You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alan McLoughlin RIP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote An Tiobraideach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 9:01pm
I'll always remember McLoughlin's goal-not only how great it was but the joy and relief I felt when it went in the back of the net-twas late enough in the game if I remember correctly.
Eddie McGoldrick was my favourite Ireland player at the time but McLoughlin instantly became my hero that night!!
His last fond wish had been fulfilled to lie in his native land,and the wild waves roll in peace again on the lonely Banna Strand.
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Seen that yeah, shocking

And it was in 93 LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 10:15pm

22 years ago today ..

Holy f**k making me feel old and I ain't 30 for another few months
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
tobymcclure View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobymcclure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 1:02am
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

On a side note..had a browse at OWC forum today. They're a bitter bunch about us qualifiying!

If they're such great, family-friendly fans why do they have to protect their forum? Can only imagine the bile

Which is why I, for one, am glad we can't get drawn into the same group as them. Would also prefer if the draw works out that they'll be in different parts of the country from us on any given day of the tournament tbh. We're definitely both gonna be in pot 4 tho aren't we? Thought I read that elsewhere on this forum.

Thank god we did qualify though! once they did, we had to!! 
Row F, bird with the viking hat- check out the size of her b**bs            
An Tiobraideach View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote An Tiobraideach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 1:11am
Didn't Steve Staunton score directly from a corner kick against them at Lansdowne Road in that qualifying campaign?
His last fond wish had been fulfilled to lie in his native land,and the wild waves roll in peace again on the lonely Banna Strand.
Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 1:13am

Yeah in the home game v NI, about 3 mins in 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ2qpdhI6BQ

Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 2:32am
Originally posted by An Tiobraideach An Tiobraideach wrote:

Didn't Steve Staunton score directly from a corner kick against them at Lansdowne Road in that qualifying campaign?

He did indeed.

Interestingly, that game may have sparked off the foul atmosphere at Windsor six months later. When the Republic went 3-0, the Irish fans started singing "There's only team in Ireland". A bit cheeky maybe, but I don't think they meant any malice. However it seems the NI supporters were absolutely seething and viewed it as provocative in the extreme. The atmosphere in Belfast was horrendous but in the eyes of Billy Bingham, "the Irish supporters gave us some stick in Dublin and now they're getting some stick back". In reality it was a night of sectarian bigotry.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 6:43am
As there was no tv coverage in England I listened to this game on a crackling connection on RTE in my brothers car radio in Sunderland .
His neighbours were most bemused when we running up and down the street celebrating the famous goal.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 6:53am
Why changed to '94 ??!! Mods are taking the piss here
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 7:11am

Why changed to '94 ??!! Mods are taking the piss here
Sorted
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 7:45am
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

He did indeed.

Interestingly, that game may have sparked off the foul atmosphere at Windsor six months later. When the Republic went 3-0, the Irish fans started singing "There's only team in Ireland". A bit cheeky maybe, but I don't think they meant any malice. However it seems the NI supporters were absolutely seething and viewed it as provocative in the extreme. The atmosphere in Belfast was horrendous but in the eyes of Billy Bingham, "the Irish supporters gave us some stick in Dublin and now they're getting some stick back". In reality it was a night of sectarian bigotry.

That chant was only a football chant but yes it didn't help and it was returned with interest after Jimmy Quinn's goal.

Other factors were the efforts by the FAI to get the game moved.  England was muted and there was a rumour it was to be played in Munich. 

It was also an incredibly tense time in NI.  Greysteel and the Shankhill Road bombings had just happened and there were real fears of more sectarian tit for tat killings.  The IRA/INLA had also targeted 2 other NI home games in the previous decade.  

There is no doubt it was a tense atmosphere and there was plenty of sectarianism such as "fenian bastards", Billy Boys etc.  However this was totally overblown at the time.  I didn't realise how bad it was until I got back to work in Galway the following day.  I was in the lower deck of the North Stand with the home fans and lost it completely when Alan McLoughlin scored.  However I was in no way threatened or harmed.  Indeed the guy in front of me who had ben leading the chants looked pretty sheepish.  

The big factor was most people here though NI would want us to win and would let us win.  The whole country was watching not just football fans. 
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 8:39am
Awful game, unbearable tension, unbridled joy when Alan Who scored and more brown jocks waiting on Spain to hang on.

Did give rise however to Declan O'Brien's masterpiece monologue on the occasion 👏👏😀
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 8:54am
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Awful game, unbearable tension, unbridled joy when Alan Who scored and more brown jocks waiting on Spain to hang on.

Did give rise however to Declan O'Brien's masterpiece monologue on the occasion 👏👏😀

Hopefully a certain ybigger will give it an airing in France for us next year Wink
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 9:32am
What a night that was. Even in all the big nights and games since, I don't remember tension like the second half of that game and waiting for the result in Spain. It was absolute torture. Correct me if i'm wrong, but if the Danes had equalised late on against Spain, it didn't matter to Spain as the draw would have done them? I remember thinking 'those Spanish c*nts will have heard our result and won't try a leg in the last few mins'. Thank christ they did!!
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

What a night that was. Even in all the big nights and games since, I don't remember tension like the second half of that game and waiting for the result in Spain. It was absolute torture. Correct me if i'm wrong, but if the Danes had equalised late on against Spain, it didn't matter to Spain as the draw would have done them? I remember thinking 'those Spanish c*nts will have heard our result and won't try a leg in the last few mins'. Thank christ they did!!
Yeah, Spain only needed a draw.  Zubizaretta was sent off early on, Canizares came on and had an unbelievable game. Hierro got the all important goal. I believe that Spain where a bogey team for Denmark at the time. I saw the highlights of that game recently and Denmark put serious pressure on Spain.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 12:34pm

Interestingly, that game may have sparked off the foul atmosphere at Windsor six months later. When the Republic went 3-0, the Irish fans started singing "There's only team in Ireland". A bit cheeky maybe, but I don't think they meant any malice. However it seems the NI supporters were absolutely seething and viewed it as provocative in the extreme.

What our fans sang is correct. We just reminded the brits in green (or purple) of that fact. Not our fault if they couldn't take it.

The atmosphere at the game in the UK was purely because of the multiple terrorist incidents in the weeks up there beforehand. It was Bingham's last game in charge, so they were never going to surrender to us. We had to go up there and earn the result to put us through.
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

He did indeed.

That chant was only a football chant but yes it didn't help and it was returned with interest after Jimmy Quinn's goal.

Other factors were the efforts by the FAI to get the game moved.  England was muted and there was a rumour it was to be played in Munich. 

It was also an incredibly tense time in NI.  Greysteel and the Shankhill Road bombings had just happened and there were real fears of more sectarian tit for tat killings.  The IRA/INLA had also targeted 2 other NI home games in the previous decade.  

There is no doubt it was a tense atmosphere and there was plenty of sectarianism such as "fenian bastards", Billy Boys etc.  However this was totally overblown at the time.  I didn't realise how bad it was until I got back to work in Galway the following day.  I was in the lower deck of the North Stand with the home fans and lost it completely when Alan McLoughlin scored.  However I was in no way threatened or harmed.  Indeed the guy in front of me who had ben leading the chants looked pretty sheepish.  

The big factor was most people here though NI would want us to win and would let us win.  The whole country was watching not just football fans. 

On the other hand, there were the monkey chants for Paul McGrath and Terry Phelan (completely audible on TV) and McGrath said in his autobiography it was by far the worst atmosphere he had ever encountered in his entire career. I'm convinced the NI fans turned up with the sole reason of watching their team stop the Republic qualifying, there was a real negative energy to the evening and there was nothing of the normal local derby about it (it was more akin to the Serbia - Albania clash last year).

Undoubtedly the recent atrocities fuelled up the tension and the bad atmosphere, I think the Shankill Road bombings and the Greysteel massacre had happened shortly beforehand. Bingham of course was reckless in the extreme in cranking up the tension in the days before the game and during the match itself. He single handedly destroyed his reputation that night. Most people in the Republic up until then viewed him as a kindly grandfather figure smoking his pipe who had performed miracles with NI. 
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Apparently Spain were under the impression that NI and the Republic were friendly and that the north would allow the ROI to win. This was the real reason they went all out for the win. There's a brilliant article about that night, not just the Belfast game but all the qualifiers played that evening, one of the best football articles I've ever read :

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/feb/15/forgotten-story-17-november-1993
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic