You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 127>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 1:36pm
I agree with practically everything Joe Brolly says.
@AntrimMan85
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Dead

'Sean Cavanagh is not a man' since that moment I have hated the prick. Sean Cavanagh is the standout player in Ireland over the last 10 years, and on top of that a top top bloke.

rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Dead

'Sean Cavanagh is not a man' since that moment I have hated the prick. Sean Cavanagh is the standout player in Ireland over the last 10 years, and on top of that a top top bloke.

LOL

Good player but not the best of the last 10 years.
Il Principe View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Il Principe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 5:09pm
if you dont work for a living you die and ur children will starve
WillyJizz View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

That's my actual name

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillyJizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 8:34pm
There are a lot of posts in here giving out about welfare 'scroungers' and the like that belong more in a thread about 'Popular opinions that are actually a load of rubbish'

Lets look at the fahcts a la benitez. About ten years ago Ireland had its lower ever rate of unemployment, roughly 3.6% of the potential workforce. This is the best place to look to try and get a fairly accurate idea of the numbers of people who choose to receive welfare instead of working as it was when the job market was at its healthiest. The rate of long term unemployment (12 months or more) during this perioid was 1.2%. This is obviously what we have to look at if we want to asses the impact of 'scroungers' on the state. So of this 1.2% we obviously still had people who were genuinely unable to find full time employment; there were parts of rural ireland or large working class areas where prospects remained poor even during the height of the boom. 

A large percentage of the live register consists of people in part time or casual employment who receive a small income which is in essence 'topped up' by the state. I myself was in this position for about 18months or so; working in a job on a zero hour contract, constantly being promised full time hours but rarely receiving them. It's unfair to label all of these people scroungers, I personally consider myself hard working and would take offence at being labeled a sponge due to work circumstances beyond my control.

There are also fairly large numbers of people who find themselves unable to hold down a job due to an underlaying or undiagnosed medical condition, often related to mental illness. I've known at least two people myself who were constantly out of work during the boom and were later diagnosed with serious and debilitating mental illnesses. I also know a girl who was similarly unable to work due to chronic back pain but it took a couple of years for her to be certified as medically unable to work in full time employment. People in these situations are still labeled as part of that 1.2% of long term unemployed, and I imagine their situations are fairly common. Again; not scroungers. 

There is also the case of people who don't work for practical reasons e.g. caring for a loved one who for any number of reasons are technically inelligable for carers assistance and thus remain on the live register as full time unemployed. Hard to asses numbers here but they definitely exist, even in tiny numbers.

Finally we have the situation of young people in their late teens or early twenties who drift about for a bit and maybe only work part time while they figure out what they want to do with their life/f**k about in a band/as an artist before copping on and joining the world of full time wage work. Also lumped in with this young people who lack the confidence to go out working straight away and take a year or so to mature. Maybe not model citizens they are hardly destroying civilisation. 

So after all of those exceptions, and others that I havn't thought of, we are left with the tiny percentage of people who choose not to work despite being fully capable in a thriving jobs market (which we have not had in this country for nearly a decade). The total numbers of these people is so small that the economic strain they put on the economy is more or less statistically negligible (someone about said 'bleeding the state dry'!!), particularly when its gauged alongside the impact of the tens of billions of euros of private banking debts that the state regretfully took on. 

I don't blame people entirely for holding such ignorant views though when the media is constantly peddling rubbish about the scourge of 'scroungers' despite the real lack of evidence that they are anything more than a rare anomaly, and we even have 'leftist' politicians like Joan Burton blaming this mythical figure for the state of the countries finances.  

DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 8:38pm
Eh Confused
WillyJizz View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

That's my actual name

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillyJizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Eh Confused

Hah yeah prolly ranting a bit there, just trying to point out that theres little evidence of welfare scroungers having a major impact on the countries finances, something i've seen alleged a fair bit on these forums!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 8:45pm
I was just wondering was this in the right thread LOL
WillyJizz View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

That's my actual name

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillyJizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 8:50pm
Just in response to people above saying scroungers should be deported, or that we are unable to cope with numbers of people arriving from abroad to scrounge benefits (non-nationals here outside of direct provision are listed on live register if in receipt of social welfare so are relevant to the above rant) Hope i didn't derail the thread!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 8:52pm
Nah Thumbs Up
ShayGivensBum View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

The lighter coloured grass is painted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 10:43pm
Boobs are really annoying and not fun!!
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

I totally disagree Wink
Il Principe View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Il Principe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 12:45pm
the special olympics are a pile of sh*te!
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

Pics or gtfo
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 1:34pm
I wouldn't be in the slightest bit worried if dogs didnt exist

OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 2:40pm
The Big Lebowski is a terrible film. also, Drive is nothing more than a nice-looking vanity project that doesnt stand on its own as a proper film
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I wouldn't be in the slightest bit worried if dogs didnt exist

I often get given out to for not really caring about dogs. Fecking dog Nazis
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

The Big Lebowski is a terrible film.
+1

The only good thing about it is the song over the end credits.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 127>
  Share Topic