You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your Team vs Gibraltar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

McCarthy and Whelan have never worked and never will work but they will not be split up this canpaign such is the manager's conservatism. Playing 2 holding mudfielders against a team of part timers would be laughable - even Trap started Hoolahan in a 4 man midfield at home to the Faroes. I font care who he starts on Friday but would like to see a different midfield duo who will also go on to start the 3 games after.

Its now the time that MON should be earning his new contract by at least showing some promise in his team selections. If he goes for the same old on friday. The next 2 and a quarter years under him will be bleak

Agree completely on the McCarthy - Whelan issue. Playing two holding / defensive midfielders against a team like Gibraltar would be bonkers. In fact, there is an argument for saying they should only be used against a superior team like Germany, not even against similar sides to ourselves like Scotland and Poland. Our lack of creativity in the last game against Scotland was shocking. A lot of neutrals watching on Sky Sports who hadn't seen much of us before said they were appalled by our caveman tactics.
Sponsored Links

grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 1:04pm
Randolph

Coleman
O'Shea
Clark
Wilson

McGeady
McCarthy
Hoolahan
Brady

Walters
Keane
The only way is up
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 1:08pm

Coleman O'Shea (C)  Wilson  Brady

McCarthy Whelan

Hoolahn  Hendrick

Long   Keane

My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Scamper View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 1:09pm
Randolph

Coleman Clarke OShea Bray

McCarthy

OKane HooliHan McLean

Long Keane
====#Everywhere you play, We'll Follow====
Bohsfan84 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bohsfan84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Randolph

Coleman
O'Shea
Clark
Wilson

McGeady
McCarthy
Hoolahan
Brady

Walters
Keane

Walters and Keane have a combined age of 67 and McGeady has missed virtually the entirety of pre-season, getting hooked at half-time in the match against Barnsley.

Doesn't inspire confidence.

O'Kane is a possible wildcard. He's more measured in possession than Quinn and Arter and he offers the requisite physicality.

Edited by Bohsfan84 - 02 Sep 2015 at 1:17pm
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 1:38pm
Keane is on form & is our only natural goal scorer despite his age. Long is usually only good when he comes on as a sub which is why I'd play Walters and bring on Long later. McGeady needs game time so Gibraltar is ideal for him to play in. I agree though that O'Kane could be a possible wildcard.

Edited by grannyrule - 02 Sep 2015 at 1:43pm
The only way is up
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 1:40pm
It's interesting, a few months ago. Many of us couldn't understand why Randolph was there 4 keepers, now we're calling for the guy to start. 

Bohsfan84 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bohsfan84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 1:44pm
I think that Walters has been pretty rubbish all through the qualifying campaign TBH. He tends to start games well and then drifts out of them quickly enough.

He's okay if we are trying to hold on to a lead but he doesn't bring anything from an attacking perspective or in terms of linking up with other players. I question why he is played wide as well when he cannot cross a ball. Shane Long has the pace and delivery to play wide. The mind boggles..

Himself and Murphy (goal aside) offered nothing in attack against Scotland.

Keane, too, is on fire in the MLS but he has always been on fire in the MLS and it has never translated on to the pitch with Ireland.

He got barely any touches against Germany and Poland.

I am less worried about it now that we are playing Gibraltar and Georgia but we need more pace, strength and dynamism against Poland and Germany.

Edited by Bohsfan84 - 02 Sep 2015 at 1:47pm
DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 1:45pm
                                                  Randolph

Coleman (C)                      Clarke                        Wilson                   Christie

Hendrick                     McCarthy (encouraged to get forward)

McGeady                 Hoolahan/O'Kane             Brady

Long/Walters                
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

It's interesting, a few months ago. Many of us couldn't understand why Randolph was there 4 keepers, now we're calling for the guy to start. 

If Westwood was fit I'd be calling for him instead
The only way is up
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 1:49pm

Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

If Westwood was fit I'd be calling for him instead

If Randolph can keep out Adrian, he could be our num 1 for the foreseeable future. It's 'if'
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 3:06pm
Adrian is one of the best keepers in the league. Really can't see Randolph keeping him out sadly. Would love to be proved wrong though!
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 3:15pm
I dont rate Whelan, well known infact.

But given how poor McCarthy has played for Ireland, I'd actually settle for one of them being dropped at this stage.

I do feel though that McCarthy would benefit no end by having another "runner" in beside him.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 9:46pm
O'kane is like a number 10 position player ,  he was exposed vs leicester the other day, dont think the manager is using him properly,  

is a ball player you need  someone near him quick and fast enough to steal rival's possesion and pass it back to o'kane to creat crafty football
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 9:49pm
I cant believe how many  #10 flair  players ireland is making nowadays  

you have  hoolahan, o'kane , brady can do it somewhere in the future, mcgeady also and maybe  grealish as well  plus  that  hourihane  trendy player.  McCarthy can play there as well as GIO TRAPPATTONI  quoted before

so  Liam Brady was a landmark after all
Guest View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

I dont rate Whelan, well known infact.

But given how poor McCarthy has played for Ireland, I'd actually settle for one of them being dropped at this stage.

I do feel though that McCarthy would benefit no end by having another "runner" in beside him.

I don't know why we keep playing 2 or more defensive midfielders. Nobody in that area is getting forward and that's a big reason we don't score as much or are not beating teams of our own standard. As long as we keep playing like that we are going nowhere
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 11:54pm

Randolph

Coleman
O'Shea
Clark
Wilson

McGeady
McCarthy
Hoolahan
Brady

Walters
Keane

I would go for that except I would have Long in for Walters.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
ParkLife View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParkLife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 11:24am
Any idea when the team will be announced?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic