You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone in Italy, 1990?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyronebhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by Lapira Masterclass Lapira Masterclass wrote:

Just stumbled on this thread.  Here is my Italia 90 story.

I was 18 and working as a road sweeper in London for the summer.  The day before the game against England I was sweeping near Bond Street and saw a flight advertised from Stanstead to Catania in Sicily in a travel agent for 90 Pounds return.  I decided there and then that this was my opportunity to possibly attend the big party in Italy.  I ran to a cash machine, took 100 pounds out and booked the only available flight which was leaving at 5.30am in 2 days time.  I told my employer my father had won tickets to the world cup and had invited me.  He allowed me take the 2 weeks off.  I was on my way.  I spent the next night in Stanstead airport as the flight was too early for me to get there at 5.30am the next morning.  I was already knackered even boarding the flight.  There was another direct flight going straight to Palermo at the same time and the Ryanair agent allowed me change the flight last minute for free.  
Arriving in Palermo I followed everyone to the beautiful town of Cefalu.  There was a campsite near the beach, and that is where I would be stationed.  I also snagged tickets for the Egypt and Holland games at face value in the town square in Palermo.  I was getting so lucky with everything.
Now I had to survive on a budget of 15 pounds a day for 2 weeks.  I even allowed an Aston Villa fan who was living in London at the time to share my tiny one man tent as long as he paid for half the campsite fee.  I was in heaven.  I would walk to the village every night to watch the games on the big screen.  The atmosphere has fantastic every night.  I found a cafe that served big plates of pasta for 5 pounds.  I would eat there every night and survive on fruit in the afternoons.  This even allowed me to buy a few cans of beer from the store so I was set.  
I attended the Egypt game and partied hard in the campsite that night with a bunch of Dutch supporters who had taken me under their wing.  
Next came the game against Holland.  This was now really exciting.  I left the campsite early as I was hearing of a possible rail strike.  Half way to Palermo the train was stopped.  Hundreds of Irish fans streamed out of the carriages in panic.  The train wasn't going anywhere.  I headed for the freeway.  I saw a group of Irish supporters chasing a car that had slowed.  I joined them and then found myself racing towards Palermo with 45 mins before kick-off.  I'm forever grateful to the young Sicilian who picked me up that afternoon.  My Italia 90 memories may have been so different if I had missed the Holland game.  I still reflect on the faces on many supporters who may have missed the game, stuck at the side of freeway 30 miles outside Palermo.  My luck was still with me.
On arriving at the stadium I was blown away at the thousands of supporters outside the stadium without tickets.  When I got inside just after the anthems I realised I was sitting in the middle of a massive band of orange clad Dutch fans.  There I was with my Penny's Italia 90 shirt and shaky shamrock, but the Dutch were my friends and I knew all their songs.  Now I really felt I was at the world cup.  I was deflated after the Egypt game, and I imagined my friends back in Dublin and London laughing at me.  Now things were different.  Quinn had equalized.  The Dutch didn't seem to mind.  We were both going through to the next round.  
I got back to the campsite exhausted but happy that night.  Waking up the next morning it dawned on me that I would be unable to attend the Romania game and was stuck in Cefalu for another week.  Everyone streamed out of the campsite the next morning.  The next 6 days my main worry was running out of money.  My budget was down to 10 pounds a day.  I also realised I hadn't paid the campsite fee.  All I could do now was eat fruit, swim and watch the games in the town each night.  I was ready to leave.  I watched the Romania game with two remaining Irishmen who were also left stranded in Cefalu.  The next morning I was headed back to Stanstead.  I came clean with the campsite and told them I had run out money.  I'm forever guilty about this as I promised to mail them money when i got back to London.  I never did.  
My flight was at 6am the next day.  I would have to spend the night in the airport again as I couldn't get there that early.  I actually set my tent up behind a billboard in the Palermo airport car park and slept soundly that night.  I woke up starving.  I had completely run out of money, and was just eating bananas all week.  I couldn't wait to get on the plane as they served meals.  This I think is the only time in my life I experienced true hunger, but it was all worth it.  I had done Italia 90 on the cheap.  I returned to London malnourished and sunburnt.  The next day I was back sweeping Bond Street.  
I haven't been to Italy since, but I'd love to revisit Cefalu.  If that campsite still exists I want to tell them my story, and maybe buy them a good wine.   I had gotten lucky on my adventure, the cheap last minute flight, tickets upon arrival in Palermo, the campsite being so forgiving, the street vendor selling cheap fruit, even the Ryanair official allowing me change flight for free last minute.
Anyway, reading this blog is bringing back great memories from almost 30 years ago.  I still have the ticket stubs and a blurry collection of photos from my one disposable camera which I'll dig out and post shortly.  
Now lets go and beat Denmark next week and maybe i'll find a last minute flight to Saint Petersburg and the adventure can continue.

Ryanair let you change your flight for FREE? Shocked Great story though LOL
Northmen, Southmen, Comrades All
Sponsored Links

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 11:22pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by schillaci schillaci wrote:

Originally posted by Lapira Masterclass Lapira Masterclass wrote:

Just stumbled on this thread.  Here is my Italia 90 story.

I was 18 and working as a road sweeper in London for the summer.  The day before the game against England I was sweeping near Bond Street and saw a flight advertised from Stanstead to Catania in Sicily in a travel agent for 90 Pounds return.  I decided there and then that this was my opportunity to possibly attend the big party in Italy.  I ran to a cash machine, took 100 pounds out and booked the only available flight which was leaving at 5.30am in 2 days time.  I told my employer my father had won tickets to the world cup and had invited me.  He allowed me take the 2 weeks off.  I was on my way.  I spent the next night in Stanstead airport as the flight was too early for me to get there at 5.30am the next morning.  I was already knackered even boarding the flight.  There was another direct flight going straight to Palermo at the same time and the Ryanair agent allowed me change the flight last minute for free.  
Arriving in Palermo I followed everyone to the beautiful town of Cefalu.  There was a campsite near the beach, and that is where I would be stationed.  I also snagged tickets for the Egypt and Holland games at face value in the town square in Palermo.  I was getting so lucky with everything.
Now I had to survive on a budget of 15 pounds a day for 2 weeks.  I even allowed an Aston Villa fan who was living in London at the time to share my tiny one man tent as long as he paid for half the campsite fee.  I was in heaven.  I would walk to the village every night to watch the games on the big screen.  The atmosphere has fantastic every night.  I found a cafe that served big plates of pasta for 5 pounds.  I would eat there every night and survive on fruit in the afternoons.  This even allowed me to buy a few cans of beer from the store so I was set.  
I attended the Egypt game and partied hard in the campsite that night with a bunch of Dutch supporters who had taken me under their wing.  
Next came the game against Holland.  This was now really exciting.  I left the campsite early as I was hearing of a possible rail strike.  Half way to Palermo the train was stopped.  Hundreds of Irish fans streamed out of the carriages in panic.  The train wasn't going anywhere.  I headed for the freeway.  I saw a group of Irish supporters chasing a car that had slowed.  I joined them and then found myself racing towards Palermo with 45 mins before kick-off.  I'm forever grateful to the young Sicilian who picked me up that afternoon.  My Italia 90 memories may have been so different if I had missed the Holland game.  I still reflect on the faces on many supporters who may have missed the game, stuck at the side of freeway 30 miles outside Palermo.  My luck was still with me.
On arriving at the stadium I was blown away at the thousands of supporters outside the stadium without tickets.  When I got inside just after the anthems I realised I was sitting in the middle of a massive band of orange clad Dutch fans.  There I was with my Penny's Italia 90 shirt and shaky shamrock, but the Dutch were my friends and I knew all their songs.  Now I really felt I was at the world cup.  I was deflated after the Egypt game, and I imagined my friends back in Dublin and London laughing at me.  Now things were different.  Quinn had equalized.  The Dutch didn't seem to mind.  We were both going through to the next round.  
I got back to the campsite exhausted but happy that night.  Waking up the next morning it dawned on me that I would be unable to attend the Romania game and was stuck in Cefalu for another week.  Everyone streamed out of the campsite the next morning.  The next 6 days my main worry was running out of money.  My budget was down to 10 pounds a day.  I also realised I hadn't paid the campsite fee.  All I could do now was eat fruit, swim and watch the games in the town each night.  I was ready to leave.  I watched the Romania game with two remaining Irishmen who were also left stranded in Cefalu.  The next morning I was headed back to Stanstead.  I came clean with the campsite and told them I had run out money.  I'm forever guilty about this as I promised to mail them money when i got back to London.  I never did.  
My flight was at 6am the next day.  I would have to spend the night in the airport again as I couldn't get there that early.  I actually set my tent up behind a billboard in the Palermo airport car park and slept soundly that night.  I woke up starving.  I had completely run out of money, and was just eating bananas all week.  I couldn't wait to get on the plane as they served meals.  This I think is the only time in my life I experienced true hunger, but it was all worth it.  I had done Italia 90 on the cheap.  I returned to London malnourished and sunburnt.  The next day I was back sweeping Bond Street.  
I haven't been to Italy since, but I'd love to revisit Cefalu.  If that campsite still exists I want to tell them my story, and maybe buy them a good wine.   I had gotten lucky on my adventure, the cheap last minute flight, tickets upon arrival in Palermo, the campsite being so forgiving, the street vendor selling cheap fruit, even the Ryanair official allowing me change flight for free last minute.
Anyway, reading this blog is bringing back great memories from almost 30 years ago.  I still have the ticket stubs and a blurry collection of photos from my one disposable camera which I'll dig out and post shortly.  
Now lets go and beat Denmark next week and maybe i'll find a last minute flight to Saint Petersburg and the adventure can continue.

LOL   Thats a cracking tale. You just have to go and do it. A few of my pals dropped out after we were drawn on the islands and the costs went up by a couple of hundred quid. They all have big gaffs and jobs now but they all regret not pushing the boat out back then.

You cant buy memories back. Just do it and worry later.  

Yeah, few of us planned to go but being straight out of college the extra couple of hundred quid put it out of reach. Went off to London to find work and that was nearly two weeks wages. Watched the games in McGoverns in Kilburn. Always regretted not pushing the boat out!

Cracking story, Lapira!

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 02 Nov 2017 at 11:23pm
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Lapira Masterclass View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lapira Masterclass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 2:12am
Some photos here of my adventures in Palermo and Cefalu in 1990.  

https://www.instagram.com/garyjacksonsf/

Edited by Lapira Masterclass - 03 Nov 2017 at 2:13am
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 8:05am
Class
teevo View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 8:42am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

https://youtu.be/1xWpWjdkybc

6:22 In that video. Packie going through the Italian paper with the team liaison officer says we'll beat them in the next world cup! .6:15

Edited by teevo - 03 Nov 2017 at 8:44am
Fanny MaGee View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fanny MaGee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 8:44am
I was there, I was 16 at the time. We went overland with Funtrek for £995. All travel, 3 weeks accommodation, match tickets and transfers were included. Took us 2 days to get there, stayed in Paestum in southern Italy. Took us 18 hours to get from there to Sardinia for the England match. The trips to Palermo took about 9 or 10 hours. I got so badly burnt the day before the Egypt game (proper sunstroke with puking, diarrhoea, the lot) that I broke down in tears with the pain just before full time, some geezer tried to comfort me by putting his hand on my sunburnt shoulder thinking I was crying over the game "It's alright son, we can get this back". Not proud of my reaction. We almost missed the Holland game due to striking Fiat workers blocking the train lines in Sicily. Stayed up to the Romania game and I was so exhausted from all the overnight ferries and trains that I literally slept for the entire month of July when I got back. Never again.
Ask MaGee
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 9:01am
Originally posted by Fanny MaGee Fanny MaGee wrote:

I was there, I was 16 at the time. We went overland with Funtrek for £995. All travel, 3 weeks accommodation, match tickets and transfers were included. Took
us 2 days to get there, stayed in Paestum in southern Italy. Took us 18
hours to get from there to Sardinia for the England match. The trips to
Palermo took about 9 or 10 hours. I got so badly burnt the day before
the Egypt game (proper sunstroke with puking, diarrhoea, the lot) that I
broke down in tears with the pain just before full time, some geezer
tried to comfort me by putting his hand on my sunburnt shoulder thinking
I was crying over the game "It's alright son, we can get this back". Not proud of my reaction. We almost missed the Holland game due to striking Fiat workers blocking the train lines in Sicily. Stayed up to the Romania game and I was so exhausted from all the overnight ferries and trains that I literally slept for the entire month of July when I got back. Never again.

Never again?? That sounds brilliant apart from the sunstroke!#
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 9:12am

I was there, I was 16 at the time. We went overland with Funtrek for £995. All travel, 3 weeks accommodation, match tickets and transfers were included. Took us 2 days to get there, stayed in Paestum in southern Italy. Took us 18 hours to get from there to Sardinia for the England match. The trips to Palermo took about 9 or 10 hours. I got so badly burnt the day before the Egypt game (proper sunstroke with puking, diarrhoea, the lot) that I broke down in tears with the pain just before full time, some geezer tried to comfort me by putting his hand on my sunburnt shoulder thinking I was crying over the game "It's alright son, we can get this back". Not proud of my reaction. We almost missed the Holland game due to striking Fiat workers blocking the train lines in Sicily. Stayed up to the Romania game and I was so exhausted from all the overnight ferries and trains that I literally slept for the entire month of July when I got back. Never again.

Did you sh!t yourself?
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 9:15am
Wrote this blog in 2015 for the 25th anniversary of Italia 90, my memories of that time.

We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 9:18am

Never again. Love it LOL
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 9:19am
Great story Lapira Masterclass but can't help but thinking how many of the little details have been exaggerated over the past 27 years LOL

Fanny MaGee View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fanny MaGee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 9:20am
Never again as in trains, ferries and coaches! Alright if you're a kid but it'd literally kill me if I did something like that again. Another thing, I put nothing but pizza and beer into my body for 3 weeks and somehow lost weight. If I was to do that now I'd double in size.
Ask MaGee
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 9:29am

Never again as in trains, ferries and coaches! Alright if you're a kid but it'd literally kill me if I did something like that again. Another thing, I put nothing but pizza and beer into my body for 3 weeks and somehow lost weight. If I was to do that now I'd double in size.

That may have been the diorreha from the sunstroke, in fairness!
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
ragga View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 11:05pm
For those wondering if I pulled at Italia 90, I can categorically say that I didn't.  I was a skinny awkward 18 year old.  4 years later at the 1994 World Cup in the USA was a different story altogether.  I'd filled out a bit, was now 22 and had that extra bit of confidence and courage.  Maybe it was something to do with the sweltering heat, the noon kickoff times and plenty of hot suburban American girls all drinking ice cold beer in the sun before and after the games.  Some had never met an Irish person before, so all the stars were aligned at that world cup for a young Ireland fan to sow his oats with several open-minded and slightly tipsy blonde American beauties.
I'm already looking forward to the 2026 World Cup in the Americas.  The Qatar decision saddens me greatly.  I can't see many fans traveling in the winter knowing that prices will be steep, beer won't be plentiful and you'll probably get life behind bars for dropping the hand on a local Quatari lady.
Oh well! Roll on 2026...
schillaci View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
I love Scott HULK Hogan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schillaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 7:40am
Originally posted by ragga ragga wrote:

For those wondering if I pulled at Italia 90, I can categorically say that I didn't.  I was a skinny awkward 18 year old.  4 years later at the 1994 World Cup in the USA was a different story altogether.  I'd filled out a bit, was now 22 and had that extra bit of confidence and courage.  Maybe it was something to do with the sweltering heat, the noon kickoff times and plenty of hot suburban American girls all drinking ice cold beer in the sun before and after the games.  Some had never met an Irish person before, so all the stars were aligned at that world cup for a young Ireland fan to sow his oats with several open-minded and slightly tipsy blonde American beauties.
I'm already looking forward to the 2026 World Cup in the Americas.  The Qatar decision saddens me greatly.  I can't see many fans traveling in the winter knowing that prices will be steep, beer won't be plentiful and you'll probably get life behind bars for dropping the hand on a local Quatari lady.
Oh well! Roll on 2026...

When you will be a fat awkward 54 year old. You wont be dropping the hand on any local birds unless we are playing in Las Vegas and you are paying for it LOL

Edited by schillaci - 05 Jan 2019 at 7:41am
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 3:25pm
Ahhhhhhhhh yes those were the days . 
Still hope to have many more with you lot Heart
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 5:15pm
6 weeks in Italia 90 with small bag with pair jocks Speedos socks and couple million euros. Some memory 🇮🇪🇮🇹🇮🇪
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic