690 etc. but all they're really prioritising is maintaining the vote in 2016. It's worked for them in recent elections (Unionist turnout up, Nationalist down and flirting with further-left parties), so they'll do it again. It's rational for them, they aren't bothered about seeming reactive to you.

No i dont see the SDLP as very progressive at all, in fact i have been so bewildered by them i havent bothered voting at all in recent elections. A joint civic reception i do see as progressive though- there are many in NI who see themselves as Irish, that however is hardly ever mentioned.

I admit that the parties in the North love nothing more than winding up the 'other side' but really the unionists look so backwards and archaic in their reaction over this- a confident unionism would embrace it but the paranoia is to me unfathomable. Its like aw they're on the windup now trying to annoy us but why should anyone be annoyed, why should anyone feel threatened.

Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 5:24pm
The civic reception will be the last thing on unionists minds when Norn Iron are forced into singing a new anthem this summerLOL
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Jerryfromkerry View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerryfromkerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

The civic reception will be the last thing on unionists minds when Norn Iron are forced into singing a new anthem this summerLOL

First their fleg now their queen
No man has the right to fix the boundary to the march of a nation. No man has the right to say to his country “thus far shalt thou go and no further"
lexie_2005 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lexie_2005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 8:39pm
Lots of Norn Iron fans are actively trying to get rid off GSTQ,There is a subforum on OWC to aid this.
It seems to bother more on here than it does Northern Ireland fans!
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by lexie_2005 lexie_2005 wrote:

Lots of Norn Iron fans are actively trying to get rid off GSTQ,There is a subforum on OWC to aid this.
It seems to bother more on here than it does Northern Ireland fans!

It's always been an odd choice of anthem for them as it contains not a single reference to Northern Ireland in the lyrics (it's mainly about the head of state, refers to 'Britain' in verse 5 and has a dig at the Scots in verse 6).
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

To be fair now lads, it's the first time both nations have qualified for the same tournament and both nations managed by Northern Irishmen, with Michael having also managed as we know with Rovers.  I think the idea is well-intentioned and it seems only Hutchinson and his pathetic mob are making an issue of it.  

Northern Ireland isn't a nation FW and the term 'Northern Irish' is about as accurate as someone like myself describing people from Mayo as Western Irish or dubs as Eastern Irish.

We're all Irish,from the same Island along with our Irish Unionist posters on here, no more no less
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
peterbelfast View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterbelfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 9:18pm
Motion passed, Belfast city council will invite both teams for a civic reception. A loyalist protest tonight had 5 protesters. Pleased that r.o.i followers in the north are being recognised
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 9:22pm
We should have sent up 5 of our lads too and they could have a 5 a side.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Stillhuntinghenry View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 9:35pm
When they are all there getting their photos taken with guys from a few mile up/down the road, some of whom are club mates and all get along hopefully it is not lost on both associations. One island, one country, one team.

When it comes to sport very little divides us
"Not one cent" - RTID on Mark Quigley's pay-off from Shamrock
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by peterbelfast peterbelfast wrote:

Motion passed, Belfast city council will invite both teams for a civic reception. A loyalist protest tonight had 5 protesters. Pleased that r.o.i followers in the north are being recognised

recognised by who ?  Belfast City council ?

I really don't know what is more perplexing

the almost 100% guarantee that unionists will shoot themselves in the foot and threaten/stage a protest - its right up there with Blackadder go Forth and advancing over the top for the umpteenth time as they wont be expecting it

nationalists kidding themselves that it wasn't a sh*t stirring exercise

there could be  a meteor hurtling towards the earth and imminent destruction of the planet and BCC would still be discussing this type of sh*te

'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
peterbelfast View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterbelfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 9:55pm
Recognised by the council who represent the people from the city.The reality is both teams are supported widely in the city so why not have both teams honoured. Tbh I don't care what reaction loyalists will have too it and if their paltry protest is anything to go by, it looks like most people give zero fudge. Any initiative that recognises both traditions in Belfast is a positive thing as far as I am concerned.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 33>
  Share Topic