You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dundalk FC Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 91>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by scottyccfc scottyccfc wrote:

Dundalk have 8 full time paid backroom staff? Is this correct? No wonder they are miles ahead with fitness.
Where does all this money come from? (Genuine question not a typical LOI dig)

Fyffes are heavily sponsoring them aren't they? Not a LOI dig either. Backroom expertise is invaluable at clubs and if it has to be paid for so be it. It's not fair to be asking the same people volunteer continuously and then slaughtering them when they may mistakes.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Sponsored Links

roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 3:28pm
Which makes it all the more irritating that the first think Kenny did at Rovers was fire the full time backroom staff, including the S&C coach....

Completely agree with the sentiment though, I think a full time S&C coach and physio is vital, more clubs should sacrifice that extra player or two and use the money for the above.
Tony Cousins View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 3:55pm
If clubs don't copy Dundalk's approach to strength and conditioning, then Dundalk will go ahead and do 4 in a Row or maybe more.

It's not just that they are fitter on the pitch, it's also that they can put out their first choice team most weeks. Even Stevie O'Donnell doesn't seem to get the niggling injuries he used to always have, the only period he's missed in 3 years has been for a very serious injury.
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 4:36pm
I think they are, certainly post Kenny Rovers have a full time S&C coach. A major factor is also that Dundalk by and large have kept the same team together for 3 years. Players who aren't used to that sort of intensity of training need time to adapt to it, Dundalk have been over that hump.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 4:43pm
The real test of this Dundalk side will be when Towell and Horgan surely leave in the winter. Then they'll have to rebuild. They never really replaced hogan with a like for like player, just other players around the team stepped up with goals.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Conroy View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 7:07pm
Its all well and good having a S&C coach but its more important to have a squad with the mentality to embrace the information he gives them. The whole Dundalk are the fittest in the league has been over hyped as an easy way to describe the reason for Dundalk being so far ahead of the rest of the league.

As for rebuilding the squad, when Hoban left many pundits and general LOI fans said we would struggle to replace his goals. Which has proved not to be the case, Id trust Kenny to find suitable replacements for anyone who moves to pastures greater.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 7:16pm
That bit about embracing the ideas is true. From what I heard O'Donnell saying on SR the other night no one is forcing them to do gym work. They all know if they don't they will fall out of the first team.
I'd be of the opinion that the bare minimum any League of Ireland player should be doing is 4-5 gym sessions a week. A decent jog/run after that would hardly be excessive for players playing in the national league. Unfortunately that's not the case and why Dundalks work is exceptional.

Edited by Bitored - 14 Oct 2015 at 7:17pm
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 10:44pm
Well deserved Dundalk. A joy to watch in action .
newrygreen View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrygreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 11:01pm
Got my ticket for the final today. Looking forward to it
Twitter: @50SavesOfDeGea
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 12:28am
"Shoco" - that pitch invasion from Rovers fans is nothing to be alarmed about. I`d prob have done the same when I was an excitable teenager :) It`s harmless stuff and nothing more than a spillover of emotion after scoring against a top side.

Looking back, I think the timing of Kenny`s appointment in Tallaght was unfortunate. He came in to replace a very successful Michael O`Neill and expectations were at a premium. Kenny ticked all the boxes including being a Tallaght native and having been around the block in management, both here, up North, and in Scotland. He must have looked like the perfect fit for the Rovers board but for whatever reason, results didn`t go his way. 
"If you fail to prepare, you`re prepared to fail" - Mark Spitz
The U View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 12:41am
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

That bit about embracing the ideas is true. From what I heard O'Donnell saying on SR the other night no one is forcing them to do gym work. They all know if they don't they will fall out of the first team.

Agree with this. Especially when those lads see the shape Richie Towell is in and the success he has it must push them on also
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 1:06pm
The 4 goals last night broke a 92 year old record for the most goals scored in a season, brought our total to 78 beating the previous record of 77 (albeit with less games)

Two goals for Towell brought him to 25 for the season, equalling the premier division record of Byrne and crowe

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
The Saint View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 1:20pm
Finish with the double next week I reckon!!!!
FAIlure

Good shot, lovely ............ oh good jaysus
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2015 at 11:37pm
Fair play to Dundalk, just won the RTE team of the year award! Beat off some unreal competition! Ireland soccer team, boxing team, Ireland rugby team!
stillkeith View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stillkeith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 12:10am
Dundalk deserved it. I'm surprised that they won it i taught the rugby team were gonna get it.
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 2:03pm
Some Twitter meltdown over it, the Dublin bogballers are not very gracious!

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Some Twitter meltdown over it, the Dublin bogballers are not very gracious!

I wouldn't tar GAA people with the same brush. It just says a lot about a particular element of Dubs.
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 5:53pm
They probably thought that you automatically get an award just for showing up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 91>
  Share Topic