Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2015 Awards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2015 Awards
    Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 10:09am
Was an interesting year. Thankfully the headlines were all on the field matters- lets have an auld row on the below and feel free to add others.

Flop of the season - team
Flop of the season - player
Surprise team of the season
Surprise player of the season
Manager of the season
Flop manager of the season
Best signing of the season
Worst signing of the season

Sponsored Links

roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 10:15am
Flop of the season - team - Unquestionably Sligo. What a disaster.
Flop of the season - player - For me Danny North. Was signed to score goals which he failed to do and is a physical disgrace
Surprise team of the season - To me its Dundalk. To retain the title with that ease was a shock to most people.
Surprise player of the season - Vinnie Faherty for me. Basically dragged Limerick off the bottom.
Manager of the season - Martin Russell for the great escape, but they were bottom for 32 of 33 weeks.  Keegan bringing the Yooof up is worth a shout.
Flop manager of the season - Toss up between Roderick and Heary.
Best signing of the season - For me Brandon Miele at Rovers. He has it all and can go very far.
Worst signing of the season - Ryan Brennan. So bad it was actually funny.
The Boy Z View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boy Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 10:47am
Flop of the season - team - Rovers. Dire to watch and never got close to winning anything. Mention for Sligo.
Flop of the season - player - Tough one. Fahey was the big pre season transfer so I will go with him.
Surprise team of the season - Dundalk. To win the league at a canter was a shock.
Surprise player of the season - Roberto Lopes. Rarely has a bad game for Bohs.
Manager of the season - Keith Long has done an incredible job at Bohs.
Flop manager of the season - Fenlon.
Best signing of the season - Akinade. Different dimension to Bohs after July.
Worst signing of the season - Mark Quigley to Derry. Waste of money.
Theres only one sport that matters..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 11:23am
Rovers and Fenlon as bigger flops than Sligo or Derry? Come on ourra dat.

AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 11:29am
Flop of the season - Has to be Sligo
Flop of the season - Probably Keith Fahey given the expectation
Surprise team of the season - The Boez
Surprise player of the season - Akinade, vastly improved since his Bray days
Manager of the season - Bohs again, Keith Long
Flop manager of the season - Owen Heary
Best signing of the season - Damien Duff, looking forward to seeing if he can make an impact next season
Worst signing of the season - Kieran Djilali

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
The Boy Z View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boy Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 11:31am
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Rovers and Fenlon as bigger flops than Sligo or Derry? Come on ourra dat.

At the start of the season I was thinking Rovers would be maximum 5 points away from the title. To finish 13 off was a very poor effort I think. 

The style of football was terrible to watch, fans voting with their feet too.

You think Fenlon/Rovers have reached their goals this year?

I didn't know what to expect from either Sligo or Derry at the start of the year. Granted not a relegation battle but to finish 5th-8th. 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 11:42am
Flop of the season - Sligo (followed by Pats)
Flop of the season - Fahey
Surprise team of the season - Pats, surprising how bad they were
Surprise player of the season - Faherty
Manager of the season - Kenny, just ahead of Tony Cousins
Flop manager of the season - Heary
Best signing of the season - Miele
Worst signing of the season - Fahey

" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 11:42am
Originally posted by The Boy Z The Boy Z wrote:

At the start of the season I was thinking Rovers would be maximum 5 points away from the title. To finish 13 off was a very poor effort I think. 

The style of football was terrible to watch, fans voting with their feet too.

You think Fenlon/Rovers have reached their goals this year?

I didn't know what to expect from either Sligo or Derry at the start of the year. Granted not a relegation battle but to finish 5th-8th. 
We have explicitly reached our goals, which was European football and a better league finish than last season. Am I ecstatic, no. But to say the season when we finished third losing 4 games was a flop is disingenuous. Most other years that would have been in the mix for the title. You cannot say we had a worse season than Sligo.
Twoinarow View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twoinarow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 11:50am
Flop of the season - Danny North
Surprise team of the season - Sham Rovers/Sligo that they were so bad
Surprise player of the season - Jake Keegan
Manager of the season - The King Stephen Kenny
Flop manager of the season - Pat Fenlon
Best signing of the season - Ronan Finn
Worst signing of the season - Mark Quigley 
2 in a row and we won it in Tallaght
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 11:52am
Flop (team) - Sligo, started with promise with heary as well as nielsen and puri
Flop (player) - Fahey, big name moving to local rivals , did nothing before retiring
Flop (manager) - Has to be Heary
Surprise player of the season - John Sullivan came in half way through our season from Crumlin and was instrumental in getting us to the position we were
Manager of the season - tentative for ollie Horgan
Signing of the season - Peter Cherrie
Away of the year - had a great time at Limerick
The Boy Z View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boy Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 12:02pm
I doubt 65 points ever won a 33 match league (open to correction). 

If I followed Rovers I would be very disappointed with the season.
I'm sure most fans' expectations would have been a title challenge and to go deep in the FAI cup.

The board might be happy with coming third, being in Europe etc but 3 points more than last season,no cup run, attendances dwindling, playing a terrible brand of football. Very hard to get in bed with that!

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 12:08pm
Fenlons first full season was always to be a consolidation to fix the Stephen Croly damage. We improved on all aspects, our highest finish since we won the league in 2011 and clear progress on the pitch and stability off it. No-one at Rovers had any expectation of winning the title.
You can't seriously say that we had as bad a season as Sligo, Pats or Derry.

The Boy Z View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boy Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 12:53pm
I disagree that all aspects have been improved. The value for money for the punters certainly hasn't improved. You are a point further away from Dundalk. Was there a cup final and/or semi final last year too?

Nobody at Rovers thought you would win the league? That's a surprise. I bet a lot thought/expected you to challenge though.

I didn't expect Sligo to do well, thought Heary was a poor choice at the time. Didn't expect them to nearly get relegated though and no denying they've had a disaster of a season.

Derry a bit the same. Probably stuck with Hutton too long and got their act together after that. Only got to see Derry and Sligo 3 or 4 times each live so not sure how good they were to watch etc.

Pats have had a shocking last third of the season. It's the end for that team. Really missed Christy Fagan (Rovers must sign him next season) They did win a cup and got European football but under par for what they have there.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 1:05pm
Fagan under contract at pats next season. His absence cost us 12-15 points this season. Agree that we need a clearout and build a team around some very promising youngster with quality experience.
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 1:06pm
Fwiw the bolger to Motherwell deal collapse Has had a hugely negative impact
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 1:32pm
How can Fahey be deemed a flop when he was always injured and forced to retire? I think that's a tad unfair.

We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

How can Fahey be deemed a flop when he was always injured and forced to retire? I think that's a tad unfair.

Because he is a big name who played for Rovers.

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 2:16pm
How can he be considered anything but a flop?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic