You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Josh Cullen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 61>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Keep one, switch out too. Given his form, keep Hourihane and intro Knight and Cullen. I think that’s a good balance.

Kelleher
  Coleman Egan Duffy Stevens

Knight Cullen Hourihane

Brady    Long   Connolly 

Agree that this looks like the best team but I'd have Hendrick over Hourihane every time that was the choice.

Hourihane has scored three goals in three games for Swansea which is superb but that doesn't mean his overall performances have been good. He may have had those 'moments' we know he is capable of.

Hourihane has been pretty terrible is all 24 of his caps so far. To be fair he's not been the only one.

Hendrick gives you more energy and mobility than hourihane but I'd agree he has been poor in some games too but better of late.

Sponsored Links

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Keep one, switch out too. Given his form, keep Hourihane and intro Knight and Cullen. I think that’s a good balance.

Kelleher
  Coleman Egan Duffy Stevens

Knight Cullen Hourihane

Brady    Long   Connolly 

Agree that this looks like the best team but I'd have Hendrick over Hourihane every time that was the choice.

Hourihane has scored three goals in three games for Swansea which is superb but that doesn't mean his overall performances have been good. He may have had those 'moments' we know he is capable of.

Hourihane has been pretty terrible is all 24 of his caps so far. To be fair he's not been the only one.

Hendrick gives you more energy and mobility than hourihane but I'd agree he has been poor in some games too but better of late.

Hendrick does indeed give you more energy and mobility. He just about make sense in a Burnley or Newcastle team. Stephen Kenny wants to play possession based football. why would you play somebody who does not want the ball?
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 5:55pm
Hourihane not only doesn't want the ball, unless its a dead ball hes doesn't do anything with it.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 6:01pm

Hourihane not only doesn't want the ball, unless its a dead ball hes doesn't do anything with it.

Get rid of both of them then. I'm hoping beyond hope that the last 8 games was Stephen Kenny giving everybody the benefit of the doubt and preconceived ideas he had about the potential of certain players was actually wrong. 

Apologies for being a broken record here but his choice of players in midfield is completely contradictory to the style of play he wants to achieve. It seems so obvious. How can you want to play a possession game yet put midfielders in who do not want to be on the ball, or at the very least, will go out of their way to be on the ball? 
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 6:10pm
I'd have Cullen alongside McCarthy for the midfield basics. Neither them or Molumby provides much creative or offensive threat though so a lot of onus is on the third midfielder in a more attacking role to be our playmaker. Hourihane has failed just too many times so I'd give Brady the chance there, he's wasted playing deeper, on the right and most certainly at full back but he's got the only midfielder we have with the ability to be a threat at international level to better teams.
Hendrick contributes nothing offensively or defensively so needs to be jettisoned. Keep him in the squad as back up due to minimal alternatives but not to start. I'd consider starting Knight on the right side of attack as he's more threat surely than O'Dowda.
IrishMan234 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishMan234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 6:17pm
I like that midfield too. But I genuinely think we need to try Cullen in Serbia. We’ve had the tried and tested players like Hendrick McCarthy and even Brady through the middle and it just doesn’t work. Don’t forget Hourihane also. Molumby is getting minutes atm too so he’ll be sharp come March.
I’d be willing to use this campaign to get the likes of Cullen Molumby and Knight ready for the euros next time around and who knows it could even pay off this campaign and we see a huge improvement! Won’t know until Kenny tries it.

I wouldn’t play Duffy on current form though 😬
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 6:21pm
I think Smallbone will be the long term solution, sadly got injured which will have him out for a while. 

Also have a hope that Kilkenny will get his chance but feel hes a couple of years away.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

I'd have Cullen alongside McCarthy for the midfield basics. Neither them or Molumby provides much creative or offensive threat though so a lot of onus is on the third midfielder in a more attacking role to be our playmaker. Hourihane has failed just too many times so I'd give Brady the chance there, he's wasted playing deeper, on the right and most certainly at full back but he's got the only midfielder we have with the ability to be a threat at international level to better teams.
Hendrick contributes nothing offensively or defensively so needs to be jettisoned. Keep him in the squad as back up due to minimal alternatives but not to start. I'd consider starting Knight on the right side of attack as he's more threat surely than O'Dowda.

I don’t object to that. Brady is really the only player we have who could be considered a technician. Knight, Cullen, Brady midfield would at least not be afraid of the ball.

Right wing: Horgan? Robinson? Harness? Doherty? O’Dowda. f**k knows, honestly. Been a problem position for a long time
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 6:45pm
Right-wing is an issue and the U21s option of Elbouzedi seems a long way from International football so no solution forthcoming there.
I wonder who'll pin down that position in the next U21 campaign...
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 6:53pm
Unfortunately for Kenny, given the players available to him he hasn't been able to replicate the style (he probably wants) that he had with the under 21's. 

Beating the same drum, but the importance of a number 10 is probably the key. 

The under 21's set up of 4-2-3-1 with Connor Ronan in the number 10 role, Molumby as the high energy box to box midfielder and Coventry as an also high energy midfielder, sitting deep, and ALWAYS looking to receive the ball from the back four.

This was a perfectly balanced midfield, notably in the link positions. 

In an ideal world Wes Hoolahan would be 10 years younger, he'd walk into this team and the dynamic would fundamentally shift. 

Kenny needs to find a solution to not having a traditional number 10. At the moment, there's a huge focus on high energy in the number 10 role. High pressing, forcing errors.....then what? You get the ball back but are devoid of ideas. Unless we get substantial creativity into the final third, Kenny needs to rethink his over all approach.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 7:03pm
Going into the Nations League, I had low expectations given Brady's last four years of being out of form, lack of appearances and the serious injury he had but I think he's done enough to justify being a regular starter in that No 10 role. He's been decent and is able to play put the right weight on the through ball. 

Not that Brady had the career or talent of Giggs but it does remind me a bit when Giggs moved into that central midfield role for United in his last couple of years and was excellent. The No 10 is Brady's position until Connor Ronan hopefully develops into a potential successor. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 7:06pm
I not sure changing the whole game plan to accommodate the current poor selection of players we have at the moment is a sensible approach.

The outlook of the team can change very fast. If we had Rice and Grealish available the team changes dramatically.

Let's not bring knight, connolly, molumby, oshea etc into a team that is a punishment to play in as much as it is to watch.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 10:56pm

I not sure changing the whole game plan to accommodate the current poor selection of players we have at the moment is a sensible approach.

The outlook of the team can change very fast. If we had Rice and Grealish available the team changes dramatically.

Let's not bring knight, connolly, molumby, oshea etc into a team that is a punishment to play in as much as it is to watch.

Clown
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 7:45am
Even after a bad result Cullen getting praise.

Ranging from Cullen is indispensable to Cullen does the work of 2 but can't do it alone.

If we realised we have a project on our hands we would move on to the young lads and give them plenty of experience. Cullen, Knight , Molumby , Connolly ,Kelleher , O Shea, Collins etc 

Put them in a team of Egan, Coleman and beg Mcgoldrick to come back.

It is one of the best ways to ensure these lads progressions and turn this in to a young attacking fearless teams that just goes for it.

Yes results will suffer but Ireland need to be bold not the same old pragmatic sh*te. Think of the next 10 years and not the next 2 games.

And yes I know it won't happen and Kenny could never do it even if he wanted to and sur Sam Allardyce will be free after this season and he can play the hoof ball the dinosaurs want and it hasn't led to the current situation one bit.

At some stage we are going to have to bite the bullet and admit we are going to suffer (even more) because of the total mismanagement and lack of vision (and culture) in Irish football. Let it be now while it makes sense.

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 8:51am
Delighted he has found first team football at a reasonable standard. He seems a really good professional.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 2:28pm
So impressive again today. I'll lose my sh!t if he doesn't get in ahead of Hendrick or McCarthy. 

He will so obviously make our midfield better.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

So impressive again today. I'll lose my sh!t if he doesn't get in ahead of Hendrick or McCarthy. 

He will so obviously make our midfield better.

+1 on that. Not sure how he played today to be honest as I didn't watch the game, but anderlect won 3-1 away from home, he played 90mins and he's getting very positive reviews.

Mccarthy got another 15 mins today too, if he can improve on that over the next few games I'd have mccarthy and Cullen in midfield with knight.

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 2:47pm
They must have some bonkers way of deciding the man of the match in Belgium cause he was obviously the best player on the pitch. 

Once again there's nothing flashy about him, just this fook off diesel engine that just goes and goes. Breaks up play and positive when in possession.

Kenny will have him on the standby list. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 61>
  Share Topic