Can The Aviva be completed/made bigger?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can The Aviva be completed/made bigger?
    Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Yes Eircom Park was correctly scrapped by Delaney because it would put the FAI in serious debt for years !!!
Was he involved back then? It was Bernard O'Brien's baby and Bertie squashed it.

It is an interesting discussion. Would the FAI have been better off with a greenfield site in Clondalkin or the situation we are in now which is a half share of a city centre location?
Sponsored Links

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 11:38am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Makes you a bit sick when you see the millennium stadium was built for 125m pounds and is an awesome stadium with huge capacity and retractable roof whereas landsdowne cost 3 times that and has an unfinished feel about it.

I'm glad we didn't build the Bertie bowl which might have been a nice stadium but it was all purpose so would have been a running track or huge pitch to accomadate GAA, wouldn't have worked.

What probably would have worked best in terms of the stadium itself was Eircom Park. That was going to be a 45,000 seater stadium I think. It was being talked about around the time Wales were building millennium stadium and if I rmemeber the cost was not so high. They'd be no doubt be making money off it now anyway! What was the main reason it fell through?
Bertie shafted the FAI. If Eircom Park, Croker and LR all existed then he wouldn't have gotten anyone to use the Bertie Bowl which was to be his 'legacy'. Suddenly you had the likes of the Air Corps demanding reviews because it was within 10k of Baldonnell and all sorts of blockages. The message was received.  In the end the PD's nixed the Bertie Bowl and the LR project had been priced and the IRFU realised they needed the FAI involved and they went that way.
Ibaraki View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibaraki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 5:59pm
They should have dug down to a level where the highest current part of the stadium would come up to the level of the North stand.

We would of then got a finished stadium and the resident would still get their light. It probably would have tripled the price but it would be a lot better!

What they ended up with is sh*te. 
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 4:04pm
better to be in a smaller full house than a half empty big house .......... or as we are used to lately a half empty small houseBeer
It's not me it's you:-)
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 9:20am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Makes you a bit sick when you see the millennium stadium was built for 125m pounds and is an awesome stadium with huge capacity and retractable roof whereas landsdowne cost 3 times that and has an unfinished feel about it.

I'm glad we didn't build the Bertie bowl which might have been a nice stadium but it was all purpose so would have been a running track or huge pitch to accomadate GAA, wouldn't have worked.

What probably would have worked best in terms of the stadium itself was Eircom Park. That was going to be a 45,000 seater stadium I think. It was being talked about around the time Wales were building millennium stadium and if I rmemeber the cost was not so high. They'd be no doubt be making money off it now anyway! What was the main reason it fell through?

Typical that in Ireland when we finally got our sh1t together to build a stadium, we did so right at the peak of a boom yet when it came to selling tickets our glorious leader turned down a third party offer that would have cleared the debt in one fell swoop because he thought he could make an extra 40 or 50 million selling them himself. Right when the arse fell out of the economy.

Eircom Park would have been built long before then only for Bertie Ahern putting every obstacle possibly in its way so he could get the FAI on board his vanity project. He even went to the length of throwing circa 40 million unprompted to the GAA just before an initial vote on the foreign sports ban in Croker when the FAI were looking to move bigger attendance games there. Needless to say the extra few bob prevented the motion being passed on that occasion
I'm certain Eircom Park debt would be less than the Lansdowne debt at this stage.

The original plan for Lansdowne was to turn the pitch 90 degrees like the did with the Millennium but a small number of residents wouldn't sell up which meant they had to build with a restricted north end. The stadium is crap down that end due to that. It looks decent from the outside but I'm not a fan. That said, view is fine from where I stand in the SS, No better or worse from behind the goal in anywhere else I've ever gone to games in. View from the north is awful due to the tiny number of rows.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Fitzinho View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitzinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 11:53pm
Would mean taking the entire roof off and rebuilding it €€€€€€

Edited by Fitzinho - 22 Oct 2015 at 12:02am
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by kimbap kimbap wrote:

Originally posted by Charlton's Child Charlton's Child wrote:

To answer the question yes the north end could be completed to make a full bowl . The way stadiums are designed in the last ten years is so that expanding capacity can be done so with very little work required to the existing structure . To complete the bowl shape you'd probable need 12 months . But a bit like the same situation as Croke park great idea , completely possible but very likely to never happen

Not going to get into in on here  again as i think its in a thread from a few years ago but it's not financially feasible in CP.Also the overall capacity would be 83k (assuming they built the hill the same as the canal) it's current capacity is 82,300.Some people talk awful sh1te on here.

The hill would remain as is with the removal of the big screen and the upper tier section completed to make the bowl . This would push the capacity up to 90,000. To do this you would need to by the houses behind the hill with the train line incorporated into the stand similar to what's at landsdown road now . Yea financially it wouldn't be cheap but it's not like the gaa are short of a few quid .
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 9:06pm
Yes Eircom Park was correctly scrapped by Delaney because it would put the FAI in serious debt for years !!!
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by kimbap kimbap wrote:

To answer the question yes the north end could be completed to make a full bowl . The way stadiums are designed in the last ten years is so that expanding capacity can be done so with very little work required to the existing structure . To complete the bowl shape you'd probable need 12 months . But a bit like the same situation as Croke park great idea , completely possible but very likely to never happen

Not going to get into in on here  again as i think its in a thread from a few years ago but it's not financially feasible in CP.Also the overall capacity would be 83k (assuming they built the hill the same as the canal) it's current capacity is 82,300.Some people talk awful sh1te on here.

would assume if they built it they would leave the bottom tier standing

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 7:55pm

kimbap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 7:41pm

Stonesy114 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stonesy114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 7:29pm
Would love to have a stadium like the millennium alright. By far the nicest I've been too and the best in the world in my opinion,, The fans are right in on top of the pitch

Edited by Stonesy114 - 21 Oct 2015 at 7:32pm
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

It more or less is. The supposed "Joint Ownership" is only for 50 years then it reverts to the full ownership of the IRFU

What? Why would the FAI put themselves 50million in the hole? They'll just about have paid off the debt when the IRFU get it back

Im shocked that you didnt know this.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Its too big for football.  I would have preferred a 35,000 stadium that we could fill every game. Wales are playing their games in Cardiff City's ground and it has helped them rather than playing in a vast empty Millenium Stadium.

We've had 3 sellouts this campaign out of 5 and are likely to get a fourth against Bosnia, it certainly isn't too big for football generally. But for the smaller games a 30,000 seater would be nice. it'd be good for the team to always have a packed house, even if it requires building another smaller house
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 5:52pm
Why would they want to do that though? The setup works, they have a good relationship with the IRFU and have halved the risk.
tobymcclure View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobymcclure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 5:43pm
there must have been a novelty factor for watching soccer in croke park,
hence the big attendances.

playing games against smaller teams in a smaller venue seems like a no-brainer! i think it would lead to a more effective 12th man, loud and intimidating.......... plus it would be more craic!  
KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 5:42pm

Originally posted by KING-CON KING-CON wrote:

Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

It more or less is. The supposed "Joint Ownership" is only for 50 years then it reverts to the full ownership of the IRFU

What? Why would the FAI put themselves 50million in the hole? They'll just about have paid off the debt when the IRFU get it back

Because the IRFU owned the land that the stadium was to be built on, and continue to do so

Unlike its predecessor, which was solely owned by the IRFU, the current stadium is controlled by the IRFU and the FAI through a 50:50 joint venture known as the Lansdowne Road Stadium Development Company (LRSDC). The joint venture has a 60-year lease on the stadium; on expiry the stadium will return to the exclusive ownership of the IRFU. 

By the time this happens it will be time for the ground to be re-developed again and the cycle will start all over again i imagine  

I'd say that was the thinking behind it. It also means the IRFU hang on to the valuable asset of the land. IF the FAI get their house in order over the next 55 years and make the league competitive and popular, they could look at building their own stadium for 2070! I wouldn't bet on that though. 

Edited by KING-CON - 21 Oct 2015 at 5:43pm
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Its too big for football.  I would have preferred a 35,000 stadium that we could fill every game. Wales are playing their games in Cardiff City's ground and it has helped them rather than playing in a vast empty Millenium Stadium.

I was saying at the time that it was too small when building it!I thought we could sustain Croke Park attendences...How wrong was I?!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic