You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

U.S Politics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 221222223224225 334>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 4:29pm
Undoubtedly, but he would have at least tried.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 4:40pm
Honestly, I don't think it is about what a President can do, but what a President wouldn't do, or even more to the point, say. I would be interested to see a resume of Trump's executive actions, and how many of them will be longstanding. I have a hunch that they would be very limited indeed. However, unlike Dubyah, the damage done has been the product of his rhetoric, his language, and his associations.

I always felt in November 2008 that America was given a reprieve with Obama, by the International Community, as they felt the shackles of Bush's Republican Party were thrown off. I think its beyond doubtful that such a reprieve will be instantly given when Trump leaves office, even for a Democrat.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Honestly, I don't think it is about what a President can do, but what a President wouldn't do, or even more to the point, say. I would be interested to see a resume of Trump's executive actions, and how many of them will be longstanding. I have a hunch that they would be very limited indeed. However, unlike Dubyah, the damage done has been the product of his rhetoric, his language, and his associations.

I always felt in November 2008 that America was given a reprieve with Obama, by the International Community, as they felt the shackles of Bush's Republican Party were thrown off. I think its beyond doubtful that such a reprieve will be instantly given when Trump leaves office, even for a Democrat.

Trump has done huge long term credibility damage by pulling out of international agreements as it tells every country in the world not to bother dealing with the U.S. especially when they can reelect another wingnut like Trump to renege on it. Tearing up the Iran Deal out of personal spite to Obama despite all the work and international co-operation between all the superpowers was completely outrageous. 

To put it in a local context. Imagine the uproar in this country if John Bruton tore up the Downing Street Declaration because of personal animosity between him and Reynolds. It would be hugely damaging to the country's international credibility and interests and he would be removed from power the next day with a vote of no confidence. 

With Trump, if you elect a clown, you get a circus. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Trump has done huge long term credibility damage by pulling out of international agreements as it tells every country in the world not to bother dealing with the U.S. especially when they can reelect another wingnut like Trump to renege on it. Tearing up the Iran Deal out of personal spite to Obama despite all the work and international co-operation between all the superpowers was completely outrageous. 

To put it in a local context. Imagine the uproar in this country if John Bruton tore up the Downing Street Declaration because of personal animosity between him and Reynolds. It would be hugely damaging to the country's international credibility and interests and he would be removed from power the next day with a vote of no confidence. 

The aim of the whole Trump project was to destroy the US's international reputation by destroying the country from the inside. Putin could scarcely have dreamed that his man would do the job so effectively.

Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 9:10pm
I wonder will they have another flag referendum in Mississippi. The last one was defeated by 64%.

SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 9:38pm
Genuine question - who do Americans think is being racist? Because it seems everyone is outraged including Police forces government officials etc. All joining in with protests, Hypocrits. Is trump the only racist in America? 

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 9:46pm
Topper! How are things?
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN wrote:

Genuine question - who do Americans think is being racist? Because it seems everyone is outraged including Police forces government officials etc. All joining in with protests, Hypocrits. Is trump the only racist in America? 

Genuine question he says LOL
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 8:54am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

The aim of the whole Trump project was to destroy the US's international reputation by destroying the country from the inside. Putin could scarcely have dreamed that his man would do the job so effectively.

step away from the keyboard Sidney 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 9:09am
Take your own advice there.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 12:09pm

True, but the situation is now so out of control that its gone beyond circus to country almost at war with itself. If Hillary had been in charge, she would be in charge, and would generally be able to strike the right notes. The problem is, Trump is willing to pick and choose the protestors he will side with, which is hypocritical, and extremely dangerous.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 2:57pm

True, but the situation is now so out of control that its gone beyond circus to country almost at war with itself. If Hillary had been in charge, she would be in charge, and would generally be able to strike the right notes. 

The country has been at war over race as long as I can remember, and probably long before that. Every so often it literally, flares up and it will continue long after we're all gone. That's just the way it is over there.

They're not the only country with race issues, there are plenty of others closer to home. But there is an ugly side to how it's policed in America which reflects the aggressive environment the country lives in. Everyone has the right to own a gun, and surprise surprise, they are used. That has been the case for over 200 years. I don't know what the answer is, but I know it's not rioting and looting. 
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 3:06pm

True, but the situation is now so out of control that its gone beyond circus to country almost at war with itself. If Hillary had been in charge, she would be in charge, and would generally be able to strike the right notes. The problem is, Trump is willing to pick and choose the protestors he will side with, which is hypocritical, and extremely dangerous.
Confused. Pretty sure the President of the USA would normally side with the police especially when the rioting and looting is getting out of control. 
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Have we spoken? I don't think we ever have?

Anyway, very few. Most politicians want to go along with the status quo, only speaking out when it is beneficial for their careers. There is plenty examples of that right now, you won't have to look to far! There seemed to be many more such people in the past, but there are fewer these days.
People like Bernie and Corbyn have, whatever their faults, put their head above the parapet repeatedly to try and  bring causes  to the forefront of attention and when they get them there is when the likes of Biden and Starmer pay them lip service. 
I am sure there are a lot of politicians that mean well, but it doesn't mean more than their career. Obama and Starmer are probably examples of that. Obama promised plenty and delivered little, except continued pain to millions of people, particularly in the Middle East, for which he was awarded a peace price. He is now lauded because compared to Trump he looks wonderful. He seems like a nice man, but he went along with what was easiest rather than push for real reform. I suppose the reality is, if he truly wanted to achieve real reform they wouldn't have let him be elected.
From my (little) knowledge of the US political system it seems very hard to get anything progressive passed due to lobby groups, legal red tape and a whole host of other reasons. If Sanders was elected I think he would have been hamstrung too by the system.

I doubt he would've allowed Citigroup to hand pick virtually his entire cabinet, though...

http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by jamo1 jamo1 wrote:

Confused. Pretty sure the President of the USA would normally side with the police especially when the rioting and looting is getting out of control. 
[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but then don't start suggesting that Governors should start bargaining with protesters. At least be consistent.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 3:36pm
El Puto Amo
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 3:46pm
This is a brilliant podcast. Cuts through so much of the soap opera fog which surrounds coverage of Trump and gets to heart of the real issues.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/reichstag-fire-37837568

We discuss Trump’s goal to put the military on the streets, his lust for violence and a modern-day Reichstag fire, and Bill Barr’s decree on “antifa” – an amorphous entity which is being used as a scapegoat and pretext to arrest anti-fascist activists. This tactic of labeling an activist entity as a terrorist group and assigning any dissenting individual membership in that group is common in authoritarian regimes. It’s made all the more horrible by the fact that antifa is short for “anti-fascist” – so yes, what you are seeing is the US government declaring the denouncement of fascism to be a terrorist act. As Andrea's film MR. JONES, available now in the U.S. and soon in Canada, reminds us in the opening clip  –  Reichstag fires are how wannabe dictators consolidate power.  

We also discuss prior mass protest movements that we covered in Ferguson and in Ukraine, as well as the failed revolutions of authoritarian states like Uzbekistan, and describe what lessons they hold for Americans now. And we raise our worries about the coronavirus – both its spread, and also how the Trump administration will weaponize it against those expressing dissent.

Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 4:41pm
If some white cops were to get killed by a mob, there would be carnage. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 221222223224225 334>
  Share Topic