You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Daryl Horgan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 59>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Four-Four-Two Four-Four-Two wrote:

he is a useful player, gets talked down because of his team profile

I plead guilty to criticising Horgan in the past. Mea culpa. He started two of Kenny's Awful Eight and was excellent in one and solid in the other. But he was dragged early in both games. 

Collins (the other hopeless  makeweight) was also good and had two shots on target against Bulgaria. Unheard of! He was subbed off too. 

Horgan and Collins were playing regular football, Brady and hourihane were not. Could be one of the factors when it comes to performance 

Credit where it's due, LF. Horgan had been on the bench for weeks at Wycombe. His performances in green were better than anything Brady and/or Hourihane have produced in recent times regardless of regular football - although Brady's form looked marginally better. 

Horgan appears to be getting a run for Wycombe at the moment. Always rated him and he'll guarantee you a 6/10 every game.
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 1:53pm

I plead guilty to criticising Horgan in the past. Mea culpa. He started two of Kenny's Awful Eight and was excellent in one and solid in the other. But he was dragged early in both games. 

Collins (the other hopeless  makeweight) was also good and had two shots on target against Bulgaria. Unheard of! He was subbed off too. 

Horgan and Collins were playing regular football, Brady and hourihane were not. Could be one of the factors when it comes to performance 

Credit where it's due, LF. Horgan had been on the bench for weeks at Wycombe. His performances in green were better than anything Brady and/or Hourihane have produced in recent times regardless of regular football - although Brady's form looked marginally better. 

Yeah, fair play, I was one of the most vocal about the selection of Horgan but he was one of the better players for sure.

He was in and out of the Wycombe team at the start of the season but seems to have locked down his position on merit alone. Wycombe seem to have improved also.

I guess the cynic in me sees Horgan as a player who can be useful for ireland but not take us to the next level.

The only example i could give is that Connolly and Horgan have contributed equally in terms of Ireland performances so far but I think Connolly has the potential to make us a better team.

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 1:56pm
He seems like a tough player to play against. Decent acceleration, low centre of gravity, two good feet, good crosser and finisher. I’ve always thought that he’s a decent player, but I’m guessing he has some other weaknesses that his club managers see
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 2:13pm
His impact on a game tends to lessen as the games go on so he's definitely more suited to an impact sub role. He's unlike most of our other attackers in terms of how direct he is, similar to Connolly in that sense.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Horgan appears to be getting a run for Wycombe at the moment. Always rated him and he'll guarantee you a 6/10 every game.

He didn't get off the bench in the midweek game. Would see him more as an impact sub against a tiring defence 

I wouldn't be relying on him as one of our main players. Could do a job off 
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

He seems like a tough player to play against. Decent acceleration, low centre of gravity, two good feet, good crosser and finisher. I’ve always thought that he’s a decent player, but I’m guessing he has some other weaknesses that his club managers see

He is blowing out his arse after 65/70 mins but to be fair I think it's because of the shift he puts in. Great man to kill himself to get in the box too. Definitley has a role to play in the squad, I thought he was underutilsied  previously tbh, our wide options have been poor for a while
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 11:06pm
Is Horgan the first Galway man to score for Ireland?

Lee, Cunningham, Connolly and Manning are other Galwegians who've played for Ireland, but none of them have scored.

Can't think of anyone else off-hand.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Is Horgan the first Galway man to score for Ireland?

Lee, Cunningham, Connolly and Manning are other Galwegians who've played for Ireland, but none of them have scored.

Can't think of anyone else off-hand.
He might be, I'm not sure of anyone else. Alan Lee, and David Forde are both from Galway
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 11:42pm
Very strange situation with Horgan. As a sub player coming on for ireland he's done OK. Today as a case on point.

The bad news is, he simply.cant get into a wycombe team that has had a terrible season in the championship and relegated to league 1.

At his age he should be in his prime but If ireland ever get into the position of choosing players on form he simply wouldn't make it.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 12:05am

Very strange situation with Horgan. As a sub player coming on for ireland he's done OK. Today as a case on point.

The bad news is, he simply.cant get into a wycombe team that has had a terrible season in the championship and relegated to league 1.

At his age he should be in his prime but If ireland ever get into the position of choosing players on form he simply wouldn't make it.

People have been saying this about Horgan all season, but he was a regular up until after the Serbia and Luxembourg games, after which he lost his place in the team.

You could instead make the point, and you'd be right, that Wycombe's form greatly improved from late-March onwards and they made a good stab at surviving relegation.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 12:42am

Silly some posts today and this may be a contender for the worst one!

They were expected to beat Rotherham for the lowest pts total ever and ended up taking it to the final day, if that aint overachieving I don't know what is!

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 12:55am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

They were expected to beat Rotherham for the lowest pts total ever and ended up taking it to the final day, if that aint overachieving I don't know what is!

Yes, there was a late resurgence by wycombe towards the end of the season, where horgan barely featured for the last 10 odd games.

So wycombe were better when Horgan wasn't in the team. 

So I'm not really sure why my post is considered silly? 
Didiseyebrows View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Didiseyebrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 3:00am

Yes, there was a late resurgence by wycombe towards the end of the season, where horgan barely featured for the last 10 odd games.

He played in 40 of their matches. 

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 7:35am
I think that he can be an effective sub for us no matter who we play. His crossing can be ok at times and he's willing to take someone on.

His effectiveness wears off after a while, which we saw in his last few appearances when he started, which is why he's best suited to a sub role.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 8:31am
Originally posted by Didiseyebrows Didiseyebrows wrote:

He played in 40 of their matches. 

Intentionally misleading to throw 40 matches out there when you are probably fully aware he was a late sub in a lot of the games. 

As I said, he barely played in the last 10 games 
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 8:36am
I was moaning in the other thread when he was being brought on, but I have to hold my hands up and say he done well. Great cross for Kinghts goal and an excellent header for his own. Can't really ask more than that 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 11:38am
Confused

Last season Daryl Horgan started 28 games for Wycombe and was an ever-present until the final 5 weeks of the season.

To put that into perspective, Callum O'Dowda has never started more than 20 games in an entire season in his career to date. Yet he has started way more games for us.

Last season, James McClean started a grand total of 17 games for Stoke, and we are still relying on him.

I'd love to know where all these players are who should be taking Horgan's place in the team/squad.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 11:44am
Horgan has impacted games for us in fairness. Hes a decent player. Set up a goal yesterday and scored. 
I love beer gardens
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 59>
  Share Topic