You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rising Sons Ireland's Eastern Odyssey - WC 2002
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rising Sons Ireland's Eastern Odyssey - WC 2002

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 9:05pm
X

Edited by Gary McKay - 21 Jun 2015 at 9:06pm
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Sponsored Links

engpad View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote engpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 11:24pm
Great watch
bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 12:24am
What a team, what a summer that was.

2002 was the first real World Cup for me. I was only a kid in 1994 but 2002 was special. I'll never forget Keane's goal against Germany. Even now it's give you some feeling watching that goal back. That Irish team was brilliant, never again will we see a team like that. I used to genuinely get excited seeing that team play. It's like a lifetime ago!
Stretchryan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stretchryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 10:14am
Remember heading into the Roppongi area of Tokyo after the Germany game as we based ourselves in Osaka as was cheaper - was lads sliding down big hill on cases of beer some fun.

Spend sometime then in the Mistress Bar in Roppongi which was an S&M club - credit card took some hit.
Have talked about the same bar with Fat Mike from Nofx as it gets mentioned in one of their songs.

Lifetime ago in football terms when we played well. Great times

Still scared of ropes as well. .
Diego View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 11:45am
We played some great football under Mick McCarthy, 2 play-offs & a World Cup. Would love to see him back in charge. Any 1 have the road to Asia DVD, its got a picture of Roy Keane on the cover its about our qualifying campaigne for World Cup 2002. P.m me if so
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 1:43pm
A Great watch , Makes the summer when your playing tournament football 
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Stretchryan Stretchryan wrote:

Remember heading into the Roppongi area of Tokyo after the Germany game as we based ourselves in Osaka as was cheaper - was lads sliding down big hill on cases of beer some fun.

Spend sometime then in the Mistress Bar in Roppongi which was an S&M club - credit card took some hit.
Have talked about the same bar with Fat Mike from Nofx as it gets mentioned in one of their songs.

Lifetime ago in football terms when we played well. Great times

Still scared of ropes as well. .

Some thing was happening the week of the Spain game in Seoul on a street everyone used to call hooker hill, lads sliding down it on beer crates, upside down tables, the lot. Absolute carnage, lads falling off as taking all the skin off their back and their legs, some laugh all the same!
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Diego Diego wrote:

We played some great football under Mick McCarthy, 2 play-offs & a World Cup. Would love to see him back in charge. Any 1 have the road to Asia DVD, its got a picture of Roy Keane on the cover its about our qualifying campaigne for World Cup 2002. P.m me if so

I have it but not for sale
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 2:58pm
Just rewatched the highlights of the playoff
Shay Given was immense 
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 5:07pm
Some of the football played under Mick in those four game was immense, we had a great side though, he was IMO the best manager we ever had. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 5:28pm
A great watch, was only 13/14 for 2002 so didnt really take anything in other than the football and the Saipan fiasco.. Was good to see the interviews of the time.

We also played some fantastic ball under Mick, always think of what could have been if we had Keane, or even had we put Spain away.

Dont think we're ever going to get back to that level unfortunatelyCry
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 5:49pm
Forgot how good some of the football was then. The versatility we had in the team we had was great too, when he took off the full backs, Kelly and Kilbane could slot back there. Some pace we had a CH too with Stan and Breen LOL Gas to hear them slating Eto'o about his finishing given the player he went on to become.

The fact that that group didnt qualify for another tournament (I'm excluding the Euro's as the lads were at the end of their careers) is a travesty, such a good team. As someone mentioned earlier, it's a shame that Duffer never really had the same performances for us, he was excellent in that tournament. He looks locked in those interviews LOL
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
sledgehammer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sledgehammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 5:59pm
Just watched this. The summer I was 18 fantastic memories. Will never forget the feeling of Keane's goal going in against the Germans
Up there for thinking. Down there for dancing
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Forgot how good some of the football was then. The versatility we had in the team we had was great too, when he took off the full backs, Kelly and Kilbane could slot back there. Some pace we had a CH too with Stan and Breen LOL Gas to hear them slating Eto'o about his finishing given the player he went on to become.

The fact that that group didnt qualify for another tournament (I'm excluding the Euro's as the lads were at the end of their careers) is a travesty, such a good team. As someone mentioned earlier, it's a shame that Duffer never really had the same performances for us, he was excellent in that tournament. He looks locked in those interviews LOL

Euro 2000 really was the one that got away, matter of seconds away from topping the group, still sickens me thinking about it.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 9:14pm
Funny thing is that the qualifiers for this was one of Robbie's worst from a goal scoring perspective.

Before the play offs he only had one goal as far as I know and did not start in some games with duffer and connolly and Doherty all picked ahead of him in 3 of the games.

Strange when you think about it now.
AKA pedantic kunt
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 9:28pm
Bring back Mick!
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 9:51pm
To the old guard on here ... That have been to the more than major tournament that we qualified which was the best . I was only doin my leaving cert in 2002 so Poland was my 1st opportunity to get to a major tournament .
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

To the old guard on here ... That have been to the more than major tournament that we qualified which was the best . I was only doin my leaving cert in 2002 so Poland was my 1st opportunity to get to a major tournament .

Did you have to repeat your English exam?
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic