You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rising Sons Ireland's Eastern Odyssey - WC 2002
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rising Sons Ireland's Eastern Odyssey - WC 2002

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Funny thing is that the qualifiers for this was one of Robbie's worst from a goal scoring perspective.

Before the play offs he only had one goal as far as I know and did not start in some games with duffer and connolly and Doherty all picked ahead of him in 3 of the games.

Strange when you think about it now.

Keane out.

Player X should have been playing, he's past it, he doesn't run the channels, he's useless playing as a lone striker, he was drinking beer out of tea pot.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

To the old guard on here ... That have been to the more than major tournament that we qualified which was the best . I was only doin my leaving cert in 2002 so Poland was my 1st opportunity to get to a major tournament .

Did you have to repeat your English exam?

No you smug ***t . Quick enough to be the funny lad instead of answering the question
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 10:16pm
I think it's the use of ". . ." that makes it hard to decipher there Butchy 👍🏻
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Stretchryan Stretchryan wrote:

Remember heading into the Roppongi area of Tokyo after the Germany game as we based ourselves in Osaka as was cheaper - was lads sliding down big hill on cases of beer some fun.

Spend sometime then in the Mistress Bar in Roppongi which was an S&M club - credit card took some hit.
Have talked about the same bar with Fat Mike from Nofx as it gets mentioned in one of their songs.

Lifetime ago in football terms when we played well. Great times

Still scared of ropes as well. .

Jaysus, yeah, that was a fair party. We got a taxi from whatever train station, weren't really sure where we were, traffic absolutely mental. I put down the window to let in a bit of air (or exhaust fumes) at some stage, and from about 3 blocks away, you could hear '' Come on ye Boys in Green'' being sung. Said to taxi man - ''Yer grand here John, we know where we are going now'' and just followed the noise. 

Great craic with a slab of cans outside the steps of Paddy Foleys and a few thousand people in green well into the brightness of the following day. Come to think of it, I never got inside the door of Paddy Foley's any night given the crowds, but the craic seemed to be outside it in any case. 

Still regret coming home before Korea, had started a new job and had little choice, well, that and the fact Aeroflot's next available flight home wasn't until about 4 days after Korea, it would have put over a week on an extended stay, and I was going fairly broke at that stage. 

The football, it is still absolutely crazy to me that we 'out-footballed' Spain in that game, and just look at where they have gone since, and where we have gone since. It is hard to credit that we could mix it with one of the major nations of football back then and make us fear them (fair enough, they were nothing near what they became after that) to struggling to beating Georgia & drawing more or less every single game that matters since, all in a relatively short space of time. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 11:33pm
We were sad leaving Japan, it was such a great country.

However the trip to Seoul is one of my all time favourite memories.

We awoke with savage hangovers after Yokohama and the sounds of "Arrigato, Arrigato, Arrigato Nippon" ringing in our ears. This was before the mobile phone boom and contact was limited, however we heard from a lad we met in Tokyo who heard from his brother back home that tickets for the Spanish match were on sale the day before the game from the team hotel - in Seoul.

That gave us about 72 hours to get to Seoul.

Two trains sandwiched a stay in Hiroshima before a hover craft got us to Busan just in time for the Korea game against the Portuguese. We watched this in the city square with 100,000 lunatics in their "Be the Reds" tee shirts before boarding an overnight tuk tuk train to Seoul. This train was pure third world but not an iota did we care.

As we turned the corner to the team hotel we saw the que which thankfully confirmed the rumour's accuracy and the golden tickets were procured after a long que.

After we got the tickets we said we'd sneek into the restaurant for a quick breakfast and this place was ultimate five star silver service. We must have been a sight and I'm certain we stank the place out but we were starving and delighted in equal measure having completed our mammoth journey on the strength of a third hand rumour. So in we sat and for the only time in my life I ordered Eggs Benedict (how becoming of me!), it was hands down the nicest thing I have ever eaten - until the bill came. €42. I'm not kidding. I nearly cried.

Anyway, We found a "motel" and threw the bags in before a night on the town, the pub was drank out of beer as we sang "Rappongi Boys in Green" till the early hours.

God be with the days....

It's such a pity we didn't beat the Spanish, who knows where the adventure would have ended.

Good times.

Edited by eire77 - 22 Jun 2015 at 11:40pm
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2015 at 12:09am
Too young to remember the 2002 World Cup so that video was a great watch for me.. Would love to see Mick as our next manager!
Jbyrne View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbyrne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2015 at 8:37am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

As someone mentioned earlier, it's a shame that Duffer never really had the same performances for us, he was excellent in that tournament. He looks locked in those interviews LOL

compilation of duff v spain...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGnw0rh58Us
Barna Bee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barna Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2015 at 9:15am
Some crack , that trip , I think I spent about ÂŁ400 in the first night in Tokyo in  a pub in Ropongi....was carrying  a scroll of wads with me and didnt really know how much I had ....I remember i bought the group a round ...one of the others copped it and said "come on lads, this place seems a bit pricey!" ......sure was . Spent the next 10 days eating ramen in the kitchen beside Paddy Foleys and on the steps outside ...which was like a mini terrace ....what atrip . was paying for it for almost 6 months afterwards
"in di cup for Tottinghang!"
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2015 at 9:26am
Just for talks sake how much was the trip all in, was at my last year of uni in 02 and gave serious thought to saying up the loan to go...always wanted to know if I could have
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2015 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

I was only doin my leaving cert in 2002 so Poland was my 1st opportunity to get to a major tournament .

