You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reeling In The Years

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reeling In The Years
    Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 7:14pm
Have only seen threads on this in reference to certain years and not the actual program itself.

Watching the 93 one tonight. Never knew that In Your Eyes song was our Eurovision one.

RTE have plenty of faults (Fair City,The English Class,The Last Furlong,telly bingo hosted by a transvestite, Pat Kenny,Miriam etc etc) but this program certainly isn't one of them.

Apart from having the nostalgic look at the past that you experienced, the various songs from the particular year always suit the mood of an event from that year. Phil Collins In The Air Tonight from 81 when the hunger strikes footage appeared / that Bjork (I think it's her) song when there was a rebellion in Moscow in 93 (which was on tonight) completely enhances the importance of the event.

Whoever does the text to the events on the program is very good and the choice of the music to the particular event is excellent and spot on.

A fantastic piece of television which I could watch again and again.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 9:48pm
I think it is the one fella puts the majority of it together, John O'Regan is the chap's name, or at least, he is the main man, aided by whatever amount of researchers. Here's an interview with him in the IT from a few years ago explaining how tis put together. 

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/it-s-impossible-now-to-view-the-decade-past-without-regret-1.661839

He is a bit modest about his talents there though, I think his true genius is in selecting the music for the relevant footage. It also appears from those choices that Mr O'Regan has a bit of a wry sense of humour, which always helps. 

Using REM's 'Shiny Happy People' over footage of Ian Paisley roaring 'NO' to something or other always makes me laugh (not sure on the year, maybe '91),  The Wonderstuff's 'Size of a Cow' over footage of Larry Goodman & the Beef Tribunal is absolute comedy gold. How long did it take to find that one pretty obscure song, just to use in a clip of a few seconds ???  Coming up with stuff like that isn't easy, in fact half the time people don't even recognise the fact that the lyrics in the music clips are linked to the footage, that's how good these fellas are. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 10:09pm
Brilliant programme. As Deise mentioned the music mixed in with the wry comedy make it what it is. Tonights episode alone finishing with Bertie commenting on locking up all tax cheats and dodgers was gold. Straight away all I could think of was Paddy the Plasterer and dig outs from pals!
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

I think it is the one fella puts the majority of it together, John O'Regan is the chap's name, or at least, he is the main man, aided by whatever amount of researchers. Here's an interview with him in the IT from a few years ago explaining how tis put together. 

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/it-s-impossible-now-to-view-the-decade-past-without-regret-1.661839

He is a bit modest about his talents there though, I think his true genius is in selecting the music for the relevant footage. It also appears from those choices that Mr O'Regan has a bit of a wry sense of humour, which always helps. 

Using REM's 'Shiny Happy People' over footage of Ian Paisley roaring 'NO' to something or other always makes me laugh (not sure on the year, maybe '91),  The Wonderstuff's 'Size of a Cow' over footage of Larry Goodman & the Beef Tribunal is absolute comedy gold. How long did it take to find that one pretty obscure song, just to use in a clip of a few seconds ???  Coming up with stuff like that isn't easy, in fact half the time people don't even recognise the fact that the lyrics in the music clips are linked to the footage, that's how good these fellas are. 

On the DVD of the 80's one during Charlie's "Living beyond our means" speech they had the Minder theme (I should be so good for you) playing
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 10:20pm
Nailed it Deise. The soundtrack to every episode is damn near perfect. Every time, it just works. From happy memories, to controversial moments, and some very sad, poignant ones. A couple even without music, which makes a huge impact. 

Such a simple programme. But so perfect
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 10:24pm
Reeling in the YBIG years:

2010:

Kerrzy fully commits his support of Trapattoni and attacks anyone in opposition to him
JohnnyCCFC creates his own Ramblers Forum after a confrontation on YBIG to much amusement
Propagandhi has a nuclear meltdown
John Delaney is a public hero after funding an alcohol fueled disco train in slovakia

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 10:41pm
Reeling in The Years is probably the best stuff RTE has ever done, doesn't matter how many times I've seen a particular year, I always just sit down and watch it, they just nail it. Clap
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 11:17pm
He also worked on Richard and Judy :) can't win them all

He had worked on loads such as late late and tubridy tonight and the Russ abbot show and then news for itv. Very experienced producer
AKA pedantic kunt
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 11:23pm
Love it. Never get sick of watching it. I think you can get it on DVD now.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 12:15am
Its mad to look back even as recently as the early 90s and see some of the crooks that were running the country and just how male dominated politics was in this country.
You look at the likes of Mary Robinson and think what a trail blazer she was.
Its also gas that on every episode there`s a priest caught for knocking off some bit on the side in some far flung country.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 8:27am
Absolutely love this show - Was the standard routine for years for us on a Sunday. Off into London for a GAA match in the afternoon, back to the local to watch it over a few pints in the evening and then spend the rest of the evening being slightly homesick !
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 8:50am
Beat It being played over the clip of 12 Apostles AI Football final in 1983
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 11:23am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Nailed it Deise. The soundtrack to every episode is damn near perfect. Every time, it just works. From happy memories, to controversial moments, and some very sad, poignant ones. A couple even without music, which makes a huge impact. 

Such a simple programme. But so perfect

Anytime there's a bombing there's no music. Nothing Compares To You coming on when Iraq invades Kuwait was quality.

Edited by irishmufc - 20 Aug 2015 at 11:24am
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 11:28am

1981 had an election , hunger strick, stardust and a riot.

'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 11:33am
Lads is this on youtube or RTE iplayer? 

foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 11:59am
Can't remember the year but the one that finishes with the piece on the yugoslsvian war always gives me goosebumps. No music just a woman asking why
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 12:00pm
1991, was on the other night

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

1981 had an election , hunger strick, stardust and a riot.
A lot of years in the 80s had elections LOL

3 elections in 18 months there was.

To the tune of Banana Republic by the Boomtown Rats

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic