Daryl Horgan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 59>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daryl Horgan
    Posted: 01 Aug 2023 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Has signed for Dundalk again on a two and half year deal.

Nice one. Good signing and im sure he will do well back in the league. Good to see him back
I love beer gardens
Sponsored Links

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2023 at 10:49pm
Has signed for Dundalk again on a two and half year deal.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 10:35pm
Released by Wycombe. He had been on loan at Stevenage down in League 2 but was in and out of the team there - they were promoted so may not want to sign him for a League 1 campaign.

A serious drop-off for a player who made three appearances in our last qualifying campaign just 18 months or so ago.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

He’s signed for Stevenage until June.
Then Dundalk?
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 6:28pm
He’s signed for Stevenage until June.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2023 at 5:32pm
Out of contract in the summer and only bit part player for them, id imagine they'd take a small fee for him and be no worse off without him.

Would Dundalk have that kind of money with the yanks gone?

Edited by Bandwagon - 01 Jan 2023 at 5:33pm
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2023 at 5:08pm
Dundalk. 
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2023 at 3:44pm
wycombe fans seem to think he's going back to Ireland this window. Not in the squad today 
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 1:05am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

It's going to be an unpopular opinion but we need to move away from players that are either winding down their careers or don't have the ability to play at a good level.

When we play top tier teams we'll get badly found wanting.

Horgan, hourihane, mcclean, I would say mcgrath too are not good enough to take the team forward.

Would be better to see mcnamara, kilkenny, Manning and Coventry in ahead of them.

Even though they may not be ready to deliver straight away, but better give a player experience than rely on players that can just about 'do a job'

I definitely agree with the sentiment, just not all the players you named.

Hourihane definitely has to go. He's not good enough to begin with and now he's clearly in decline. As I said in another thread, he hasn't even started a competitive game for us since November 2020 (in the middle of a massive injury crisis), which shows exactly where he is in Kenny's view.

Horgan though, I think is still a useful squad option, especially for the June games. When you look at the other options for that AM position it's just Browne & Knight who are fit. They could get get 2 starts each & Horgan could play support, seeing out the last 10 or 15 mins. He gives a burst of energy & a bit of creativity that would be useful and help avoid flogging Knight/Browne.

McGrath is good, and at 25 can still improve. Just made a bad move to Wigan, hopefully will get in their XI next season, frankly they'll need him to survive.

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

No we don't. You play your best players, the onus is on the younger ones to take the change when the opportunity arises. 

The reality is you don't like some of these senior players and big up some of the younger players who have done absolutely nothing in their careers to warrant a place in the squad let alone the actual team.

McClean isn't one of our best players anymore. At 33 he is very clearly in decline. Keep in mind we're still building a squad for the Euros campaign, he'll be 34/35 for the Qualifiers & Finals.

While generally yes, it would be up to the younger players to push out the older ones, we generally aren't in a position to wait for that to happen. It's literally why we've capped so many young players over the last 2 years. Especially Idah & Parrott, they were brought in because our forward line was absolutely threadbare. Those 2 in particular were clearly not ready at the time, but it was an investment in for the future.

Similarly, I think Kilkenny & Coventry need to be called up and blooded. It will stand to us over the next 2 years. Both have done more in senior football now than Idah & Parrott had when they were called up. Both are already more useful than Hourihane in open play and will only get better.

There is another campaign left in McClean and with a fully fit squad he's going be on the bench anyway, but with a lot of games coming up, he's going to play.

I'm not sure there is.
Now obviously we can't just drop McClean if there's no replacement, but if it's a choice between Manning & McClean getting a game, Manning should get the nod.

Hopefully Bagan continues getting regular games next season. And hopefully the likes of Tayo Adaramola & Shane Flynn get out on loan because with the way McClean & Stevens are going over the next 12-24 months it'll be a short path to the senior team for young LWBs as long as they are playing at a decent level (League 1 or higher).

Edited by Greenie50 - 23 May 2022 at 1:10am
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

Can’t ever see him retiring from Ireland - I’m sure he will want and will get to 100 caps.

He'll get the 100...could get 4 more caps in a few weeks!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 7:23pm
He'll probably get to it too.

I don't think many players retire, they just stopped getting picked!
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 7:21pm

Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

I don't disagree with the sentiment but unfair to write someone as young as McGrath off. At 25, he is much younger than the rest of that group. Also, I think it would be a bad idea to drop McClean. He has produced on occasion and he surely drives standards in terms of workrate at training and games. 

Horgan and Hourihane- yes, I don't see the point. 

This is simply not going to happen. It's just this poster doesn't like him and taking a cheap shot.

There is another campaign left in McClean and with a fully fit squad he's going be on the bench anyway, but with a lot of games coming up, he's going to play.

Can’t ever see him retiring from Ireland - I’m sure he will want and will get to 100 caps.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

I don't disagree with the sentiment but unfair to write someone as young as McGrath off. At 25, he is much younger than the rest of that group. Also, I think it would be a bad idea to drop McClean. He has produced on occasion and he surely drives standards in terms of workrate at training and games. 

This is simply not going to happen. It's just this poster doesn't like him and taking a cheap shot.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

It's going to be an unpopular opinion but we need to move away from players that are either winding down their careers or don't have the ability to play at a good level.

When we play top tier teams we'll get badly found wanting.

Horgan, hourihane, mcclean, I would say mcgrath too are not good enough to take the team forward.

Would be better to see mcnamara, kilkenny, Manning and Coventry in ahead of them.

Even though they may not be ready to deliver straight away, but better give a player experience than rely on players that can just about 'do a job'

No we don't. You play your best players, the onus is on the younger ones to take the change when the opportunity arises. 

The reality is you don't like some of these senior players and big up some of the younger players who have done absolutely nothing in their careers to warrant a place in the squad let alone the actual team.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 6:54pm

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 6:46pm
Not sure who would find that an unpopular opinion. Apart from aforementioned players
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 4:22pm
Surprised he was subbed today for Wycombe as he was playing well and had some decent touches and passes. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 4:13pm
Scores.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 59>
  Share Topic