SAme boat as myself. Ireland V Germany going on while we sat down to English paper 1 Cry

I remember watching Ireland Spain in a pub in Killarney, before Cork/Kerry game, pub was packed, everyone due to ehad up to the ground at FT, extra time and penalties meant the Cork/Kerry game started while the shootout was ongoing. The stadium was empty.

Losing to Spain was a killer. All those chances (KILBANE Angry). Korea then in the QF! Who knows!
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2015 at 9:33am
The terrace outside paddy Foley's was class!! Was there every night, only went inside the pub on the first night!

It was mental on the steps and there were representatives from every country. We had serious craic with some Croats one night, got a postcard from them the following Christmas!

Every country got to sign a song on the steps except when English fans started up they were just sang over!! They couldn't figure why the love in didn't extend to them!!!

Edited by eire77 - 23 Jun 2015 at 9:35am
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2015 at 9:38am
Originally posted by armahibee armahibee wrote:

Just for talks sake how much was the trip all in, was at my last year of uni in 02 and gave serious thought to saying up the loan to go...always wanted to know if I could have

Didn't cost a quarter of what the papers would have you believe in the run up. Well, the packages might have but we booked our own flights, got the unlimited travel for a couple of hundred before we went and hostel'ed it when there which wasn't much dearer than at home. Didn't do too much drinking in pubs, mostly cans. Food wise we didn't go too high end. It's a long time ago now but excluding flights I'd say about a couple of grand all told (Korea included).

Edited by eire77 - 23 Jun 2015 at 9:39am
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2015 at 9:46am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by Stretchryan Stretchryan wrote:

Remember heading into the Roppongi area of Tokyo after the Germany game as we based ourselves in Osaka as was cheaper - was lads sliding down big hill on cases of beer some fun.

Spend sometime then in the Mistress Bar in Roppongi which was an S&M club - credit card took some hit.
Have talked about the same bar with Fat Mike from Nofx as it gets mentioned in one of their songs.

Lifetime ago in football terms when we played well. Great times

Still scared of ropes as well. .

Jaysus, yeah, that was a fair party. We got a taxi from whatever train station, weren't really sure where we were, traffic absolutely mental. I put down the window to let in a bit of air (or exhaust fumes) at some stage, and from about 3 blocks away, you could hear '' Come on ye Boys in Green'' being sung. Said to taxi man - ''Yer grand here John, we know where we are going now'' and just followed the noise. 

Great craic with a slab of cans outside the steps of Paddy Foleys and a few thousand people in green well into the brightness of the following day. Come to think of it, I never got inside the door of Paddy Foley's any night given the crowds, but the craic seemed to be outside it in any case. 

Still regret coming home before Korea, had started a new job and had little choice, well, that and the fact Aeroflot's next available flight home wasn't until about 4 days after Korea, it would have put over a week on an extended stay, and I was going fairly broke at that stage. 

The football, it is still absolutely crazy to me that we 'out-footballed' Spain in that game, and just look at where they have gone since, and where we have gone since. It is hard to credit that we could mix it with one of the major nations of football back then and make us fear them (fair enough, they were nothing near what they became after that) to struggling to beating Georgia & drawing more or less every single game that matters since, all in a relatively short space of time. 

Ha, I spent many a night on the steps of Paddy Foleys with a slab of cans bought from the shops nearby. We went into it the first night and after a few rounds of beers (€10 a beer If I remember correctly) we moved outside.
The craic outside was just brilliant, I remember the riot police at the bottom of the steps one night and us just singing at them - all friendly banter.

The place was expensive, we ate in MCD, Local shops etc the whole time and spend what we could on booze. We were on our way to Oz for the year so the flights were included in that round-the-world trip which helped.

Didn't go to S Korea as didnt have the cash but what a trip. 

The Japanese local were a class act. Helping you out when they could and always asking politely for a photo.

Class world cup and we had a great team too.

Jbyrne View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbyrne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2015 at 9:51am

3 weeks (Singapore - japan - korea) for about €4,000 all-in. flights and rail pass alone were €1,800.
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2015 at 9:51am

Didn't cost a quarter of what the papers would have you believe in the run up. Well, the packages might have but we booked our own flights, got the unlimited travel for a couple of hundred before we went and hostel'ed it when there which wasn't much dearer than at home. Didn't do too much drinking in pubs, mostly cans. Food wise we didn't go too high end. It's a long time ago now but excluding flights I'd say about a couple of grand all told (Korea included).
really!?! That's probably the most depressing thing I've ever read lol, there's always next time
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2015 at 9:53am
Sorry man! I remember the lads who didn't go saying the same when we came home.
danny10tot View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danny10tot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2015 at 12:41pm
Most enjoyable hour and a half in work in a while, great memories. Dropped down to pass English in the junior cert but got to see Robbie get the goal against Germany, was 100% worth the hassle the owl one gave me.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

George Best
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2015 at 1:15pm

really!?! That's probably the most depressing thing I've ever read lol, there's always next time

Couple of grand is probably under estimating it a bit. We based ourselves in Nagano as that has a load of hotels in it going back to when the winter Olympics was there and was off season in summer so was pretty reasonable. The bullet trains meant you could get anywhere in a few hours anyway. We moved to Tokyo after the second game and did a week there. After that the rest of the lads went home but I went on to Korea, could only change the flight to the same one the next week so had to stay on in Seoul till the Thursday after the game (savage craic that week) and then kip in the airport in Tokyo to get the flight on Friday morning. Think it cost me roughly €5k all in including spending money for a month, best money I ever spent. Would have spent a couple of grand at home anyway no doubt so well worth it.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic