You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish People's Passion for English Teams?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boy Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 12:03pm
Been to 30 odd LOI matches this season but my team is Manchester United. I can't re create the same buzz I feel for Utd going to watch any other team. Will get over 5 or 6 times this year I hope.

What I don't understand is lads who follow English teams who's 2 or 3 trips per year are the only exposure they get to live football. They profess to love football but see 3 matches a year? I just don't get that.

Theres only one sport that matters..
Sponsored Links

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by The Boy Z The Boy Z wrote:

Been to 30 odd LOI matches this season but my team is Manchester United. I can't re create the same buzz I feel for Utd going to watch any other team. Will get over 5 or 6 times this year I hope.

What I don't understand is lads who follow English teams who's 2 or 3 trips per year are the only exposure they get to live football. They profess to love football but see 3 matches a year? I just don't get that.

Not every football fan in Ireland has a LOI club on their doorstep Thumbs Up

People have lives outside of football too.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
The Boy Z View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boy Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 12:29pm
Always laugh at that one. People take days off to go across the water, spend hundreds of €, but won't drive an hour to get to a match. Understand it's difficult to have an affinity with a team if you don't live near one but loving football and going to 3 live games a year is a bit of a contradiction. Would also include people's own football as 'live football' too.

And people who go to matches have a life outside of football. Utterly ridiculous comment.
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Not every football fan in Ireland has a LOI club on their doorstep Thumbs Up

People have lives outside of football too.
So they go for the more convenient option in another country..? Not buying that. There is no-one more than 1 hour away from a LoI ground.

There is a uniqueness to the justifications used to not go to games. I wish people would be honest and say Manchester is a jolly boys outing on the session away from the kids and football is the excuse to go.
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

You're pretty sure they do, are you? Were you chatting to them too? Didn't notice you there listening in at the time.

And yes, Ireland is unique. Just as unique as Scandinavia. Just as unique also as Asia, most of Africa and North America. 

And Iceland. 

But the Scandanavians etc go to their domestic games too. Ask one what their team is and they will reply Rosenberg and Man United or Hammerby and Liverpool. When we get to the point when an Irish person when asked the same says Rovers and Arsenal we will be in a far healthier place
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 12:46pm
Can I say "we" about an Irish League team, given that I come from and live in the 26 counties?

Is this allowed under the rules of the guardians of the meaning of the personal pronoun?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 12:49pm

Always laugh at that one. People take days off to go across the water, spend hundreds of €, but won't drive an hour to get to a match. Understand it's difficult to have an affinity with a team if you don't live near one but loving football and going to 3 live games a year is a bit of a contradiction. Would also include people's own football as 'live football' too.

And people who go to matches have a life outside of football. Utterly ridiculous comment.

How many days off do these people take per year to go watch an England team given that the average Irish, PL fan would probably make 3 or 4 trips over maximum a year? I'm one of those people who goes over to watch Sunderland a few times a year.

Right, try living in Carlow with a full time job, coach a youths team and play yourself.

Do you honestly think I have the time to drive to 30 LOI games a season bearing in mind Waterford United an hour away is my nearest LOI ground?

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 12:53pm

How many days off do these people take per year to go watch an England team given that the average Irish, PL fan would probably make 3 or 4 trips over maximum a year? I'm one of those people who goes over to watch Sunderland a few times a year.

Right, try living in Carlow with a full time job, coach a youths team and play yourself.

Do you honestly think I have the time to drive to 30 LOI games a season bearing in mind Waterford United an hour away is my nearest LOI ground?

I say you have plenty of time? You ain't married and you don't have kids, loads of time to go the rsc
Chips don't bounce
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

Anyone who uses the term "we" when talking about the EPL team they "support" is an absolute t0sser. Fact

You're a t**ser. Fact
Some people just deserve a slap
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

I say you have plenty of time? You ain't married and you don't have kids, loads of time to go the rsc

If I go the RSC on a Friday I can't train my youth team? I train twice a week with the team I play for too? So 4 nights a week are taken up with football. I also work most weekends, hence why I won't be in Poland!

sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Anyone who uses the term "we" when talking about the EPL team they "support" is an absolute t0sser. Fact

You're a t**ser. Fact
END OF.
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 1:05pm

So because I can only afford to go to liverpool 2/3 times per year I don't love football? That's all I can get to see them live but I watch 2/3 schoolboys matches every weekend which i prefer doing over watching a LOI team that I've no interest in. Your way of thinking on this is strange.

Edited by Croftman - 09 Oct 2015 at 1:07pm
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Can I say "we" about an Irish League team, given that I come from and live in the 26 counties?

Is this allowed under the rules of the guardians of the meaning of the personal pronoun?
Sid, if you want to public admit you support Donegal Celtic then do so by all means...
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 1:55pm

You're a t**ser. Fact

Touch a nerve there did I????

Edited by eire77 - 09 Oct 2015 at 1:56pm
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 2:10pm

You're a t**ser. Fact

Not at all, was just stating a point
The Boy Z View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boy Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 2:19pm

I play and coach myself. Not saying you could make 30! I'm fortunate that Bray is 5.45 KO on a Saturday so I have been to most of their matches. But, I doubt you train every Friday that there's a match. Is your league a summer league? It was a personal choice not to go to a match (if you haven't been to one).

I think your situation is a bit different to the majority. With you playing and coaching you are exposed to live football and the feeling of being at a match. Same with Croftman going to schoolboy games.

It's the people who treat football like a TV programme that I don't get. A lot of my mates are in that bracket. 1 or 2 games a year, don't play,watch or coach but still know it all!
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 2:31pm

You're a t**ser. Fact

Not at all, was just stating a point

Fair enough - but a point without any evidence to go on. 

My statement is fact. 

You don't play in EPL.  You don't come from the city of the team you believe you are somehow a part of.  You are a deluded man who wears an overpriced jersey in front of your TV shouting at the pictures and afterwards console or congratulate yourself on how you (plural) have done. 

You do not realise you are nothing more than a consumer.  A consumer who thinks they are a part of the product they consume.  You, sir, are an imbecile.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 2:37pm
No it's a winter league down in Carlow, but during the summer months I play gaelic and hurling as well as work a lot especially weekends so I'm always on the go.

I would only live in a LOI club were on my doorstep, I just feel the odd Friday night I haven't got anything on all I want to do is chill out and take a break from sport as much as I love it.

A lot of my mates come into that category too they have been to England once maybe twice in their lives to watch their team and sh*te out about being a super fan Confused LOL An there I am a regular Ireland match goer home and away and while I'm not claiming to be single handily keeping football going in Ireland or anything, I'm doing my bit at grass roots.

But yeah I will most definitely at least try and make a few LOI matches next season for sure!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic