You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reeling In The Years

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 12:32pm
Probably the best programme RTE have ever produced. The music is always oustanding. Thumbs Up
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 12:42pm
Money Money Money by ABBA during one of the bank strikes in the 70's
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 12:50pm
Always used to watch it in college when we'd come back pissed from a night out! A good history lesson!
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 1:20pm
Minister for Finance Bertie 'no bank account' Ahern lyeing through his bollox the other night about catching tax evaders was comical.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 8:59am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Reeling in the YBIG years:

2010:

Kerrzy fully commits his support of Trapattoni and attacks anyone in opposition to him
JohnnyCCFC creates his own Ramblers Forum after a confrontation on YBIG to much amusement
Propagandhi has a nuclear meltdown
John Delaney is a public hero after funding an alcohol fueled disco train in slovakia

Reeling In The Nineties is discovered, just 15 years after it's original broadcast.

August is Prime Time for the show every year with 5 shows per week, to cover RTE's reduced news coverage. Despite it being their own production, it is the only show banned on RTE One+1, apparantly for "rights" issues.

It isn't all comedy and entertainment however. The coverage of the troubles that are featured can be difficult to watch during the 80's episodes, and I personally find the footage of the riot at the RDS in 81 too distressing to watch again. 200 people were injured that afternoon, just three months after the brits won the Eurovision there. Ann Doyle would say it was her worst year in RTE, given all that happened.

I would also prefer the FAI Cup Final own each year rather than the finals of the amateur, backward, parochial game dressed up as "sport" instead.

That aside, it is RTE's most popular programme and rightly so.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 9:20am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Despite it being their own production, it is the only show banned on RTE One+1, apparantly for "rights" issues.
They own the rights to the footage but obviously not the rights to the music. Same problem with DVD's of the show.
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Despite it being their own production, it is the only show banned on RTE One+1, apparantly for "rights" issues.
They own the rights to the footage but obviously not the rights to the music. Same problem with DVD's of the show.

Why is it banned on the one hour later show and not the regular hour? I must be thick. I don't get it.

Is this the reason why RTÉ +1 only goes out after 7pm and has a clocked finishing time too?
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 11:01am
Presumably because they'd have to pay our twice for the music
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Presumably because they'd have to pay our twice for the music
Aye
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Probably the best programme RTE have ever produced. The music is always oustanding. Thumbs Up

pretty sure it is a copy of a show BBC1 used to do, same format news footage with subtitles and contemporary music playing though cant recal the name Edit - the Rock and roll Years

Edited by Newryrep - 24 Aug 2015 at 1:24pm
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 8:32am
I understand why DVD's are restricted to Irl and NI only. But I don't understand the music issue. RTE has music on almost every single tv programme, plays the songs featured on radio, yet won't air them on their own production on RTE One +1.

Eastenders used to be banned too, but that was lifted after a while. Movies are shown on the station, with all their music included. I just don't get what the issue with RITY is.
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 9:04am
Difference between broadcasting live and a podcast in radio so I am guessing tv is the same.   

You can play a song on the radio but you can only play a 30 seconds of it on a podcast.   Tv must be the same.

Edited by Baldrick - 25 Aug 2015 at 9:05am
AKA pedantic kunt
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

pretty sure it is a copy of a show BBC1 used to do, same format news footage with subtitles and contemporary music playing though cant recal the name Edit - the Rock and roll Years
Yes we have said this before - The Rock and Roll Years on BBC2.

Think it went from 1955 (Bill Haley etc) up to 1969.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 7:34pm
Great show. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 12:25am
Watched the year 2000 yesterday.  'Texting becomes popular'.  Mental. 20 yrs ago! Where does the time go to!

It don't seem right to me Jeff
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 7:49pm
2007 was on. Showing the Irish heading off to New York for Christmas shopping. Hon the boom. 
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 8:13pm
Aww yes the boom years when the Irish Celebrity was born. Before Social Media The Heralds "Dublin Weekly" column was the source of what Influencer types back then where doing on a Sunday In Lillies. Where people like Gavin Lambe Murphy and Gerald Kean lives where there for the city to see because of Xpose and VIP Magazine deemed it newsworthy. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

2007 was on. Showing the Irish heading off to New York for Christmas shopping. Hon the boom. 
t'was a bit of a classic alright. TO be fair it was $1.60 to the Euro at the time, I wnet to the states in early 2008 and loved being there and having everything so cheap.

It was a great year for Reeling in the Years, so many quotes from David Drumm, Sean Fitzpatrick, Bertie, Cowen, etc that aged very badly
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic