You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daryl Horgan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5556575859>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 11:50am
I'm not a massive fan of Horgan and as said he was dropped from a wycombe side for the last 5 weeks of the season but was ever present for them in the prior games.

I dont think he's championship standard primarily.due to him not being a consistent performer and struggles with fitness over 90 mins.

When he came on for ireland yesterday I thought it was a poor substitution.

However - he's been one of the better performers for ireland when he comes on and yesterday he was really good. He puts more quality on the ball than mcclean ever does.

That's the difficulty in choosing him, we have a player playing for a poor championship team (now league 1) and struggling to nail down his position of late.

On the other hand, every time he's come on for ireland he's been one of the only players making an impact with clever runs, good quality on the ball and now he's popping up with a deserved goal and assist.

He's a selection headache in that respect.
Sponsored Links

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 11:50am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Horgan has impacted games for us in fairness. Hes a decent player. Set up a goal yesterday and scored. 
The bit i liked yesterday was James took the throw in you expected him to lay it back to him but he turned the defender on the inside and put the cross in for the goal , outstanding Clap
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 10:27am
Has been brilliant for us every time I’ve seen him play under Kenny, would go as far as saying he’s been our best player since Kenny took over. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 10:49am
I like him as a super sub. Would still have Robinson, Connolly and Parrott ahead of him at least and probably mcclean too at this moment 
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 11:02am
His control across his chest was great to see last night, it's be a long time since I've seen a bit of skill like that from a player in green. Surely he can get regular football at a club at a decent level somewhere.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 11:08am
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

Has been brilliant for us every time I’ve seen him play under Kenny, would go as far as saying he’s been our best player since Kenny took over. 
Really like how direct he has been, similar to Ogbene it creates a bit of a buzz as we don’t enter have players willing to take on and beat a man. He’s been more effective off the bench though than when he’s started games.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 11:29am
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

His control across his chest was great to see last night, it's be a long time since I've seen a bit of skill like that from a player in green. Surely he can get regular football at a club at a decent level somewhere.

Couldn't agree more, high level technical ability to chest that ball, have a look over his shoulder and knock the ball to idah for a chance.

For ireland he's done some really good stuff and I can't fault him. 

Makes me wonder why he isn't fancied for his club teams? There's always been question marks as a 90min player. He struggled to get into the wycombe team for the last few months.

Is it his attitude towards fitness? His focus for club games? 

There's a good bit of talent and skill there but the consistency at club level is a concern. 

Hate his club form but he's been good for ireland.... very frustrating as you want to choose the inform players.

Edited by Left foot - 09 Jun 2021 at 11:30am
turbo10 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 11:32am
Bergkamp would have been proud of his control and cross last night. Like a lot of our players he's not doing great at club level, but he's done enough for  us to show that he's good enough for an impact sub role.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 11:34am
there are players who raise their game for international football and mick McCarthy used to pick these players for Ireland despite their club form. Because we live in a world of lots of football on tv and stats people are preoccupied by lads club form etc but I think Kenny should go with players that do it for him and then up and perform for Ireland and in some ways ignore club form to an extent. Look at Mitrovic for Serbia and Fulham is a case in point.  Duffy did well last night despite being out of sorts at Celtic. Kenny could do worse than reward Ireland form rather than club form. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

there are players who raise their game for international football and mick McCarthy used to pick these players for Ireland despite their club form. Because we live in a world of lots of football on tv and stats people are preoccupied by lads club form etc but I think Kenny should go with players that do it for him and then up and perform for Ireland and in some ways ignore club form to an extent. Look at Mitrovic for Serbia and Fulham is a case in point.  Duffy did well last night despite being out of sorts at Celtic. Kenny could do worse than reward Ireland form rather than club form. 

I agree with that and Duffy has been good for ireland. However if oshea, Collins and Egan are playing well for their respective clubs do you still play Duffy ahead of them if he's not performing well for his club? 

Also - defensively we were setup very deep which suits Duffy and accommodates his type of play

If we play a higher defensive line Duffy struggles badly. (At club level this is clearly demonstrated) 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 11:49am
I think football teams are all about making them greater than the sum of their parts esp at average international teams.  There are many factors that go into why a players form at club level is good or bad.  As you say tactically it may not suit a player at club level in the system they are in but the system for
Their country could be perfect or vice versa. Doherty is the reverse of that for a long time.  Obviously huge talents need to be always picked for their team but when their are tight calls I would go with the lad who does it for Ireland time and time again.  Hourihane has been cat for Ireland for a while now, should he play, I would say not despite his goals for Swansea.  Horgan is a lad who has barely played recently but has been great for Ireland again.  That form for Ireland should be rewarded imo. 

Edited by Baldrick - 09 Jun 2021 at 11:59am
AKA pedantic kunt
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I agree with that and Duffy has been good for ireland. However if oshea, Collins and Egan are playing well for their respective clubs do you still play Duffy ahead of them if he's not performing well for his club? 

Also - defensively we were setup very deep which suits Duffy and accommodates his type of play

If we play a higher defensive line Duffy struggles badly. (At club level this is clearly demonstrated) 

Look at Duffys mix up last night from an admittedly fizzy back pass from Cullen. He was good and I’m delighted for him and have actually been an advocate of having him in the squad when others have been saying leave him out. 

Egan O’Shea and hopefully Collins and Omobamidele can kick on and establish themselves further long term he’s not the solution but I would take him as a 4th or 5th choice experienced player in what will be a squad of a lot of young players and that will only get more pronounced in the next couple of years with the younger lads coming through/lack of players aged 23-28.

Edited by kevin100 - 09 Jun 2021 at 11:52am
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 11:52am
whats left on his wycombe contract?
DublinScouse1916 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DublinScouse1916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 12:20pm
Think Horgan would really benefit from moving to mainland Europe. Somewhere like Grasshopper in Switzerland. They took a punt on Connor Ronan
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 12:27pm

100%

The North squad is full of players who do well at international level and have had pretty poor club careers
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

100%

The North squad is full of players who do well at international level and have had pretty poor club careers

Was just going to make a similar point. 

Even with O'Neill gone, N.I. are still greater than the sum of their parts under Baraclough going by their performances. Despite the positive result against Hungary last night, I don't think Kenny has the pragmatism to make the most out of our limitations despite having a better squad of players than N.I. 

He's going to try and have us play out from the back and through Portugal which could result in a heavier loss than we wold have over previous Irish managers who would be more defensively minded. Hopefully I'm proven completely wrong and he sticks with the defensive 3 of Duffy-Egan & O'Shea in Faro.  

In regards to Horgan, everytime he touched the ball last last night he used it very well. I think most on here didn't think he was up to international level not long ago including myself but he has arguably been the best performer out of everyone under Kenny. Fair dues to him and he already looks to be a brilliant impact sub option off the bench. Clap

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 1:41pm
Agreed Horgan has done well when he's come on, himself and Ogbene nearly won the game for us with their directness.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by DublinScouse1916 DublinScouse1916 wrote:

Think Horgan would really benefit from moving to mainland Europe. Somewhere like Grasshopper in Switzerland. They took a punt on Connor Ronan

Cc Baggio

That’s a new one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5556575859>
  Share Topic