You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA FOOTBALL 2016/2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 132133134135136 163>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 2:30pm
Adrian Sweeney in 2002 also
max View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

My new name is Wax

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 11:07pm
Watched a good documentary last night on rte player never seen it. The Dubs, story of a season. Its about their season in 05. Good watch! amazing how much the gaa has develpoed in ten years! Also mental how competitive Leinster was then and how much winning it meant to the Dubs.
eboue16 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eboue16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by eboue16 eboue16 wrote:

Anybody on here managed to get an AI ticket of somebody on here in years past? It's an absolute nightmare for the unconnected of us and it'll be even worse should/when the Dubs make the final on Sunday. Hooked up a few lads on here with tickets in France

Karma is sound they reckon.....

I'm just going to throw this back up here and cross the fingers!

A bit early to be panicing but needs must

There's several pinteens in it for anyone who can come up with the goods
I love the run up in the final week; work related productivity disappears and heaps of watching this kind of thing 

(obviously changing "first" to "third")

Edited by eboue16 - 12 Sep 2016 at 12:41pm
"He f**ked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."
Roy Keane
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 1:07pm
Provisional fixtures for next year's league

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Provisional fixtures for next year's league

Dublin v Roscommon the day after the Wales game is dead handy !
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 2:06pm
3 long trips, Dublin, Tyrone, Kerry

Weekend in Kerry

Roscommon at home on a Saturday night
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 2:34pm
Happy with our fixtures have most of the big teams at home which is a good thing and the 3 aways are close enough to home so no long journeys required

Seeing as both the Tyrone and monaghan games are down for Saturday night games means they be played in ballybofey. That means the Dublin and kerry games be played in letterkenny and ballyshannon seeing as they each get 1 game each.

In recent years we have played Dublin in ballyshannon so I'd guess that be played their with us facing kerry in letterkenny
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 11:46am
Jesus there is no build up at all.

It's weird.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 11:49am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

It's weird.

Two of the Mayo papers have 60+ page pullouts
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 12:04pm
Yeah there seems be the usual heavy dose of 'Mayo4Sam' shenanigans on social media anyway.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

It's weird.

Two of the Mayo papers have 60+ page pullouts

Sure that's standard

Nobody is talking about it!
eboue16 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eboue16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 12:15pm
its hope rather than expectation this year from down our way from what i can gather

which is good......
"He f**ked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."
Roy Keane
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 12:17pm
Majority of articles/columns in the Times/Indo/Star etc.. have been about Mayo this week Mark.
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 12:19pm
I'm talking about people in Mayo Denis!!
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 12:23pm
Heard a few people from Mayo on the radio last night. Their first comment in most instances seems to be :
"Sure Dublin have it won already" which is getting to be a bit annoying as if they genuinely believed that then they'd be happy to hand over their tickets to the many Dubs looking !! And if they think that the Dublin team actually believe that then they obviously have no real understanding about how Jim Gavin works. 
If Mayo do win on Sunday it will be because they have played well enough on the day to do so (And best of luck to them if they do).

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 12:39pm
I know Mayo haven't played as well this season as they have done in previous seasons (so far at least!) but at 3/1 they surely represent serious value? They are only missing one player from the team that not once, but twice, had Dublin on the ropes last season. Dublin, on the other hand, are missing two huge players from last season in Rory O'Carroll and Jack McCaffrey. The older Brogan has also retired since then as well.

I have no interest placing a bet against Dublin myself (equally I would never bet against Ireland no matter how attractive it may appear) but for a neutral I think Mayo at those odds has to be worth a punt.
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 4:56pm
Hearing a lot of stuff in the build-up about Mayo needing goals to have any chance.

Goals in All-Ireland Finals, with the exception of 2012, haven't been a problem for them

1989 - 38th minute strike from Anthony Finnerty put them in front
1996 - Ray Dempsey scored a goal which gave Mayo a six point lead with 20 minutes left
1996 (replay) - PJ Loftus scored the first goal of the game that gave Mayo a 7 point lead just before half-time, but was immediately pegged back by a Meath penalty a minute later
2004 - Alan Dillon scored in the 5th minute of the game to give Mayo a great start against Kerry.
2006 - In the midst of a Kerry onslaught, Mayo managed to score 3 goals themselves and the margin at half-time was six points. (thirteen at full-time)
2013 - Andy Moran levelled the game in the 50th minute.

Leaving 2006 aside, each of the goals came at critical times but they never built on it. As I have mentioned often in the last year, when Cillian O'Connor scored that goal in the semi-final replay last year, they had ample opportunity to push on and put Dublin out of it.

It's obvious Mayo need to put in a better performance than they have done all year and I expect them to do that. However, if they do manage to get a goal, its what they do after it that will be the making of them. They can't take the foot off the pedal like they did against Tipp after their first goal. Kerry hit Dublin for two quick goals in the semi-final but they couldn't hold on. If Dublin are going to go through a bad patch in the game, Mayo need to punish them for it.
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 9:56pm
I find this a tremendously difficult game to call and am flabbergasted at the odds.

Mayo at 10/3 are well overpriced. 

The closer it gets to the game the more I like Mayo's chances. 

There seems to be an assumption that Dublin will turn in a performance like they did against Kerry and that this will be enoough but All-Ireland finals tend to much more cagey affairs than semi-finals - just look back over the last four seasons. Dublin's performances in the 2013 and 2015 finals were nothing like they managed in their semi-final victories in those years. Neither were Donegal's and Kerry's in 2012 and 2014 compared to their semi-finals.

I've had a look at the stats from the last three championship games between the teams (2013 and 2015) on the excellent dontfoul website https://dontfoul.wordpress.com/category/2015/ and if Mayo repeat the stats they racked up in the 2013 final and 2015 draw they have a really good (ie slightly better than 50%) chance of winning.

Their performances this year have not been very good however. But their pedigree and the suspicion they have been aiming more specifically for the All-Ireland final, and specifically for Dublin, both in terms of fitness and in tactics than in other years means you have to assume they are saving up something really big for this.

I think it'll go to the last ten minutes and the key may be who has conserved energy best up to then to really go flat out until the end. It's commonly thought you can't outlast Dublin but Mayo did it in the semi-final draw last year, and arguably even in the 2013 final. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 132133134135136 163>
  Share Topic