You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can The Aviva be completed/made bigger?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 10:11pm
Off topic but South Dublin county council have been quoted in the Tallaght Echo today saying that extra funds have been made available to build a 2.5k stand at the Square end of tallaght stadium...building to commence in 2017
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Sponsored Links

depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by DavidMan DavidMan wrote:

Really. They build a state of the art stadium and people are still giving out. Cry babies.
Regarding CRoke park the hill is a wonderful idea even if it doesn't look good. The atmosphere it creates is great and most people want a standing terrace but when there is one somewhere else depechemode you'll complain

It might have an atmosphere but the hill attracts some scum bags too. Planning permission would never happen anyway .
It has a fantastic history but it's still half finished looking. Aviva slightly better
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 10:30pm
AVIVA stadium is a bad design when you compare it to stadiums around the world. The pitch in the lower tiers is too shallow giving terrible views from the SS. The acoustics are horrific. I haven't seen a stadium where you cant hear the crowd down the other end nor the stadium announcer. Compare it to similar size stadiums like the Friends Arena, Schalke, Poland's stadium...  They offer better views from the lower tiers.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 10:44pm
Its probably the worst modern stadium in the world
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 10:49pm
To answer the question yes the north end could be completed to make a full bowl . The way stadiums are designed in the last ten years is so that expanding capacity can be done so with very little work required to the existing structure . To complete the bowl shape you'd probable need 12 months . But a bit like the same situation as Croke park great idea , completely possible but very likely to never happen
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 11:05pm
It would be pointless. It was a very silly idea to rebuilt the stadium on that site. They should have tried to go to the Poolbeg Site just up the road.

The stadium was outdated before it was even opened. Concessions are a disaster, the views from the lower stands are a waste of a ticket, the north stand in its entiretly is a pointless excercise, there are only 2 big screens (which are not very big), it doesnt have a retractable roof, the exits from the centre of East Upper is a safety hazard. All of the exits on the top tier are quite hazardous if there needs to be an emergency evacuation.

The life-span of this stadium will be short
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 11:08pm
It's the worst modern stadium I've been in...No love for it at all...Actually it looks well on the outside and is deadly looking from the Point theatre
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 11:36pm
Not to mention the toilet entrances are cramped, not suited to the numbers of people coming and going at half time and generally encourage congestion and crushes. There should be an entrance and exit to every toilet but there isn't.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 1:00am
I think municipal stadia were the way to go. Of course it's probably too late now.
It would have been great to have a 30-50k all seater stadia in Galway, Cork and Dublin.
GAA teams and our international sides and maybe even some of the provincial sides could play their games in them.
When public money was being handed out to the GAA making municipal stadiums should have been a condition of it.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 1:24am
At least Tallaght stadium went to Rovers despite the gaa and Thomas Davis trying to derail it a few years ago..

Edited by depechemode - 21 Oct 2015 at 1:24am
The Fly View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Fly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 1:34am
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

I think municipal stadia were the way to go. Of course it's probably too late now.
It would have been great to have a 30-50k all seater stadia in Galway, Cork and Dublin.
GAA teams and our international sides and maybe even some of the provincial sides could play their games in them.
When public money was being handed out to the GAA making municipal stadiums should have been a condition of it.

I'm glad this didn't happen. 

Watching football in a stadium, when the closest seat is 20 meters from the pitch Ouch
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 1:36am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Not to mention the toilet entrances are cramped, not suited to the numbers of people coming and going at half time and generally encourage congestion and crushes. There should be an entrance and exit to every toilet but there isn't.

For a stadium built only a few years ago, the toilet situation is shocking altogether. How the feck they managed to design that aspect of the stadium so badly is beyond me.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 2:02am
Originally posted by The Fly The Fly wrote:

Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

I'm glad this didn't happen. 

Watching football in a stadium, when the closest seat is 20 meters from the pitch Ouch

As opposed to being at the back of a poorly designed stadium? The new landsdowne Road ( I refuse to call it the Aviva as that's a marketing ploy and Aviva are a shower of bastards)
Is hardly a perfect design. Admittedly it wouldn't be ideal but there's plenty of country that do have running tracks around their pitches (particularly eastern European countries)
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 2:14am
We've had a loud and very good atmosphere for the games in this campaign for the first time in a long period. I personally can't stand stadia with a running track around them. My biggest issue with the Aviva is that the first two rows in the lower stand appear to be somehow slightly below the pitch. 

I'd be in favour of the north stand being completed. we could have good home support in that north stand and put the away fans miles up into the sky somewhere in a corner of the stadium, if only the brits hadn't torn up our stadium from above 20 years ago Thumbs Down
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
ontheball View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ontheball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 8:51am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

For a stadium built only a few years ago, the toilet situation is shocking altogether. How the feck they managed to design that aspect of the stadium so badly is beyond me.

It must have been a design fault of European Stadia building of the past few years as the toilets in the Warsaw Stadium were even worse. It was Chaotic at half time trying to get into the jacks.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 9:15am
I do actually like the Aviva despite the poor acoustics. It looks class from the outside.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 9:18am
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

It's the worst modern stadium I've been in...No love for it at all...Actually it looks well on the outside and is deadly looking from the Point theatre

Spot on
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Charlton's Child Charlton's Child wrote:

To answer the question yes the north end could be completed to make a full bowl . The way stadiums are designed in the last ten years is so that expanding capacity can be done so with very little work required to the existing structure . To complete the bowl shape you'd probable need 12 months . But a bit like the same situation as Croke park great idea , completely possible but very likely to never happen

There speaks a man who knows !!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic