You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

U.S Politics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 324325326327328 334>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Very much so, but if Trump is going to take the fascist fringe, it leaves the GOP back as the party of the ultra-conservatives and then it becomes about which way the Democrats go and liberals always go further right. That's why I think a split in one will lead to a split in the other.

My real hope is that my hunch that Trump is too lazy, is correct. Having a little fiefdom in the established GOP is one thing. Having to actually establish and lead a political movement, in a country dominated by the two party system, is another. And over a 4 year period, I don't think Trump has shown any of the intellect, or the resilience, to establish a new party, which will united fascists, militia men, QAnon supporters, and the rest of the "deplorables". The gradual de-platforming could also be exceptionally useful in depriving him of the airtime he needs, in order to be successful. Also, he will have very few friends in the GOP, who will bat for him now. There are little vestiges of Trump left. The "anti-squad" congresspeople like Lauren Boebert and Marjorie Greene will fill that space and serve as a reminder, but they are limited, and will not be taken seriously. I won't count my chickens but in an ideal world, this defeat essential ends Trump.

I think there is a chance that "boring politics" will be back on the table, if Trump is off it.

There is a Patriot Party Twitter account with around 100k followers, I am not sure of the connection to him, but it might be worth keeping an eye on.
There's  a chance he is lazy, and his Twitter ban and loss of Murdoch support will make it difficult for him, but he still has a huge support base and access to enough of their money to fund both a party and his own media. I don't think he will gain enough to win in 4 years time or be able to find a similar personality that can, but he can certainly make more waves, and money, in trying to stay relevant. 

At the same time, the cat is out of the bag regarding real social justice in the States and I am not sure that four years of bland neoliberalism and global grandstanding will change that. That's what lead to Trump in the first place, that disconnect between average Americans and the Democrats at the peak of de-industrialisation. Can Biden get that back in these four years with a slight majority in the senate, that could easily swing back next year, regardless of Trump? I think having a bland, 'safe pair of hands' liberal could well be a disaster or lead to another disaster. He was certainly the lesser of two evils, but he has a problematic history with race and criminal justice and, even with Harris, it may be difficult for him to win people who would have voted for him over, because in reality he was on the winning side of a referendum on Trump, rather than the winner of election. He needs to have a remarkable first six months to become more than that and, given the situation he has been left with, I don't think it is feasible. 

I do hope I am wrong, that he becomes a truly progressive president and paves the way for a truly left of centre government to follow and all the rest, but I can't see it.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 9:34pm
I am optimistic. I do believe Trump is a busted flush whatever happens. He has legal cases looming for the likes of fraud and rape which are the reason behind his manic lies about the election result. He would have tried a coup using the military if he could have got away with it but enough responsible voices made themselves heard in advance to knock that on the head. Plan B was to utilise the inarticulate, incoherent MAGA rabble, who have now been discarded into the white trash bin and sneered at even as they were begging for pardons. Best headline I saw on the Capitol riot was " Coup Klux Klan." Do not under-estimate Joe Biden, or Kamala Harris who I believe will be the next President. Trump has wrecked the GOP as the likes of Lindsey Graham and Ted Cruz predicted he would. Slap it up these lickspittles and all their like. Watch the GOP now disintegrate into warring factions. The Patriot Party may or may not come into being but if Trump is barred from public office, forget about it. I doubt if he has the interest or commitment anyway to get into the hard work of party politics for the next four years, he will have other distractions like staying out of jail. The future is blue. Sad to see, by the way, a reference to "Sleepy Joe" earlier on this thread. Time to lose the Trump trash talk and celebrate the man who won, a man proud of his Irish heritage.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 12:01pm
I will give him four years to see if he is worth celebrating, not do it based on what heritage he celebrates. Many made that mistake with Obama and we ended up with the same American imperialism as before, but with some lovely photographs. 
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 1:35pm
Good to hear Biden doesn't plan on going easy on China and it was one of the few trump policies he agreed with. 
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

Good to hear Biden doesn't plan on going easy on China and it was one of the few trump policies he agreed with. 

Woohoo! The sooner the nuclear-armed US pisses off the nuclear-armed China the better! 
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Woohoo! The sooner the nuclear-armed US pisses off the nuclear-armed China the better! 
So if a country has nukes they get a free pass to do whatever they want? America are no saints but neither are China and deserve scrutiny for a lot of their policies. 

I see Obama pardoned double what trump did and about 20 times as many commutations. What's the justification for this and why is trump being lambasted when Obama did far more and got no scrutiny. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 12:36am
Trump uniquely did not have pardon applications processed through the DOJ committee tasked with identifying merit. Instead, he pardoned numerous cronies, some of whom worked for him and didn't grass him up like Michael Cohen ( Bannon, Stone, Manafort, etc etc ) as well as family and media connected people and various fraudsters, money launderers, child killers , etc, some of whom he will have seen as having skills useful to him so they can repay the favour. Everything is transactional with Trump and ultimately self-serving.
Tribesman91 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tribesman91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 12:55am
Roughly 20,000 pardons issued by US Presidents during the 20th century. No such thing as journalists really anymore, the Internet and social media just seems to have made everyone either really for something or really against something, without much fact checking. Sad state of affairs 
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 7:42am

So if a country has nukes they get a free pass to do whatever they want? America are no saints but neither are China and deserve scrutiny for a lot of their policies. 

I see Obama pardoned double what trump did and about 20 times as many commutations. What's the justification for this and why is trump being lambasted when Obama did far more and got no scrutiny. 

He did a lot of things that didn’t get the negative attention it deserved as he is a nice guy. 

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 9:03am
Originally posted by Tribesman91 Tribesman91 wrote:

Roughly 20,000 pardons issued by US Presidents during the 20th century. No such thing as journalists really anymore, the Internet and social media just seems to have made everyone either really for something or really against something, without much fact checking. Sad state of affairs 

El Puto Amo
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

He did a lot of things that didn’t get the negative attention it deserved as he is a nice guy. 
Yeah all those bombings in the middle East were real nice. I'm not sure if there's been a nice US president in my lifetime although the media would have you believe most of them were. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 9:02pm
Watching a Biden speech live. He's looks like he's struggling getting the words out at times or getting them wrong. Fox News and the other mouthpieces on the right will make hay out of this.

Trump also had a similar thing at his speeches where certain words would cause him to kind of have a brain glitch and he'd either switch the word or skip onto the next thing. He twitches as well. 

I suppose both of them are in their 70s and Biden is that few years older but there's no way Biden will be able to run again in 4 years time. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 9:12pm
Biden has spoken before about having a stammer 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Biden has spoken before about having a stammer 
This. 

This “Biden is losing it” is tiresome 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 10:04pm
Forgot about his stammer actually but I've seen clips of him speak before and he was a lot clearer in that the stutter didn't seem to have much effect. 

I wasn't implying anything near that he was losing it but I really doubt he'll run for re-election in 4 years when he's 82. 

Edited by irishmufc - 25 Jan 2021 at 10:04pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 12:01am
I don't think it was ever the intention for him to serve two terms. Kamala Harris will be the next President. Joe overcame a stutter when he was young, apparently reading poems by Irish writers was part of what he did to overcome it. Trump junior put out a doctored video recently aimed at making him look senile-these people never stop the dirty tricks, but he was caught on. Amanda Gorman, the brilliant young poet laureate who performed at the inauguration, also had a stutter as a child and overcame it.
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 1:06am
I have a stammer. It used to be a lot worse as a kid and into my late teens/early twenties, than it is now (aged 48). It is however still there. If Biden's experience of having a stammer is anything like mine, then speeches/reading out loud is a nightmare. The words on the page are what they are, and you can't change them. Maybe as President, he can .

When I'm talking to someone my brain is constantly thinking ahead of what I'm going to say and changing words that I think I'll have a problem with. Its not even a conscious thought at this stage. It just happens. It can still catch me out the odd time, like for instance ordering a sandwich and not being able to ask for a particular ingredient because I know I won't be able to get the word out . Anyway, I'm just saying this to emphasise that while general conversation might be OK, scripted public speaking can be incredibly difficult for someone with a stammer.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 7:13am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

I don't think it was ever the intention for him to serve two terms. Kamala Harris will be the next President.

She is the slight fav with the bookies and hopefully she gets it.
That would be a massive step forward for equality.
Joe is not going to step down if he is feeling healthy and can do another 4 years but he will be 82.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 324325326327328 334>
  Share Topic