You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

U.S Politics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 229230231232233 334>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 11:56am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Under the current circumstances, an election cannot be held there just because it's the first Tuesday in November, as it always was. It's clearly not safe, and the idea of holding it then is madness. The queues to vote are very long, and with several elections being held on the same day, the voting itself takes much more time than in an European election. 

The campaign trails for both sides have already been severely curtailed, the conventions have been cancelled, I don't think there's any appetite to hold elections there atm, and if there is, there shouldn't be. They could maybe do an online poll or something, with a number of security measures in place so that each ballot cast is valid and reflects the preference of every voter. It would probably hurt the Republican base more, as they tend to be older voters and less able/willing to change their voting habits. Whether that can be put in place in 3 months is another thing, but they'll have to come up with an alternative solution or postpone the election. There are no elections held anywhere atm, and not much political activity either, so there has to be another way than queueing for hours to cast your vote. You certainly can't expect to have 150m people queueing up for anything on one day atm, with no consequences. Even the Democrats must recognise that there are some more important things than getting Trump out of office. 
"Open the country up ta fook"

Also

"It's not safe to hold an election"

Christ
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

P.S Make it at least a month, cheers.

A week will do 👍
How do I get longer?
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

You watch the same independent media channels I do. Agree LOL
What do you watch

What do I watch

Give me 10 good Twitter accounts on US politics to follow

I still think Trump will "win", and when I say "win", I mean fix, intimidate and voter suppress the f**k out of the election so he fake "wins" - Biden would walk any free and fair election I have this fear as well but I think Biden has hired a team of lawyers to aggressively look into any cases of election irregularities so it may be more difficult for Trump or Russia to rig it. The Democrats are on high alert in a way that they weren't in 2016. A huge voter turnout will also make it more difficult for Trump. 
Biden has hired a team of lawyers - wow, that is sooooo reassuring, a team of lawyers will always defeat a fascist using fascist tactics, just like every time in the past, oh wait

The likely reality is that the last election was hacked so Trump "won"

I don't really use twitter but I'd watch the David Pakman Show, TYT and John Oliver/Colbert for the more humorous lighter take on things.

There will be interference in the election but it doesn't mean it's a foregone conclusion that Trump will definitely win this year either. He's gotten away with everything so far so I wouldn't write him off especially with the republicans ability to gerrymander/suppress the vote etc etc but he knows he's in trouble in the polling too. 

Given the way their system is set up, Biden will probably win even more of the popular vote than Hilary did but if he defeats Trump in the electoral college, it will be closer than people think even though Biden is +6 minimum up on him overall in the polls nationally. 
No interest in "the lighter take on things", I'd occasionally watch one of Oliver's 19 minute yokes but only because they're genuinely incisive politically - not for the "comedy" content, which is generally awful

I find that comedy doesn't really work on a person or political ideology which is unshameable - the things that normal people find embarrassing are the things he and his followers glory in

I find day to day soap opera type coverage of the type that is rife in this part of the world absolutely awful, it's rife in the US too, the New York Times has a big problem with both sidesing things

Yes it's important to keep track of each incident of shameless fascism but the most important thing is the historical framework through which all this is happening, therefore those with an eye on that are generally the most incisive commentators

I'm thinking of Timothy Snyder, Sarah Kendzior, Jared Yates Sexton

MSNBC has loads of big faults but Rachel Maddow is excellent at situating contemporary events within historical frameworks in a very incisive manner, she attracts unbelievable levels of hatred because of i) who and what she is - a smart as hell, highly opinionated lesbian from California and ii) because she's pretty much always spot on about what matters and how she interprets it

Reading "The New Jim Crow" by Michelle Alexander at the moment which again situates the contemporary manifestations of the US being essentially a white supremacist ethnostate, within the historical framework of such

You also can't understand Trump and the American and international far right without understanding Russia and Putin, what he does, what drives him, the crazy fascist ideologists behind him and Russian propaganda techniques, as well as the key role of Russian mafia - Russia is a mafia state where the state and the mafia are essentially interchangeable and they are the engine of the international far right

Masha Gessen's "The Future Is History" is really good, Peter Pomerantsev is very good too

I like the new John Sweeney/Michael Weiss podcast The Last Call which has a heavy focus on Russia

Russia is the basic litmus test of somebody's political opinions - if you've dodgy views on Russia, you're likely to have extremely dodgy views on a load of things - because Russia is hell bent on destroying democracy internationally - that's the long and short of it

Nobody knows exactly what's going to happen as regards the election

But it's safe to say that Biden winning the election and Trump handing over power in the normal fashion is not one of the likelier outcomes 

The way Trump is trying to destroy the US postal service, one of the very few nationalised institutions in the US which actually works, in order to get many millions of postal votes thrown out (and to privatise the postal service) was sadly completely predictable

The **** actually votes by post himself, as do most of his family and cronies

I'm betting that whatever happens in November, it'll be chaos - entirely deliberate chaos

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 4:15pm

A week will do 👍
How do I get longer?
hope you’re keeping well PMThumbs Up

In nvidic’s absence, if you like, I can just ban you for another week or two, you decide. Or just go on an all out personally abusive rant against someone. I’ve a few contenders mainly from the ROI section but feel free to choose anyoneThumbs Up

Edited by Sham157 - 01 Aug 2020 at 4:17pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

A week will do 👍
How do I get longer?
hope you’re keeping well PMThumbs Up

In nvidic’s absence, if you like, I can just ban you for another week or two, you decide. Or just go on an all out personally abusive rant against someone. I’ve a few contenders mainly from the ROI section but feel free to choose anyoneThumbs Up
Yeah, all good thanks!Thumbs Up How about yourself?

Feel free to send suggestions as I am llikely to be agreeable.LOL
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 8:18pm
All good here tooThumbs Up
You know there’s s that many that I’m struggling to select, but just open a thread in ROI section, close your eyes and put your finger on a post and go with that. Thumbs Up

Edited by Sham157 - 01 Aug 2020 at 8:19pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 8:20pm
Failing that, I will just track down Sir Topper Harley Esq.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 8:45pm

Failing that, I will just track down Sir Topper Harley Esq.

He’s in ‘rona thread now supposedly living in Spain but found to actually not be. 

Fire away LOL
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 1:49pm

Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

So who's behind this "Bitcoin" Twitter hack? Gonna have to be obvious and say Russia. 

Whoever it is, it's a shot across the bows of those who oppose Trump. 

I love the way they hacked Elon Musk and Kanye West as well to try and throw people off the scent that it's a pro-Trump and anti-Trump opponent intervention.

Sid with yet more bat sh*t, russian conspiracy theory believing nonsense. Brain washed at this stage.
What's the deal with you and Russia?

I remember four years ago you said you actually studied Syria. 

Yet all you came out with was Russian narrative nonsense now proven to be bullsh*t.

How does it feel to be a student of something you know f**k all about and instead a mouthpiece for RT propaganda, like so many other useful idiots on the internet?

"Prosecutors in Florida have said they have filed criminal charges against a 17-year-old accused of masterminding the massive hack of high-profile Twitter users in mid-July."

But ya'know, Russia LOL

http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 6:26am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 9:45am
Interestingly, for the concerns about Trump digging his heels in, from my reading, he will cease to be President in January, at which point it would be up to the Senate, and with most seats that are finishing their two year team being GOP, there is a chance that it would fall back to the Dems, who in turn would have control over who is elevated. The Constitution is not totally binding as to the election, but it is as to the end of a Presidential terms, and to the end of senate terms.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 6:01pm
Susan Rice is 2/1 for the VP nomination

I'd say that's probably free money

Don't think Joe and Kammy get on that well

The delectable (for a politician, in a your friend's attractive mammy way) Gretchen Whitmer is 4/1 

Question for Biden is does he make sure to pick a black nominee in light of the last two and a half months, or does he try and shore up the mid-west with "that woman from Michigan"

There isn't a potential nominee who does both

Edited by sid waddell - 08 Aug 2020 at 6:02pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 9:41pm

The delectable (for a politician, in a your friend's attractive mammy way) Gretchen Whitmer is 4/1 

Question for Biden is does he make sure to pick a black nominee in light of the last two and a half months, or does he try and shore up the mid-west with "that woman from Michigan"

It's Kammy

All aboard the Biden bus
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 9:47pm
Good choice. Glad to hear that.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 9:52pm
Always been impressed by her. 

She buried Trump's hatchet man Attorney General Barr on the Mueller probe hearings. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 10:29pm
Tough call for that freak Pence now as to whether he'll do the debate, he hates being alone with women

I suppose refusing to ever be alone with women is one foolproof way for him to avoid becoming a rapist

One rapist on the Republican ticket is bad enough, two would be, well, it would be exactly what you'd expect from them
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 11:05pm
Best candidate, I think. Very possibly a future President, maybe sooner rather than later if Biden doesn't serve the full term, bearing in mind his age. I am assuming a blue wave in November-always dangerous to assume such things, I know.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 12:55am

It's Kammy

All aboard the Biden bus

Unbelievable, Jeff!

Biden's hair that is.

F**king hell, Trump Vs Biden; both a bit rapy and both to be thought to be in the early stages of dementia.

330m people and that's the best the they can come up with.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 12 Aug 2020 at 12:55am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 229230231232233 334>
  Share Topic