You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Running

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running
    Posted: 22 May 2015 at 11:14pm
Anyone else on here do any running of any sort if so what distances?

I started doing this in March and I could barely make the 3km mark I know it's pathetic but I have stuck with this and was determined to improve and I am running my first 10km race on Sunday and aiming to enter the Dublin half marathon in September, a lot of training required but I'm hopeful.

So not only am I getting fitter it clears the head and I feel a lot better in myself too, never thought I would get a buzz from running but there you go, half also lost half a stone in the meantime without trying very hard.

All in all running is good!

BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 11:33pm
Do 5k every couple of days with my dogs. Walk around 3k days in between.

Running
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 11:33pm
Iif snapchat is anything to go by its all you do......

Good stuff though, well done
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 11:35pm
LogYourRun is a great app if you like your running / walking / cycling .
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 11:44pm
You wouldn't be too far off Sham

Can definitely feel the benefits of it though, a very enoyable past time.

Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 12:08am
Good for you Sono.....you have got the buzz.....I got hooked on distance running after having to give up football some many years ago.....physical challenge and a new experience....mental challenge

I did two full marathons and dozens of half marathons...... was doing 2 races a month so needed very little training in between
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 9:33am
Yeah I do a lot of running, done a few marathons, half, 10k's. Really enjoy getting out for a run on a Monday after a boozy weekend or after a rough day at work. Good for the mind.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 9:36am
I don't think there is anything more boring than running.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 10:07am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Used to think this myself but I'm hooked on it now, having the Phoenix park to use nearby is great and you feel great after a good run.

@shedite how long did it take you to build up for a marathon or even half marathon? Serious training for both I'm sure, fair play

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 10:24am
I've been out this morning for a short run only about 3.5/4 miles gradually getting back into it after heirna problems.
Back in the day I did the Sunderland half marathon three times and the Great North Run hopefully going to step it up with my brother.
Not a big fan of running on your own.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
daboi89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daboi89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 11:30am
My goal for the end of the summer is 10 k in under 50 mins
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

Used to think this myself but I'm hooked on it now, having the Phoenix park to use nearby is great and you feel great after a good run.

@shedite how long did it take you to build up for a marathon or even half marathon? Serious training for both I'm sure, fair play

LOL 

Do you do run the main road in the park? Always see people running it and then turning back to go again, it's one long c*nt of a road so I'd say it's a pain in the hole to run. It's great to have targets like the race series to aim for, keeps you motivated. Best of luck in them.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 12:45pm
I do a fair bit , just load up second captains and otb and you are sorted to ease the boredom
Have done a couple of half marathons, I just do it to keep myself fit for football.
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

LOL 

Do you do run the main road in the park? Always see people running it and then turning back to go again, it's one long c*nt of a road so I'd say it's a pain in the hole to run. It's great to have targets like the race series to aim for, keeps you motivated. Best of luck in them.

I run down by Blackhorse avenue up through the front of the park and back up, takes me up to just under 10km, I find that route tough but I have other ones when im not up to the longer distance, generally run 8km when I'm down there.

@daboi the aim for tmw is in around the 55min mark, when I started out my times for 5k was very slow and I have knocked 4mins off that in a short space of time, you'd be surprised how much the fitness builds once you stick with it.

Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

I do a fair bit , just load up second captains and otb and you are sorted to ease the boredom
Have done a couple of half marathons, I just do it to keep myself fit for football.

What kind of training do you do for the half marathons Milla? I'm not doing the one in September unless I know I'll be able to finish it and not be walking for a few k, run it or I'm out for me

daboi89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daboi89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:15pm
I'll take that on board sono . Just back from 4k this morning. 22 minutes.

My best 5k is 26.53

That run tactic app

Edited by daboi89 - 23 May 2015 at 1:18pm
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:19pm
That's decent going, another thing I have been advised by people is to not increase distance at any one time by more than 10-15%, steady progress and you'll notice yourself when you get comfortable at say 4k when you're ready to step it up and go further, there is a great feeling knowing you're getting fitter, best of luck Daboi

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 1:35pm

Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

What kind of training do you do for the half marathons Milla? I'm not doing the one in September unless I know I'll be able to finish it and not be walking for a few k, run it or I'm out for me

Started training for 10k races first sono. Concentrating on keeping moving and not stopping to walk. Me first race was a 7 k charity race. Then did a few 10k , started getting up to 14 and then 18.

When I did me first halfer I had never ran 22k before but when you are in the competition you always push yourself more.

Best thing is forget about any other distance except for 10k and see how you feel after you do one, there is practically one held every weekend around Dublin
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
  Share Topic