You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can The Aviva be completed/made bigger?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can The Aviva be completed/made bigger?
    Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 8:52pm
I overheard two lads talking about the Aviva, saying architects plans are there to put more tiers at the north end (old Havelock). Is it true that it could be made into a proper bowl with an extra smaller tier and corporate boxes etc? They said the IRFU and FAI had been buying houses behind the north end (and were now renting them out) and when they had enough they would apply for planning permission to finish it off properly????
Sponsored Links

ABFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

I overheard two lads talking about the Aviva, saying architects plans are there to put more tiers at the north end (old Havelock). Is it true that it could be made into a proper bowl with an extra smaller tier and corporate boxes etc? They said the IRFU and FAI had been buying houses behind the north end (and were now renting them out) and when they had enough they would apply for planning permission to finish it off properly????

You're talking out of your HughJarse
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:00pm
No need for the extra capacity 50k is fine. The only time there is demand is when we play the like of Germany or if we're in a playoff. There won't be a sell out in the next campaign for instance. Wales might come close but won't sell out IMO
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

No need for the extra capacity 50k is fine. The only time there is demand is when we play the like of Germany or if we're in a playoff. There won't be a sell out in the next campaign for instance. Wales might come close but won't sell out IMO

The rugby could easily get another few thousand more than we would easily
Chips don't bounce
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:06pm
True but it's souless enough as it is when were playing the likes Gibraltar and Faroes and there's only 25k there. Would be even worse with only 20/25k in a 60k seater.
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

ontheball View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ontheball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:10pm
Makes sense in the long term. Due to planning problems in regards to houses behind the North of the site, the North Stand could only be built to the level it is now.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:12pm
Metro North will be running before the Aviva is extended.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:15pm
Yes but now that the recession is over if you look back at Croke Park Euro 2008 home qualifiers attendances

72,000 v Wales
71,000 v Slovakia
67,000 v Germany
and finally for a meaningless match
54,000 v Cyprus

I value everyone's opinion but just want to know is it actually feasible???

"Build it and they will come"
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:20pm
It's built . Not many of them come
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Metro North will be running before the Aviva is extended.
...and Baldrick will run the Dublin Marathon in under 3 hours before both of the above.
depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:21pm
We only build 3/4 stadiums in this country. Imagine Croke park as a bowl . As it is it looks sh*te . aviva isn't much better..
To be honest though we need a smaller stadium with perhaps 25k with a sliding roof for friendly matches , smaller games other sports concerts etc.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:25pm
For the Rugby I would say probably. For the football no when you condiser they'd probably only have one game at most that would potentially get 50k+ in a campaign (Providing they get a Germany,Spain,Italy etc.. and not a Greece) or unless we're in with a chance with automatic qualification in the final home game or we were to draw the Poles again and be outnumbered at home again

Edited by Denis Irwin - 20 Oct 2015 at 9:27pm

Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:28pm
I love LR despite the north tier. One of my favourite stadiums. I also like Citroën C3 Picassos though so I might have strange tastes. The fact that it isn't 'normal' appeals to me.

I agree with a smaller second stadium and would suggest properly renovating the likes of Dayler, Tallagh or something in Cork, the West or one of the meath towns.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:31pm
Ireland need a 35,000 capacity stadium for all but the big games. Bring back Eircom Park!  Dalymount rebuilt into a 35,000 would be class
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
daveyc View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:31pm
could defo do with a 25/30k stadium for the lesser games esp friendlies 
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:37pm
What is the plan with dalyer or is it another pie in the sky job? How much will it hold?
Chips don't bounce
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:40pm
10k I think idea is for it to be ready by Euro 2020 so it can be used for teams training

DavidMan View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 10:03pm
Really. They build a state of the art stadium and people are still giving out. Cry babies.
Regarding CRoke park the hill is a wonderful idea even if it doesn't look good. The atmosphere it creates is great and most people want a standing terrace but when there is one somewhere else depechemode you'll complain
We March On
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic