You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Wrongly pronounced GAA Names by RTE commentators
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wrongly pronounced GAA Names by RTE commentators

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wrongly pronounced GAA Names by RTE commentators
    Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 2:54pm
Donal Vaughan - pronounced Donal Vauckin

Bonar or Anthony Maher - pronounced Bonar (Anthony) Marr

Benny Coulter - pronounced Benny Cooolter

Anthony Thompson -  the "Th" at the start of the surname is pronounced. Why is the H pronounced here and not in the word 'three' for example. If he scored 0-3 in a game the commentator would probably say "Thhhompson has now scored tree"

Walter Walsh - pronounced Walter Welsh Confused probably the strangest of the lot that one

Any others? Im sure there are more im forgetting

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 14 Aug 2015 at 3:02pm
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 2:56pm
They can't seem to tell the difference between Walsh and Welch. 
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 2:57pm
Welsh is how they say Walsh down around KK for some bizarre reason
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 3:00pm
Walsh is pronounced Welsh in a load of places in Ireland. Strange one alright, very confusing

Also, Keane being pronounced "Kane".
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 3:01pm
I forgot the great Donegal half back Carol Lacey

kimbap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 3:12pm
My last name is Walsh,4th most common name in Ireland.Pronounced Welsh in many parts of the west and also Kilkenny.

Staunton is also pronounced Stanton,keane as Kane,lots of examples of this. 
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 3:22pm
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I think its meant to be spelt Karol and thats where the confusion lies Id imagine. I know a lad from Donegal with that name but its pronounced Karl. Id say Ringerbell could shed more light on that
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Walsh is pronounced Welsh in a load of places in Ireland. Strange one alright, very confusing

Also, Keane being pronounced "Kane".
not really when the name breathnach originates from the one from wales
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 3:41pm
Also waterford see brick walsh
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Also waterford see brick walsh

That would be Brick Welsh, who plays home hurling games in Welsh Park. Referred to as nothing else around here, anyone with that surname pronouncing it as 'Walsh' would be seen as someone with notions about thereselves LOL

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I think its meant to be spelt Karol and thats where the confusion lies Id imagine. I know a lad from Donegal with that name but its pronounced Karl. Id say Ringerbell could shed more light on that
No it is Karl alright
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 9:20pm
Just listen to David Brady or James Nallen speak and how they pronounce names in that ultra bog man accent
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 3:24am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Just listen to David Brady or James Nallen speak and how they pronounce names in that ultra bog man accent

Any chance you could characterise what constitutes a bog man accent? By virtue of it coming from the west perhaps? You are fully entitled to your little smiley face, you clearly dont like the west of Ireland accent and that is purely a subjective opinion that you are more than entitled to. However, I would like to know what makes a lad from from Carlow/Laois/Tipperary think it is acceptable to throw stones inside the old glass house as regards the whole "bog man" thing. Aren't the best bogs from that part of the country?
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 4:59am

Any chance you could characterise what constitutes a bog man accent? By virtue of it coming from the west perhaps? You are fully entitled to your little smiley face, you clearly dont like the west of Ireland accent and that is purely a subjective opinion that you are more than entitled to. However, I would like to know what makes a lad from from Carlow/Laois/Tipperary think it is acceptable to throw stones inside the old glass house as regards the whole "bog man" thing. Aren't the best bogs from that part of the country?

Hark at the urban sophisticate Walls LOL. Fcuk whatever accent ya have, the starting point is knowing what county yer from Wink...........

Those Tipp bogs ?? Aye, they still kind of exist, but co-exist with eco-warrior windmills, all 758 of them dotted around the flatlands outside Thurles after a full year's spinning would just about be enough to power the main beam on yer rothar for about 20 minutes, that is, if you had a rothar in the first place. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 7:53am
Whelan pronounced weelan in most places is pronounced waylan in the South East. Something similar happens with Phelan. Pronounced faylan in the SE.

A strange one that i never understood.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 11:02am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Hark at the urban sophisticate Walls LOL. Fcuk whatever accent ya have, the starting point is knowing what county yer from Wink...........

Those Tipp bogs ?? Aye, they still kind of exist, but co-exist with eco-warrior windmills, all 758 of them dotted around the flatlands outside Thurles after a full year's spinning would just about be enough to power the main beam on yer rothar for about 20 minutes, that is, if you had a rothar in the first place. 

Far, far from it LOL
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 11:46am

thinking the same walls. GIve me your dulcet western tone over the sound of banjo country anyday

Edited by Sham157 - 15 Aug 2015 at 11:47am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic