You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Running

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:40pm
Tmw will be my first 10k race, we will see how that goes and take it from there, I generally get out 3/4 times a week or as much as I can. I would love to do the half marathon but will see how the training goes in the next few months, Gaz is considering it as well. I hear you on the not walking in any of the race tmw I don't think that will happen to be honest, I'll report back tmw and let you know how it goes.

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

Tmw will be my first 10k race, we will see how that goes and take it from there, I generally get out 3/4 times a week or as much as I can. I would love to do the half marathon but will see how the training goes in the next few months, Gaz is considering it as well. I hear you on the not walking in any of the race tmw I don't think that will happen to be honest, I'll report back tmw and let you know how it goes.

Good man , good luck!
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 2:21pm
I'd go running a few times a week, it's great for stress relief and you always feel much better for it. It's such an easy activity to get into and maintain regularly.

I've done a few marathons but now I just stick to the 10k races/runs.

JohnnyD87 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyD87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 2:33pm
Achill ultramarathon end of august. 3 x 10 mile runs a week and a half marathon 0nce a week, training /distance will increase over the nxt few weeks/months find it important also to do a bit of strength training on days off from the running.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 3:43pm

@shedite how long did it take you to build up for a marathon or even half marathon? Serious training for both I'm sure, fair play
I was on a route of about 6k which I used to run a few times a week, then decided one new years day to try the Marathon in Cork that year. That was June Bank Holiday so took about 5 months to do that.

It's amazing him quickly it can build up if ya go 5-10% further each week
Gavintheslob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It’s Nessa actually

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavintheslob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 5:04pm
Started doing a bit of running last year not too much maybe 2-3kms 2 or 3 times a week, doing a couple of 5k races this year

Have to agree you do feel so much better after you have done it
Its very frustrating being a Slob
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 5:31pm
Took it up in my 3rd year of college, would regularly run 5km on the tradmill to finish my gym session. Recorded my times when I was in my final year and got my best at 21 minutes 50 seconds. Unfortunately around that time I went back playing Gaelic Football and the switching of surfaces caused damage to my knee ligaments. Happened again a year later when I was training for a triathlon so I dont go on treadmills anymore. Between general laziness and GAA & Soccer training, I don't go for a run as often anymore.

Currently training for another triathlon in 2 weeks time and decided to time myself for the Darkness Into Light run 2 weeks ago, surprised myself by doing it in 22 minutes 8 seconds, having trouble with my hamstring of late but really enjoyed it. Will be doing a lot more in the lead up to the race.
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 8:51am
Originally posted by JohnnyD87 JohnnyD87 wrote:

Achill ultramarathon end of august. 3 x 10 mile runs a week and a half marathon 0nce a week, training /distance will increase over the nxt few weeks/months find it important also to do a bit of strength training on days off from the running.

That sounds tough going, fair play.

Strength training is actually really effective for increasing aerobic capacity in endurance athletes. There's plenty of ways to train for distance running without having to lash out the distances.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
ShayGivensBum View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

The lighter coloured grass is painted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 11:22am
Fair play. Love seeing people on a fitness buzz

Portmarnock beach is a nice run sono. You should try there.
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 12:01pm
Race done, 52:11 absolutely delighted with the time, feel like a few pints now!

Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 12:28pm

Well done Sono... excellent time

My PB for 10k is 38 minutes....but was a long while ago
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 12:36pm
Jaysus that's some time SH! I was on for 50mins up until 7km then I just crashed and slowed down but still reasonably happy considering I hadn't gone the full 10k distance before, onwards and upwards.

ShayGivensBum View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

The lighter coloured grass is painted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 12:40pm
Well done.
Barna Bee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barna Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 12:42pm
Do 12.5k 2 to 3 times a week ....takes well over an hour but just to keep the weight down and engine ticking over ... As someone mentioned great for stress relief too....have been feeling sore shins /lower legs recently so have started to do a bit of swimming ...lucky to have the choice of 2 beautiful 50 m pools where I live so it's great too

Edited by Barna Bee - 24 May 2015 at 12:42pm
"in di cup for Tottinghang!"
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 12:44pm
That's great running Barna fair play, read about your weight loss in the other thread, unbelievable achievement well done.

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 12:50pm

That's class Sono, the sub 2hr halfer could be in your grasp !
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 6:28am

ClapClapClapClapClapClap
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 10:02am
Fair play Sono, well done

Have just taken up the running too after about 2 years of doing nothing. Doing 4k twice a week at the minute (all that have time for) and its a struggle but am getting through it, be it with a couple of minutes rest whilst doing it. Only at it 3/4 weeks but can notice being able to go that little bit further each time before resting/stretching which is good I suppose. Aim is to try run a 5k race without stopping sometime during the summer and then maybe see if a 10k is possible down the line.

I agree with the feeling better part - the thoughts of going aren't too appealing, you question yourself when you're doing it & then when you're home and showered you feel the better of it and the head feels fresher. Good runners are a must though, had a old pair of Asics and had to upgrade at the weekend and noticed a huge difference last night on the ankles & knees.

Best of luck with it anyway, keep us updated
Some people just deserve a slap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>
  Share Topic