You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alan McLoughlin RIP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

What a night that was. Even in all the big nights and games since, I don't remember tension like the second half of that game and waiting for the result in Spain. It was absolute torture. Correct me if i'm wrong, but if the Danes had equalised late on against Spain, it didn't matter to Spain as the draw would have done them? I remember thinking 'those Spanish c*nts will have heard our result and won't try a leg in the last few mins'. Thank christ they did!!

Apparently Spain were under the impression that NI and the Republic were friendly and that the north would allow the ROI to win. This was the real reason they went all out for the win. There's a brilliant article about that night, not just the Belfast game but all the qualifiers played that evening, one of the best football articles I've ever read :

was just going to post this article, fantastic read Clap something you would never get again with all the playoffs
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
Sponsored Links

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

As there was no tv coverage in England
I watched it in a packed pub in London.
One of the very first Setanta broadcasts.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

What a night that was. Even in all the big nights and games since, I don't remember tension like the second half of that game and waiting for the result in Spain. It was absolute torture. Correct me if i'm wrong, but if the Danes had equalised late on against Spain, it didn't matter to Spain as the draw would have done them? I remember thinking 'those Spanish c*nts will have heard our result and won't try a leg in the last few mins'. Thank christ they did!!
Yeah, Spain only needed a draw.  Zubizaretta was sent off early on, Canizares came on and had an unbelievable game. Hierro got the all important goal. I believe that Spain where a bogey team for Denmark at the time. I saw the highlights of that game recently and Denmark put serious pressure on Spain.
Danes had just won the Euros so it was a great result to get out of the group
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Yeah, Spain only needed a draw.  Zubizaretta was sent off early on, Canizares came on and had an unbelievable game. Hierro got the all important goal. I believe that Spain where a bogey team for Denmark at the time. I saw the highlights of that game recently and Denmark put serious pressure on Spain.

Won it after not qualifying originally due to Yugoslavia not competing. Still think that was our best chance at winning a tournament had we qualified, team was at it's peak and was better than Denmark in my opinion. Finals still only had 8 teams in it back then. Never should have finished behind England, should have beaten them at Wembley, threw away a 2 goal lead in the last 15 minutes away to Poland and that boz eyed little prick Dennis Wise punched the ball in away to Turkey to give them a one nil win over there. Such a shame we didn't make it.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 7:32pm
Yes we could have won Euro92.

Only decent team that year were the Dutch who bottled it against the Danes, van Basten missing a penalty.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Won it after not qualifying originally due to Yugoslavia not competing. Still think that was our best chance at winning a tournament had we qualified, team was at it's peak and was better than Denmark in my opinion. Finals still only had 8 teams in it back then. Never should have finished behind England, should have beaten them at Wembley, threw away a 2 goal lead in the last 15 minutes away to Poland and that boz eyed little prick Dennis Wise punched the ball in away to Turkey to give them a one nil win over there. Such a shame we didn't make it.

England were so jammy in qualifying but while we had a pretty good team, we were our own worst enemies at times, not just Ray Houghton blowing that chance at Wembley and wasting a 2-goal lead in Poland but there was also our failure to beat Poland on an awful pitch at Lansdowne Road.

Such a shame because I'd say we would have got our act together and made a decent go at the tournament.
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 11:37pm
It was a very different Poznan back in 1991 compared to 2012.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

England were so jammy in qualifying but while we had a pretty good team, we were our own worst enemies at times, not just Ray Houghton blowing that chance at Wembley and wasting a 2-goal lead in Poland but there was also our failure to beat Poland on an awful pitch at Lansdowne Road.

Such a shame because I'd say we would have got our act together and made a decent go at the tournament.

We failed to win a single one of the four games against England or Poland, and that is what cost us.

England ran out of luck though two years later with Graham Taylor's infamous "Do I not like that" whilst we had a touch of fortune in getting through to the USA in the way we did.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 12:04am
The draw at home to the Poles done us. They came here with no intention of winning the game, and the keeper was down every couple of minutes to waste more time to get their point.

Ireland and England got draws in Poland. England beat them at home on the first day of the group. We didn't. The extra point made the difference.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 12:11am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

It was a very different Poznan back in 1991 compared to 2012.

How so ?

The city or the fans ?

Heard there was trouble.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 12:23am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

The draw at home to the Poles done us. They came here with no intention of winning the game, and the keeper was down every couple of minutes to waste more time to get their point.

Ireland and England got draws in Poland. England beat them at home on the first day of the group. We didn't. The extra point made the difference.

Though you could argue failing to finish England off at Wembley was just as bad : we were all over them and could have won 3-1.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 2:03am

Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

We failed to win a single one of the four games against England or Poland, and that is what cost us.

England ran out of luck though two years later with Graham Taylor's infamous "Do I not like that" whilst we had a touch of fortune in getting through to the USA in the way we did.

Can't say we were unlucky in 94 qualifying, had a perfectly good winner from Aldridge disallowed in Spain and got the results we deserved otherwise.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 6:16am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Sorry I meant itv/bbc etc.

It must have been jumping in the pub that night.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
greengooner View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greengooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 8:44am

Apparently Spain were under the impression that NI and the Republic were friendly and that the north would allow the ROI to win. This was the real reason they went all out for the win. There's a brilliant article about that night, not just the Belfast game but all the qualifiers played that evening, one of the best football articles I've ever read :

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/feb/15/forgotten-story-17-november-1993
ClapClapClap

Not only comedy gold, but historical gold.

I'd forgotten about poor old Wales that night. CryCry

Brilliant Article
Platini are you listening
You'd better keep your trophy glistening
Cos we'll be over next year
To drink all your beer,
Walking in an Irish Wonderland.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 9:56am

Poland home was really frustrating.  While we should have won that we had the game won in Poznan and gifted them 2 goals. 

I recall Poznan as being pretty grim in 1991 and the stadium was falling apart.  Other than that I can't say much.

Poland were denied a nailed on penalty when 1-0 v England which would have also put us through had they won on the last day.

I agree it probably was the peak of that team. For USA94 we started very well.  Great scoreless draw in Denmark in a cracking game in a cracking atmosphere.  Then had Aldo's goal disallowed in Seville (he was a yard onside) but again a decent point.  We battered NI in March. Denmark deserved their draw in Dublin and we were virtually through when we got the 3 away wins in the summer of 1993 in Albania, Latvia and Lithuania. 

We stumbled over the line though after that. Spain home was horrific.  Still we got there on goals scored having the same goal difference as Denmark.  We seemed to be heading for decline then but the three amigos appeared on the scene (Babb, Kelly and McAteer) and we had a great run in to America.  We beat the Dutch and Germans on their own patch in warm ups and then beat Italy in the opening match.  We were serious contenders to win the thing then.      
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by greengooner greengooner wrote:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/feb/15/forgotten-story-17-november-1993
ClapClapClap

Brilliant Article

That's brilliant about Kostadinov not even meant to be in the country at the time he scored the goals LOL
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 1:27pm

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Sorry I meant itv/bbc etc.

It must have been jumping in the pub that night.
English girl from work came with us that night, just for the craic, no interest in football at all.
Pub was so packed that she had to stand where she couldnt see the telly, yes young lads only wee tellies in those days, anyway when McLoughlin scored, an almighty roar went up that nearly took the roof off the place. She got such a shock, trauma to the ear drums, that she walked out and went home LOLLOL
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by greengooner greengooner wrote:

ClapClapClap

Brilliant Article

Reading the article, I'm not so sure the missed penalty for Wales was the game changer that people think. It happened in the 63rd minute, meaning there was still half an hour to go and we know that Romania kept piling forward and creating chances for that last half hour. It would have been different if Bodin had missed the penalty in the 88th minute. Even if the penalty had gone in, there's no guarantee whatsoever the Welsh would have been able to hang to that lead......their defence on the night was looking very shaky.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic