You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Running

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 19202122>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 3:07pm
Yeah if you are doing lots of running you need to be stretching and building up core muscles- squats, jumps etc 

Get a form roller and use it daily. 

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

shin splints are my biggest bug bear. i ran 1000km between march and december. gave it 6 weeks rest at start of the year to see if i could heal the issue. ever since i've only been running 20 to 25k a week. i can feel them again, especially after the 10k's. anyone got any advice? tried various stretches having read stuff on google but alas things are only marginally better. 

It's most likely down to the bio-mechanics of your feet. If you have any pronation then you'll need to address it.

I've had shin splints since I was a kid and orthotics was the only thing that fixed it for me.

Used to always get what I thought were shin splints at the start of every pre-season. Turns out it was the muscle at the front of my shin bone, well to the side of it, that was weak and was becoming strained with the training load. 

Started to do strengthening exercises for that area with resistance bands and haven't had issues since. Would do strength training for my lower body without runners on too. As you mentioned, it's helped strengthen my feet which has helped.

@Coleman, I'd recommend doing as much as possible without shoes, even around the house, ditch flip-flops, etc if you wear them regularly.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

shin splints are my biggest bug bear. i ran 1000km between march and december. gave it 6 weeks rest at start of the year to see if i could heal the issue. ever since i've only been running 20 to 25k a week. i can feel them again, especially after the 10k's. anyone got any advice? tried various stretches having read stuff on google but alas things are only marginally better. 

It's most likely down to the bio-mechanics of your feet. If you have any pronation then you'll need to address it.

I've had shin splints since I was a kid and orthotics was the only thing that fixed it for me.

Used to always get what I thought were shin splints at the start of every pre-season. Turns out it was the muscle at the front of my shin bone, well to the side of it, that was weak and was becoming strained with the training load. 

Started to do strengthening exercises for that area with resistance bands and haven't had issues since. Would do strength training for my lower body without runners on too. As you mentioned, it's helped strengthen my feet which has helped.

@Coleman, I'd recommend doing as much as possible without shoes, even around the house, ditch flip-flops, etc if you wear them regularly.

This. Shin splints are generally issues in the muscles around the shin as oppose to any damage to the shin itself. You'd be amazed how much training your feet and ankles would help it. Walking barefoot around the house engages so many tiny muscles and joints that wouldn't normally be used when wearing shoes. There are also simple exercises on your feet and ankles you can do for 5 mins a day that would make a huge difference
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 6:59pm
Anybody do any early morning running say 6am, wanting to change my routine with the footpaths being packed now in the evenings especially with the sunny weather coming. Is it easier to run in the mornings than evenings or do you feel better when you do your run in the morning?
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by jamo1 jamo1 wrote:

Anybody do any early morning running say 6am, wanting to change my routine with the footpaths being packed now in the evenings especially with the sunny weather coming. Is it easier to run in the mornings than evenings or do you feel better when you do your run in the morning?

I always preferred to do it first thing in the morning, sets you up for the rest of the day. 

It’s hard getting up but once you are out on the road it’s all good.

theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 7:42pm
Done a couple of 7am runs. Not for me. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 9:44pm
I do it at 8:30 a bit, drop the kids to the creche, and then run before work. Tougher to get going, and obviously a lot colder but you do feel great after it
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 11:03pm
I've been going in the evenings. Sleep a lot better after proper exercise in the evening. Unfortunately can't do road running everyday as finds it makes my knee swell. Anyone find the same?
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 11:11pm
started a couple of weeks ago and up to 15 90 seconds running and 30 second break intervals, hate it and I’m barely able to get through it at all but it’s the first time in 2 or 3 years I’ve exercised so trying to stick at it. Have it in my head to get up at 7 or 8 for one but find I’ve gotten fairly lazy with this working from home stuff and I never get up for it. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 5:29am
Fair play TWC, keep at it. It's all about developing the habit of exercising, the results will come in time.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 9:26am

I aim to get up and run before work a couple of times a week but in reality it probably only happens one or twice a month at best. It does set you up for the day but I find my pace is always a bit slower in the mornings, don't know if that's down to a hydration issue or what the cause is.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

I aim to get up and run before work a couple of times a week but in reality it probably only happens one or twice a month at best. It does set you up for the day but I find my pace is always a bit slower in the mornings, don't know if that's down to a hydration issue or what the cause is.
12 pints of Guinness the night before maybe a factor Big smile
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 6:04pm
This weekend was supposed to be the Limerick marathon, but they had a virtual event instead. 
So I did mine on Saturday morning. Had a friend join me on 17km for the motivation. 
At the last Dublin marathon my calf went on the 32km mark and had to walk the rest and I could feel the same pain starting again around 38km. 
Legs were f*cked but I slowly went on and definitely would have given up if I didn't have the help. 
Ended up doing it in 4.21 which I'm pretty happy with. My pacing was supposed to be 4.13 but considering the leg issues I'm still happy enough. 
Think I drank well and ate well so I don't know how I can do it again without the feeling that my calf is going to tear. 
Not sure if it's silly or optimistic to think that this years Dublin marathon I could get under 4 hours. 

The dark side.. And the light
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 8:24pm
Fair play, it's a very different mental challenge when you're doing it virtually. Where did ya run it?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 8:26am
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

This weekend was supposed to be the Limerick marathon, but they had a virtual event instead. 
So I did mine on Saturday morning. Had a friend join me on 17km for the motivation. 
At the last Dublin marathon my calf went on the 32km mark and had to walk the rest and I could feel the same pain starting again around 38km. 
Legs were f*cked but I slowly went on and definitely would have given up if I didn't have the help. 
Ended up doing it in 4.21 which I'm pretty happy with. My pacing was supposed to be 4.13 but considering the leg issues I'm still happy enough. 
Think I drank well and ate well so I don't know how I can do it again without the feeling that my calf is going to tear. 
Not sure if it's silly or optimistic to think that this years Dublin marathon I could get under 4 hours. 

You can get a heal raise which will alleviate the pressure on your calf. I'd only use it for the marathon though.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Fair play, it's a very different mental challenge when you're doing it virtually. Where did ya run it?

I ran from mine in Rathfarnham to a friend's house in Tallaght which was 10km. I'd dropped in some drinks to him the day before so I did 3 10km loopsaround Tallaght, so people were in his garden to cheer me on each lap which really helped. 
Hopefully Dublin will go ahead with competitors and spectators. 

The dark side.. And the light
galwayman View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote galwayman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 10:19pm

I’m not a serious runner by any means - I do three 5ks a week purely for weight management and to try and maintain some form of fitness as I’ve stopped playing football competitively now - but... I find it great to get the run done and dusted first thing in the morning before work.
Usually around 7 or 7:30am in my case.
It has the added bonus for me of not having to worry about timing my food intake which was a pain when running later in the day.
I have my breakfast after the run.
But as I said my mileage isn’t high so maybe that wouldn’t work so well for longer distances.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/athletics/2021/0407/1208480-sprinter-leon-reid-charged-with-drugs-offences-in-uk/

Jaysus Shocked

Looking at a long aul spell in the clink if he gets convicted 

Named in Athletics Squad for the Olympics

Edited by Denis Irwin - 08 Jul 2021 at 7:30pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 19202122>
  Share Topic