You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Running

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 22>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Beach sounds like a plan actually, didn't think of that!

Don't bother with the runners on the beach if the sand is soft.
Chips don't bounce
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 10:43am
Shin splints are the work of the devil. I had them or 2 years and had to rest for that time. Just try do less and stop before you feel the pain.
Run on soft grass or sand.
Get proper runners.
Get Gait Analysis in Elvery's - I think it's free.
Strengthen your calm muscles using a towell - google the exercises.
Stretch your calf muscles every day for long periods - 60 seconds and then do some strengthen exercises too.

The key is manage shin splints by not over doing it.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 12:57pm
Completed the 23km triathlon I was (sort of) training for in last few weeks in 1 hour 26 minutes which I'm happy with for a first attempt. Nailed the running sections, keeping my 22 minute 5k time average. Smile There was another 2k after a kayak section and that was tough going but once I got myself into a rhythm it wasn't bad at all.
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 1:48pm
Thanks horsebox, I appreciate all the advise. Just off for a trot now.

Fair play Bo👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 slab of beer and a greasy snack box to celebrate?
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 1:49pm
Do 5k on treadmill with 1.0% incline, just about manage it in under 30 mins. 
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

whitesideOnside View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitesideOnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 12:27am
I often wonder why so many runners become consumed with distance. There's a near epidemic of people who have taken up running and their great aim is to run a marathon. I do some running but keep to less than 10k and try to improve the times. Unless you are a proper athlete, doing serious training and strectching, a marathon will damage your body and cause you to become slower.
My aim this summer is to run a 5k in under 20 minutes.
Anyway, each to their own I guess,
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 12:31am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Thanks horsebox, I appreciate all the advise. Just off for a trot now.

Fair play Bo👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 slab of beer and a greasy snack box to celebrate?

copious amounts of alcohol were consumed with fast food to soak it up on saturday! LOL
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 9:20am
Still aiming to do this half marathon in September, there's a 10mile race in August in the park which will be a decent indicator whether I will be up to this or not. I recently started running on grass and the difference it has made to my right foot has been massive, no longer running on concrete the impact was absolutely killing me. Off out for 12k in a few, lovely morning for it

Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 1:30pm
8.5k Saturday 7k Sunday and 10k last night, not quite good enough for half marathon but hoping I can manage the 10mile race on 22nd August, although the thoughts of running on concrete really is putting me off. Anyone else on here training for marathon or half even?

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 1:35pm
The thread-mill is the only place I can really do long distance running on tbh.

I've hamstring tendonitis and a metal rod holding my left leg together so hard ground is a no-no and the soft ground is a nightmare for my hamstrings.

Edited by Green Devil - 16 Jul 2015 at 1:35pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 1:37pm
Would you not find the treadmill very boring GD? Never knew how many niggles you could pick up running it's a right pain in the hoop!

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

Would you not find the treadmill very boring GD? Never knew how many niggles you could pick up running it's a right pain in the hoop!

It's not overly exciting but it has its advantages, I'd have the towel beside me, a water bottle, no fear of getting drenched from the rain etc.

Ah stop, shin splints are a curse mate! Take plenty of hot baths with radox muscle soak its a life saver. Also get yourself a foam roller if you don't have one.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 3:39pm
Good advice, GD. Also, get some epsom salts from the chemist and lob them in with the radox.
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
JohnnyD87 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyD87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 4:24pm

8.5k Saturday 7k Sunday and 10k last night, not quite good enough for half marathon but hoping I can manage the 10mile race on 22nd August, although the thoughts of running on concrete really is putting me off. Anyone else on here training for marathon or half even?

Hav an ultra end of august, if your doin that trainin above on a weekly basis n maybe a day or two of hiit trainin you'd have no issues with a half marathon come the 22nd august
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 6:00pm
That's the thing Johnny I'm not really doing anything else at the minute other than the running, need to sort it out and get into some classes maybe.

@GD and H2H thanks for the advice I have noted this and intend to use it!

JohnnyD87 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyD87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 6:57pm

That's the thing Johnny I'm not really doing anything else at the minute other than the running, need to sort it out and get into some classes maybe.

@GD and H2H thanks for the advice I have noted this and intend to use it!

If poss try get a few hours a week out cycling, gd for improvin performance ova distances like 5k, 10k, half marathon, also gd if ya can do some swimmin, beneficial say after doin a 10k (on your rest days).
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 7:01pm
Cheers Johnny appreciate the help
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 7:34pm
Johnny is spot on Sono....variety is key as well as changing distance for pace ...the body and brain get complacent....I run 5k fast or slower 10k 3 or 4 times a week.... and my walking will be a long steady 30-40 miles then next weekend a shorter faster walk of only 20 miles
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 22>
  Share Topic