You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rising Sons Ireland's Eastern Odyssey - WC 2002
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rising Sons Ireland's Eastern Odyssey - WC 2002

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 9:41am
Anyone in the boozer with all the players after the Spain game? 

We were in this local boozer just drowning our sorrows so to speak, when in pops Quinner..then Robbie....then.....within 30 minutes the whole team/squad were in there skulling pints. What was a very quiet boozer, with no other Irish fans in it but us became absolutely mobbed within seconds. FAI officials were trying, with limited success, to stop any more fans getting in. After fff'ing the FAI blazers out of it, one of my mates went round to the side fire exit and let all the fans who were stuck outside, in, to join in the craic.

However, disaster! - We had no f**ken camera with us!!  so the same mate went across the road, where there was a pharmacist which was closed. However there was a security guard on shift and my mate in his best Japanesey game of charades managed to portray to him and convince him to grab one of the disposable cameras he could see on a shelf and reluctantly he opened the door, took the ball of cash and gave us the camera. Legend!

Needless to say, pictures with all the lads, a young Robbie with two young ones draped all over him, Dunne, Kelly, Harte, Quinner, Killer, Kinsella, all of them - might even have been a young Claudine on Robbies arm - I haven't looked at them in years and them peroxides all look the same to me!

Absolutely gutting to lose that Spain game but a great way to end the night and the trip of a lifetime.

Edited by Junior - 25 Jun 2015 at 10:02am
Sponsored Links

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 9:46am
Originally posted by Junior Junior wrote:

game of sherrards

Fcuking priceless.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Junior View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

game of sherrards

Fcuking priceless.
haha..speed typing and couldn't be bothered checking the spelling of that one!

Take it you thought the story was sh*te then Smile I'll edit it now!
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 10:23am

Anyone in the boozer with all the players after the Spain game? 

We were in this local boozer just drowning our sorrows so to speak, when in pops Quinner..then Robbie....then.....within 30 minutes the whole team/squad were in there skulling pints. What was a very quiet boozer, with no other Irish fans in it but us became absolutely mobbed within seconds. FAI officials were trying, with limited success, to stop any more fans getting in. After fff'ing the FAI blazers out of it, one of my mates went round to the side fire exit and let all the fans who were stuck outside, in, to join in the craic.

However, disaster! - We had no f**ken camera with us!!  so the same mate went across the road, where there was a pharmacist which was closed. However there was a security guard on shift and my mate in his best Japanesey game of charades managed to portray to him and convince him to grab one of the disposable cameras he could see on a shelf and reluctantly he opened the door, took the ball of cash and gave us the camera. Legend!

Needless to say, pictures with all the lads, a young Robbie with two young ones draped all over him, Dunne, Kelly, Harte, Quinner, Killer, Kinsella, all of them - might even have been a young Claudine on Robbies arm - I haven't looked at them in years and them peroxides all look the same to me!

Absolutely gutting to lose that Spain game but a great way to end the night and the trip of a lifetime.

It was a pub called Buck Mulligans where the players were initially, we went off with them after that down to Hooker Hill on a crawl till around 3 the next afternoon, ended up being about 6 of us and 6 of them left, Quinn, Kelly, Dunne, Kinsella, possibly Given and one more. Camera had run out by then, was getting other lads to take pics and giving them my email but never saw any of them!

Met Shay Given's brother a few times on the trip, have a very funny story about that which I'll save for another time. Anyway, he sent an email home that got forwarded to me describing the early part of the night, I'll try and dig it out and post it up.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 10:40am
Subject: Suwon you boys in green!!!

Dear family, what a night. We cried our eyes out at the end. And within 2 hours were singing on stage with Damien Duff, Shay, Robbie Keane with the whole pub jumping. Long story. I'll try and write the whole episode beneath for Shay-Given.com and give youse a feeling of what it was like.

BearXX.

"Forget what you know. Replace all previous feelings of elation and disappintment. Last night, on a warm and floodlit night in Suwon, Korea, all my other previous football heart-stirrings were eclipsed by the greatest single perfromance by an Irish soccer side in history. That Shay once again was a legend throughout, only adds more to the sense of amazement that we were there.

As usual with all the World Cup games up until now, myself and Dad and Paul got to the ground early, so we could get 'OK SHAY' up in a prime slot. Shay had organsied for us to travel on an organised FAI coach with other player's families, but it wasn't leaving unitl 5.30pm, meaning in effect we wouldn't have been at the ground until close to 6.45pm. Too late. Instead, we took the metro with 6 other chums from Dublin (Chris Byrne + crew) and, bedecked with painted faces, inflatable leprechauns and anything else you care to think of that's green and gold, we got to Suwon for just after 5.30pm. Stared at all the way with incredulous faces by Koreans who, like the Japanese, had never seen anything quite like the Green army on tour.

'Go Irelando' is the chant we're been getting here in Korea. And to be fair to them they're as friendly as their Japanese co-hosts.

This time round, unlike the group games in Japan, the Irish fans were sited in pockets all around the stadium, meaning that there was no single en masse concentration. One big group behind each goal mouth and then scatterings all around teh satdium. It meant that because our numbers were diluted from the Japan games, singing en masse was more difficult. We were behind Shay's goal in the first half, high tier, nosebleed territory. Myself and Paul didn't see another Irish fan walk up the steep steps into our area until well after 7.30pm. And were delighted when they did. As it turns out, all of Stan (Steve) Staunton's family sat to our right. The family are the spit too. All game, when either Steve or Shay did anything special or a bit hairy, we would then turn and either nod to one another in approval or hiss through our teeth as if to Shay 'Our lad wouldn't normally do that you know.' David Staunton was who I mostly bantered with. And to be fair, I felt sorry for Stan (+ family) when the big lad was sub stituted early in the scond half. But it was certainly to do with his and Shay's clash (ironic isn't it, family doing battle in support high in the stands, the 2 brothers killing each other on the field). Later taht night, I was privvy to Shay and Stan laughing at each other about it. Stan said 'Jasus, you nearly put them 6 studs through me.' Shay threw back, 'Well, somebody was gonna get them, man.' Pair of characters.

Shay came out before the game, as always, and came over to where we had the flag. We could actually hear him when he shouted up asking where Dad was (outside having a beer with Chris + gang), and he then did this impression on the pitch of a drunk guy staggering around on the spot. It was the last laughing Paul and I did until much much later that night.

First half. The game was as nervous as I have ever been for any thing in my life. I kept clasping my hands tightly together white knuckling them, just to take some of the pressure out of my body. Praying for release from the anguish. In many ways their goal against us settled me, because I thought, well here we go again lads, underdogs and down on the evening. Nothing to lose now. Someone said to me last night that Ireland used to score early years ago and you'd be there heart attacking for 80 minutes saying 'Jasus, hold on lads'. Now we leave it until the dying minutes of a game before we score. The heart attacks are still there though. And I don't know which I prefer because my hair would be white with much more of this.

All throughout the game we would hear 'C'mon you boys in green' start far away to our left, but by the time the sound carried and we joined in, the fans there would be ahead of us, clapping hands or onto a new verse. We were spoiled by numbers in Niigata, Ibaraki and Yokohama, and also by the seat allocations over there, which I have to say in last night's case in Suwon, could've been done better.

Half time. Didn't move from the seat. Partly because I didn't need to join the hoards queing for a Charlie Nash, but moreso because I knew that what we were watching out there on that field was the writing and turning of history pages before our eyes. And I didn't want to miss a beat. I wasn't wrong.

Second half. Well youse all know what happened. My heart went out to Ian Harte with that penalty. How many of us could've stood up and taken it? Was buzzing for him (+ the country) when Robbie buried those skeltons with his spot-kick in the 88th. We celebrated so wildly when Duffer was brought down for ths first penalty that we just stood and held each other's sleeves when the second penaly was awarded. When it went in I thought my heart would burst with joy. I hugged and kissed every man-jack in the place.

The next half hour was the longest 30 minutes of my life. The clock up by the massive screen seemed to be stuck every time I looked up at it. The closer to 30 it got the more my mind was fearing the inevitable. The fact that we played the Spaniards off the pitch was the most frustrating thing.

Every time Duffer got the ball he weaved past them like ghosts and got the whole place to it's feet. I really believed we were going to win it on the field of play. I know the player's dod too. The Spaniards didn't know what had hit them and were time wasting with death-row desperation. In the end, after 2 whistles, we were eerily reminded of Genoa 12 years ago, with Shay replacing Packie as the guardian of our goal. And to be honest, I did not expect us to lose. I felt that this was the hour of Shay's calling and if any man could stop the Spaniards, he could. Of that, I am not wrong. But fate was not be on his side.

I shook hands with Dave Staunton and forced myself to watch. I'd alreday given the camcorder to this Korean guy behind us to tape the goalmouth because my hands were shaking like leaves. I put them behind my head and, elbows forward, prayed for the big lad.

The rest is history. It just wasn't meant to be for us. Or for Shay. But he is a legend in our eyes, and now I hope, the rest of the world.

When Shay, in his walk around the Irish fans at the end, came over to where we were and blew us kisses and waves, the emotion got too much. After he had walked down the tunnel, I tried to untie the flag from its moorings but could barely see my hands or the knots because of the tears blinding me. We had just welled up for him and knew that in his heart he was gutted. Knowing Shay he would also have been particulary annoyed with their last penalty, a scuffed attemot that took a cruel bounce over his legs. Now here's a thing you woudln't see happen at Landsdowne, our famous . . erm . . Irish soccer stadium. Once I had untied the flag and stood up again preparing to leave, a Korean official beside me was in tears too. Saddened by seeing our tears. Amazing. I shook his hand and thanked him. Then we turned our backs on Suwon, never to see it again except for video footage and documentaries.

In a short speech given afterwards in the 2nd floor of the Westin Chosin Hotel, where a reception dinner had been laid on for the lads, the new Minister for Sport summed it up very well. I'm paraphrasing here, but his words were that all across Ireland there were young boys glued to their television sets tonight, watching their heroes in Suwon, and although it might take 10 years from now, some of them too would make this elite select, and try and emultate what was tonight, the single most gallant and brave performace by an Irish team ever. We stood and applauded.

Michael Flatley was in attendance and so, without shame, I got him to sign a napkin for Elaine. Thanking him afterwards he said, 'No thank you, it was real nice of you to ask.' A true gentleman. Got one signed for Kells (Alan Kelly) too and have determined that I'll always remind him of it. Also heard that U2 had sent a message of good luck to the team before the game. The message on it was 'The Quinn is dead. Long live the Quinn'. Legends.

We walked down with the team into the bart of the Westin Chosin where they got the deserved heroes welcome. I think the lads began to settle a bit after this when they realised just what they'd achieved overall. We then all headed to this Irish Bar called Buck Mulligans. The place was so hot you'd have been inconspicous in a towel and flip-flops. But the craic was mighty. We weren't in there 1/2 an hour when Kells got on the drumns (the lad can play) and Robbie Keane, Shay, Duffer and Mattie Holland all sang songs. I don't think the Irish crowd could believe their eyes. Can you imagine the English players doing the same? It felt liek a fitting thanjk-you to the support who had come so far.

At one point, just after the boys had finished a Westlife tune, Kells started to drum the into for U2's 'Bloody Sunday'. He called to me 'C'mon Liam' and so I grabbed a mike and started to sing the guitar bit: 'Ner Ner Ner Ner, Ner Ner Ner Ner . . .' etc. The whole place got it. And joined in. I can't believe the news today. I can't close my eyes and make it go away.

I said to Mark Kinsella earlier that these moments, when you've left your camera in the hotel, are like running out of film just as the Loch Ness monster surfaces or a Yeti walks by. But believe me. This happened.

Next thing you know, Shay has swapped his shirt for Austin Daly's Dun Na nGall GAA shirt and he's kissing the crest, standing on top of a table. The place went buck mad. Shay was sweating so hard (he would sweat like a recehorse at the best of times) that the droplets of sweat were tumbling out of the sleeves of the Donegal top. I had to move my lager a couple of times.

We had an amazing night with the team and the fans. And one that I'll never forget. And I think left us all walking away from the evening with happiness in our hearts over the incaulable success of this team in World Cup Korea/Japan 2002, rather than some disappoinemt on the evening that I'm sure the whole country has alreday put behind them. A heroes welcome awaits on the Emerald Isle."
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 11:00am
Great read that, D69er
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
Junior View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 11:18am
Thanks D69 - Brilliant read that from Shays brother. Really brings the memories of that night back.

We had got the boat across from Japan to Korea and I think only arrived the day before the game, so didn't really have our bearings of the city. I'm not sure whether it was Buck Mulligans (I certainly don't remember thinking it was an Irish pub) or whether we were actually on Hooker Hill (sounds more likely to be honest!Smile) all I remember is that we were pretty much the only ones in there, when the boys all arrived...very quickly followed by flocks of Irish.....So on reading your post and the email above...I'm guessing it was the latter.

Quinn was the first one in and we were chatting to him for 5 or 10 minutes before the rest of the team started to pour in. Having played with Man City, Quinner knew (and had often frequented) many of the Irish pubs and clubs in Manchester, so it was great chewing the fat with him - He's always been a gent whenever I've met him and that night was no different.

As Shays brothers says, the lads were certainly on form, all up on tables, Gary Kelly was orchestrating a few sing songs. Dunner was wearing a Korean 'We are the Reds' T-Shirt which was like a tattoo it was that tight on him!!!

I'm gonna have to dig out some pics and post them up
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 11:38am

Thanks D69 - Brilliant read that from Shays brother. Really brings the memories of that night back.

We had got the boat across from Japan to Korea and I think only arrived the day before the game, so didn't really have our bearings of the city. I'm not sure whether it was Buck Mulligans (I certainly don't remember thinking it was an Irish pub) or whether we were actually on Hooker Hill (sounds more likely to be honest!Smile) all I remember is that we were pretty much the only ones in there, when the boys all arrived...very quickly followed by flocks of Irish.....So on reading your post and the email above...I'm guessing it was the latter.

Quinn was the first one in and we were chatting to him for 5 or 10 minutes before the rest of the team started to pour in. Having played with Man City, Quinner knew (and had often frequented) many of the Irish pubs and clubs in Manchester, so it was great chewing the fat with him - He's always been a gent whenever I've met him and that night was no different.

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">As Shays brothers says, the lads were certainly on form, all up on tables, Gary Kelly was orchestrating a few sing songs. Dunner was wearing a Korean 'We are the Reds' T-Shirt which was like a tattoo it was that tight on him!!!</span>

<span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">I'm gonna have to dig out some pics and post them up</span>

Sounds like it was later in the night or morning alright! The T shirt said 'Be the Reds!', they were everywhere, still have one at home. Kelly was a legend that night to be fair as was Quinn, absolute gents. I have a pic at home of me and Shay up on a table in Buck Mulligans singing and a couple with Staunton, Quinn and Alan Kelly but would love to see the ones other lads took of me with the rest, very unlikely I will though!
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 11:50am
I think I know the pub you are talking about junior. I think there was a pool table just outside it (or just inside the door). It was on the right as you go up hooker hill. We were in team hotel and Buck Mulligans and had got a taxi after that and jumped out when spotted Stan and Gary Kelly iirc on the street.

From memory Quinner had on 3/4 lengths (possibly bermuda's) and we had a good rendition of Niall quints disco pants.

After that pub everyone wen to a bar up the top of the hill on the left hand side where we drank to the morning again with the team (no idea of its name). In our round at one point were Dunner and a polluted Mark Kinsella who said he would stab Roy Keane the next time he saw him!!!

At one point I thought I had convinced Quinn to stay on for one more campaign but he kept telling me that we would be fine as his replacement was ready to step in.... Richie Saddlier! I sh*t you not!!

My camera disappeared in Yokohama so have no photos at all from then on.

Anyone with snaps it'd be great if could post them.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
Junior View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Sounds like it was later in the night or morning alright! The T shirt said 'Be the Reds!', they were everywhere, still have one at home. Kelly was a legend that night to be fair as was Quinn, absolute gents. I have a pic at home of me and Shay up on a table in Buck Mulligans singing and a couple with Staunton, Quinn and Alan Kelly but would love to see the ones other lads took of me with the rest, very unlikely I will though!

Well unless it was me or one of my gang that you askedSmile??

Yeah, now I think about it a bit more, it was a bit of seedy area alright! and the pub was on a bit of a hill - haha... there is the clue - definitely must have been hooker hill - never even heard of that place till these posts but its the sleezy type of joints that the degenerates I knock about with like to head for! well its more a case of auto pilot I think

4 of us travelled over, and one of the lads was wrecked tired after the game and the 2 1/2 week session we had had at that stage and said he was going to call it a night. The other 3 of us stayed out and 15 minutes later in walks the team.....He still can't believe that was the one night that anyone went home early and he missed all the craic with the team.SmileSmile
Junior View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

I think I know the pub you are talking about junior. I think there was a pool table just outside it (or just inside the door). It was on the right as you go up hooker hill. We were in team hotel and Buck Mulligans and had got a taxi after that and jumped out when spotted Stan and Gary Kelly iirc on the street.

From memory Quinner had on 3/4 lengths (possibly bermuda's) and we had a good rendition of Niall quints disco pants.

After that pub everyone wen to a bar up the top of the hill on the left hand side where we drank to the morning again with the team (no idea of its name). In our round at one point were Dunner and a polluted Mark Kinsella who said he would stab Roy Keane the next time he saw him!!!

At one point I thought I had convinced Quinn to stay on for one more campaign but he kept telling me that we would be fine as his replacement was ready to step in.... Richie Saddlier! I sh*t you not!!

Yep definitely sounds like you were in the exact same spot as us!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 12:36pm

That was definitely it, pool table was just inside the door.

After the pub at the top a few of us went down the hill and ended up in some first floor restaurant that was serving drink. The last 4 to leave were Quinn, Kelly, Dunne and Kinsella. Kinsella was absolutely polluted as you say. He was sitting in a corner with one of the lads playing some drinking game where the forfeit involved taking off an item of clothing. Bit odd as there were no birds present but that's what it was. Anyway, I'm at the table with Kelly and Quinn and Dunne is wandering around. Next thing Dunne comes over and says "C'mon lads, we better get Mark out of hete'. I look around and Kinsella has just lost the last round of the game and stumbles over to the huge plate glass window in his jocks which he proceeds to drop leaving himself standing there at the window with the banger hanging out and his jocks round his ankles!

So they head off but before they go Kelly puts his hand in his pocket, throws a load of notes of the table and says 'Have another couple on us, lads'. Nice touch, he didn't have to do it. I stumbled back to where I was staying 30 mins later and stayed in bed till the following morning, had been out since before noon the previous day so had been on it for about 27 hours by then. Went out the Tuesday and heard that the players had been back around Hooker Hill around 6 on the Monday evening which was less than 4 hours after they left us, was gutted to miss round 2 but no way could I have made it. Most of them were slaughtered that night but Quinn and Kelly had some stamina for the drink, not a bother on either of them. One other thing I remember was that Duff was too gutted to go out and just went to bed after the team's post game meal. Always loved his leaba that fella!

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 25 Jun 2015 at 12:37pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 12:39pm

Well unless it was me or one of my gang that you askedSmile??

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Yeah, now I think about it a bit more, it was a bit of seedy area alright! and the pub was on a bit of a hill - haha... there is the clue - definitely must have been hooker hill - never even heard of that place till these posts but its the sleezy type of joints that the degenerates I knock about with like to head for! well its more a case of auto pilot I think</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">4 of us travelled over, and one of the lads was wrecked tired after the game and the 2 1/2 week session we had had at that stage and said he was going to call it a night. The other 3 of us stayed out and 15 minutes later in walks the team.....He still can't believe that was the one night that anyone went home early and he missed all the craic with the team.SmileSmile</span>

Same thing happened a lad I know, his initials weren't DC by any chance? Although he went back to ring a bird he was trying to mooch back home and then fell asleep....
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 1:23pm

After the pub at the top a few of us went down the hill and ended up in some first floor restaurant that was serving drink. The last 4 to leave were Quinn, Kelly, Dunne and Kinsella. Kinsella was absolutely polluted as you say. He was sitting in a corner with one of the lads playing some drinking game where the forfeit involved taking off an item of clothing. Bit odd as there were no birds present but that's what it was. Anyway, I'm at the table with Kelly and Quinn and Dunne is wandering around. Next thing Dunne comes over and says "C'mon lads, we better get Mark out of hete'. I look around and Kinsella has just lost the last round of the game and stumbles over to the huge plate glass window in his jocks which he proceeds to drop leaving himself standing there at the window with the banger hanging out and his jocks round his ankles!

So they head off but before they go Kelly puts his hand in his pocket, throws a load of notes of the table and says 'Have another couple on us, lads'. Nice touch, he didn't have to do it. I stumbled back to where I was staying 30 mins later and stayed in bed till the following morning, had been out since before noon the previous day so had been on it for about 27 hours by then. Went out the Tuesday and heard that the players had been back around Hooker Hill around 6 on the Monday evening which was less than 4 hours after they left us, was gutted to miss round 2 but no way could I have made it. Most of them were slaughtered that night but Quinn and Kelly had some stamina for the drink, not a bother on either of them. One other thing I remember was that Duff was too gutted to go out and just went to bed after the team's post game meal. Always loved his leaba that fella!
Ah God, just as well the likes of Facebook, Twitter and smartphones weren't about back then, the tabloids would have had a field day LOL
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 1:39pm
Gecko's Bar some Craic had there .
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 2:05pm

We left the pub 30 minutes before the players arrived.  Gutted when we heard it.  Gary Breen apparently sang "we all dream of a team of Gary Breens"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Ah God, just as well the likes of Facebook, Twitter and smartphones weren't about back then, the tabloids would have had a field day LOL

Just as well it was on the first floor and not the ground floor, it was 2.30 in the afternoon on a Monday! Not sure how the locals would have reacted!

Funny thing about the camera phones, European mobiles wouldn't work over there even on roaming as they were on a more advanced network than us. You could rent phones and some people did but we didn't bother so you had to make proper arrangements with people. Anyway, before the Germany game we were up in the fan zone as there were no boozers in the area, it was the middle of nowhere. Usual things going on with lads getting the flags out and asking other fans to take pictures and passing their cameras to them. I'm walking up to the bar and an Irish lad stops me and asks will I take a picture of him and his mates with their flag. I says of course and next thing he hands me his rented phone! I ask "What the fcuk do you want me to do with this, phone it in?" "No" he says, "You won't believe this, there's a camera on the phone!!". Seems ridiculous now but we were gobsmacked at the time! If you think back, our phone screens were still generally green with black text back then. Fcuk knows where their technology is at now!
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 3:05pm

Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Just as well it was on the first floor and not the ground floor, it was 2.30 in the afternoon on a Monday! Not sure how the locals would have reacted!

Funny thing about the camera phones, European mobiles wouldn't work over there even on roaming as they were on a more advanced network than us. You could rent phones and some people did but we didn't bother so you had to make proper arrangements with people. Anyway, before the Germany game we were up in the fan zone as there were no boozers in the area, it was the middle of nowhere. Usual things going on with lads getting the flags out and asking other fans to take pictures and passing their cameras to them. I'm walking up to the bar and an Irish lad stops me and asks will I take a picture of him and his mates with their flag. I says of course and next thing he hands me his rented phone! I ask "What the fcuk do you want me to do with this, phone it in?" "No" he says, "You won't believe this, there's a camera on the phone!!". Seems ridiculous now but we were gobsmacked at the time! If you think back, our phone screens were still generally green with black text back then. Fcuk knows where their technology is at now!
Broad daylight!? God, that's worse! I'd say anyone in the building across the street would have had some view... Shocked.

Yeah, I remember having one of those bricks with the green screens around that time, the only other real  'app' I remember them having was a game called Snake LOL

As you say tho, God knows what sort of yokes they've got over there nowadays, probably make our smartphones look antiquated Cry
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic