You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Overall state of LOI Stadia?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: In your opinion whats the overall state of the current league stadia?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.94%]
12 [35.29%]
21 [61.76%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by cm79 cm79 wrote:

Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Is Croke Park a county ground?

Its not, you got me there.

I would say that Parnell Park is in better shape than any LOI ground in Dublin.
better that Tallaght? Get up the yard
Sponsored Links

ABFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 7:01pm

Tallaght is only marginally better 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by ABFC ABFC wrote:

Parnell is without a doubt a better ground than Tallaght.
cm79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Cawhil cattle caaaaal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cm79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 7:45pm
I was on about LOI grounds in Dublin, I never mentioned Wicklow
ABFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 7:48pm

I was on about LOI grounds in Dublin, I never mentioned Wicklow

Why do Bohs fans always make the Wicklow joke? It's f**king moronic. It was never funny
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

how?
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 10:26pm

Rubbish. Places like Navan, Sligo and Drogheda are absolute holes, far worse than any LoI ground. Pairc Ui Caoimh is another stalinist armpit.

Or put another way, what county ground has the facilities and spectator comfort of Tallaght or Turners Cross? Casement, the Gaelic Grounds and possibly Semple stadium. The rest are way off the standard of better LoI venues.
Why are you always comparing everything to the GAA? Its a stupid comparison. Take my own county ground as an example. Most of it is terraced with one covered stand. You may argue the spectator comfort when the rain or hail is lashing the terraces , but on a nice day , there is nothing wrong with it. It can hold almost 45000 people when full to capacity. The main stand isn't anything fancy and could do with a facelift , but it seats over 9000 people with adequate facilities . I don't believe any LOI ground seats 9000 people. I know some GAA clubs in Kerry have by far better facilities and spectator comfort than some LOI clubs, not to mind county grounds so its another pointless argument. So once again you are talking complete and utter sh*t by saying the rest , including Fitzgerald Stadium are way off the standard of the better LOI facilities.
starryplough View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starryplough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

So I fell down a Wiki black hole last and I ended up looking up the SPL stadia. I was surprised as they are all pretty good grounds but (outside of Ibrox and Celtic Park) nothing exceptional and certainly achievable in this league.
What are peoples overall opinions of our current Stadia and hopes for the future?

Ibrox is not an SPL ground
Some Clubs Are Bigger Than Others
starryplough View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starryplough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 9:28am
I won't go as far as the first division but in the premier we have a very mixed bag with some huge gaps between the best and the worst stadiums. Licensing really needs to be enforced on the culprits down at the bottom, some of them are in appalling state

Top of the class
Tallaght, Turners Cross

Good
Eamonn Deacy, Showgrounds

Okay but need improvements
Flancare, Markets Field (putting it in this category as can only go from what I've seen on the box since the upgrade), Richmond

Very poor need extensive work
Brandywell, Dalymount, United Park

Terrible simply not good enough
Carlisle Grounds, Oriel

Some Clubs Are Bigger Than Others
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 9:37am
EDIT: Wrong thread

Edited by Landon Donovan - 15 Aug 2015 at 9:38am
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 10:11am

how?

Capacity, 4 sides, location (as in~ not in the f**king mountains with a gale blowing through most games) 4/5 pubs within 3 minute walk, bar on site open to all, served by 7/8 bus routes and the Dart is 4 min walk away
As someone else said your fascination with the GAA is embarrassing
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 10:33am
How exactly is bray not good enough? Need new jacks but that's it

Saying it's worse than hunky dory is a joke
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 1:25pm

Rubbish. Places like Navan, Sligo and Drogheda are absolute holes, far worse than any LoI ground. Pairc Ui Caoimh is another stalinist armpit.

Or put another way, what county ground has the facilities and spectator comfort of Tallaght or Turners Cross? Casement, the Gaelic Grounds and possibly Semple stadium. The rest are way off the standard of better LoI venues.
Pearse Park in Longford has no fire cert and they have to knock the main stand. 
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
trevwaterford View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevwaterford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 2:22pm
The Regional Sports Centre is a better ground than both Walsh Park and Fraher Field in Waterford which are 2 of the poorest county grounds around. I'm not saying that in a point scoring way as support both teams but it's a fact. Two modern covered stands at RSC versus 1 old stand at both GAA grounds with uncovered gravel or grass banks for the rest of the ground.
Some LOI grounds could do with improvement but funds are the issue.
Waterford City council run the RSC and could get grants as also used for athletics.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 2:58pm

how?

Capacity, 4 sides, location (as in~ not in the f**king mountains with a gale blowing through most games) 4/5 pubs within 3 minute walk, bar on site open to all, served by 7/8 bus routes and the Dart is 4 min walk away
As someone else said your fascination with the GAA is embarrassing
capacity is irrelevant and only bigger due to terracing, some of which is uncovered, location too. There are also pubs nearby and a bar on site, the public transport links for Tallaght are as good if not better. The difference is Tallaght is custom built for spectators, all seated and a more modern build.   
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 5:21pm

Let's try this another way. Which is the better stadium? Markevic Park or the Showgrounds?

Showgrounds obviously. The park is falling apart. But the question is overall. To pick one of the worst GAA grounds in the country is stupid.
Anyway the GAA infrastructure is miles ahead of the combined grassroots/LOI/international team infrastructure.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 10:38pm
Well Waterford, Cork and Longford is the same story according to posters here....
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 11:04pm

Well Waterford, Cork and Longford is the same story according to posters here....

I have no idea why you have dragged the GAA into a discussion about LOI stadia. But what you have done is pick the best LOI grounds and pitted them against the worst GAA grounds.
If you want to do a comparison pick the top 5 GAA grounds and pit them against the best 5 LOI grounds. I reckon GAA grounds come out on top.

Now take the likes of Stradbrook and St. Coleman's park and pit them against marcevicz park. I reckon the GAA still comes out on top.

As most people have already told you here you're argument is like comparing apples with oranges. We may as well compare our grounds to EPL stadia. Its along the same line of pointlessness. We need to improve our stadia and so do other codes. The fact remains the GAA will take in 16million from the hurling semis (possibly could be football semis). Our league can only dream of that kind of revenue.
Their stadia works for them by and large ours don't.

If you need me to hammer home the point even more Páirc Seán Mac Diarmada in the home to Leitrim GAA in Carrick on Shannon. It has one stand with a capacity of 3000. If you offered it to our sides 10-15 of them would take it.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic