You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The New Apple Watch and the likes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The New Apple Watch and the likes
    Posted: 28 May 2015 at 3:06pm
Question .
One of the lads at work has got one of these new things for a want of a better word and he kind of thinks that you can use it while driving Wacko . Now he said it's not a hands held device so it's fine .
I think think he is nuts , could he be anyway right in what he says ?
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 3:33pm
[IMG][/IMG]
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?
Fitzinho View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitzinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 3:36pm
Inspector Gadget was never pulled over for using his watch Smile

Technically I don't see much difference between an Apple Watch being the mic and speaker for a call than the car stereo is, having said that I'm sure the cops would ticket you if you were caught.

Don't see how anyone would know you're taking the call on your watch however, I'm assuming you can keep your hands on the wheel and don't need to hold the watch closer to your head to have the call.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 3:48pm
There are two distinct offences. The first one concerns texting:

"A person shall not while driving a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place—
(a) send a text message, or
(b) read a text message,
from a mobile phone."

In those regulations:

"'read a text message' includes access or open a text message (other than by voice-activation) so that it can be read;
'send a text message' includes compose and type a text message, but does not include anything done without touching the mobile phone;"

The second offence that you ought to be concerned about is this one:

"A person shall not while driving a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place hold a mobile phone."

I doubt using an apple watch would be covered by either of those. I don't think you can go so far as to call it a mobile phone. The definition of phone is:

"'mobile phone' means a portable communication device, other than a two-way radio, with which a person is capable of making or receiving a call or performing an interactive communication function, but ... does not include a hands-free device"

You could argue that the apple watch is capable of performing an interactive communication function but it cannot do that independently of the phone, so maybe not. It's arguable either way, really, although I would say it is capable of counting as part of the phone. Once he's not texting, he's probably okay.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 4:29pm
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 2:08am
http://www.tagheuerconnected.com

The Apple watch has a quite unexpected challenger, this looks a serious piece of kit looks the part too!
ewerk View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewerk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 5:48pm
At £1100 I'd hope so.
Portal View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane
Mr. Paranoid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Portal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

http://www.tagheuerconnected.com

The Apple watch has a quite unexpected challenger, this looks a serious piece of kit looks the part too!

I had a look at it but it doesn't really match the interior of my AMG S65
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic