You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Josh Cullen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 61>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 8:20pm
Hendrick definitely puts in a shift and nobody can deny he gets around the pitch. But one thing both McCarthy and Hendrick have in common is they in an ideal world (for them) have no intentions of getting on the ball if they can help it. Too much moving away from the ball as opposed to making themselves available. Too often pointing at other people who should receive the pass. i.e. not taking responsibility. 

I'm still amazed that Kenny sees these two as viable options in midfield given how he hopes to play. 

Sponsored Links

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Originally posted by Loc Loc wrote:

Good to hear. For some reason you get the impression Kenny isn’t a big fan but I’ve been v impressed any time I’ve seen him.

He had a very good year at Charlton but got injured and has been in and out since start of last season. I reckon it wont be long until he is involved a lot more but looks like McCarthy is ahead of him for the holding role of the 3.

Anderlecht fans are absolutely raving about him tonight and in general. great to see. I actually think in some ways he is very similar to a younger Glen Whelan. I know a lot of people will hate that comment but I honestly mean it as a compliment. Whelan was a very handy player in his prime.

In fairness, you're not far wrong. Quite similar to Whelan. The main difference being he has more of an offensive instinct. Cullen is more inclined to look up. More likely to drive forward. He's also a lot more mobile.

Edited by Banjaxed - 07 Feb 2021 at 8:30pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 9:00pm
I've great respect for Whelan and both himself and Hendrick get too much of that scapegoat style criticism imo but Cullen would definitely cover more ground than Whelan. He is still relatively unproven, though at this stage but Kenny needs to give him more of a chance in actually starting matches.

I'd be less inclined to have Hendrick in that holding position as he is arguably more of an offensive player. On the right of the more advanced three is probably the best position, though he'd have plenty of competition from Robinson/O'Dowda. 

Brady should remain in that No 10 role. I think the Serbs would be wary of him and he's a threat from a set piece. 

Edited by irishmufc - 07 Feb 2021 at 9:00pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
IrishMan234 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishMan234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 11:07pm
Surely on current form Cullen starts in Serbia? It will be a real shame if we stick to Hendrick Hourihane and McCarthy(if fit).

Cullen for me is nailed on IMO. 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 1:31pm
I'd see Cullen as a direct replacement for McCarthy (any argument to play both say, away to Serbia and Portugal?).

McCarthy has played just nine games this season, 8 in the PL and one cup match.
That's not great for February and with Cullen playing weekly and playing well, be interesting to see how SK approaches this position.

kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 1:59pm
There no doubting Cullen is playing well for Anderlecht but the quality of the league he's playing in has to be questioned, I've watched a few games against teams and I thought it lacked a bit of quality.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

There no doubting Cullen is playing well for Anderlecht but the quality of the league he's playing in has to be questioned, I've watched a few games against teams and I thought it lacked a bit of quality.

Yeah, it’s a step below premier league level. Perhaps Championship level with less instensitg. Looking at the players at Anderlecht and opponents, it seems to be mostly U21 internationals from top-tier teams and internationals from second and third tier teams like us.

That said, he has looked impressive in the highlights. Constantly pushing up to support the attack, always available for a pass, comfortable on the ball and good at creating things. He has a couple of pacy young lads in midfield with him, but you can see him flourishing for us with hard runners like Knight and Molumby alongside him.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
IrishMan234 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IrishMan234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 2:34pm
Cullen Knight and Molumby is the dream. 
Hourihane Hendrick Brady/McCarthy the reality 😂LOL
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Yeah, it’s a step below premier league level. Perhaps Championship level with less instensitg. Looking at the players at Anderlecht and opponents, it seems to be mostly U21 internationals from top-tier teams and internationals from second and third tier teams like us.

That said, he has looked impressive in the highlights. Constantly pushing up to support the attack, always available for a pass, comfortable on the ball and good at creating things. He has a couple of pacy young lads in midfield with him, but you can see him flourishing for us with hard runners like Knight and Molumby alongside him.

It would be great to see a midfield trio of Cullen, Knight and Molumby but I'm certain Kenny will go with the tried and trusted of McCarthy, Hendrick & Hourihane in Belgrade. Not only would the former provide energy and legs, they wouldn't go hiding for 90 minutes. Hendrick & Horuihane have been largely anonymous in a green jersey and Kenny's decision to stick with them could prove to be his downfall. Cullen always looks assured on the ball for Ireland albeit against lesser sides but he is playing week in week out and earning rave reviews for Anderlecht. We need to think long term and ditch the players who have constantly failed to deliver and are only selected because of their Premier League status. Please Kenny, put us out of our misery and drop at least 1 of Hendrick & Hourihane as we can't afford to carry 2 passengers any longer. The thoughts of Duffy starting are only adding to the anxiety of the March games.

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 08 Feb 2021 at 3:29pm
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

It would be great to see a midfield trio of Cullen, Knight and Molumby but I'm certain Kenny will go with the tried and trusted* of McCarthy, Hendrick & Hourihane in Belgrade. Not only would the former provide energy and legs, they wouldn't go hiding for 90 minutes. Hendrick & Horuihane have been largely anonymous in a green jersey and Kenny's decision to stick with them could prove to be his downfall. Cullen always looks assured on the ball for Ireland albeit against lesser sides but he is playing week in week out and earning rave reviews for Anderlecht. We need to think long term and ditch the players who have constantly failed to deliver and are only selected because of their Premier League status. Please Kenny, put us out of our misery and drop at least 1 of Hendrick & Hourihane as we can't afford to carry 2 passengers any longer. The thoughts of Duffy starting are only adding to the anxiety of the March games.

*denoting something that has proven in the past to be effective or reliable.

I think we can all agree there is nothing tried and tested about that midfield 3. And Kenny continuing with it would be utterly deflating and flies in face of the style of football he's looking to play.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by IrishMan234 IrishMan234 wrote:

Do people really think we'd be in with a chance of having a better result if we started Cullen, Knight and Molumby?

We'd be having the same conversations in April if that was the case.
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 4:14pm
Has he actually played a holding role at Anderlecht? People have always been talking about him in a holding role on here but he never played that role for Charlton at all. It makes me question how much anyone has actually watched him play. 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Do people really think we'd be in with a chance of having a better result if we started Cullen, Knight and Molumby?

Who knows? Do you? If so, based on what?

Hendrick and McCarthy in the trio is bonkers. 2 of your midfielders who don't really want to be on the ball. Fair enough if you're playing direct back to front, but Kenny harbours aspirations for us to be a possession based team that inflicts our style on the other team. Being proactive and not reactive. 

For that reason, I don't get Kenny's personnel choices. 

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Who knows? Do you? If so, based on what?

Hendrick and McCarthy in the trio is bonkers. 2 of your midfielders who don't really want to be on the ball. Fair enough if you're playing direct back to front, but Kenny harbours aspirations for us to be a possession based team that inflicts our style on the other team. Being proactive and not reactive. 

For that reason, I don't get Kenny's personnel choices. 

I have reservations re: how ready Molumby is from what I've seen of him so far. Cullen has looked good, albeit in friendlies against awful teams. Knight looked impetuous in his brief cameos for us so far.

I'd completely understand if Kenny went with Hendrick and McCarthy based on their experience and showing in the high-stakes game against Slovakia.

Cullen, Knight and Molumby are all promising and deserve a chance but I can't help but feel the Serbia game is too soon for them.

I don't think they're the salve to our problems right now. We've already found that out the hard way with Idah and Connolly.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 4:23pm

Even if they're anonymous they'd be no worse than the midfield we have been picking for the last two years, and at least there would be a sense of building for the future in terms of bringing them in. 

The counter argument is probably that we're on a hiding to nothing in this group anyway so we'd maybe be as well sticking with our current malfunctioning midfield rather than having the younger lads take unfair stick and be written off, since we probably haven't a goal in us up front either way with the way Kenny is setting the team up.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 4:26pm

Weve been terrible when playing hourihane and hendrick.

Worst case scenario if we play knight and cullen instead would be that we are terrible still. 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 4:27pm
Keep one, switch out too. Given his form, keep Hourihane and intro Knight and Cullen. I think that’s a good balance.

Kelleher
  Coleman Egan Duffy Stevens

Knight Cullen Hourihane

Brady    Long   Connolly 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 4:50pm
We badly need a creative midfielder. Everyone gets that. But let's try solve the solvable

We're playing out from the back. We need a player who will consistently go looking for the ball from the back 4... WITHOUT FAIL. Hourihane was given that role a few times. Sometimes he did it. Sometimes he didn't. He gets the ball and then looks to midfield. Jeff immediately starts back pedalling...fook you, Conor I'm out of here. Doesn't want to be on the ball. Nuts for a midfielder.

Hourihane as a sitter didn't then have the mobility to bring the ball forward himself, and for someone known for his left foot wand, his passing was shocking at times.

When McCarthy was playing the sitting role... he wouldn't relieve pressure on Duffy, who was visibly uncomfortable with his new duties. James should have continuously demanded the ball and helped him out and drive forward. James McCarthy does not want to be on the ball. Nuts for a midfielder. Even nuttier for a deep lying mid who's supposed to be linking play from the back.

Our links between defence and midfield and midfield and attack or non exist. We are pissing in the wind until this is rectified. Molumby, Knight and Cullen might not be the answer but at least starting players who aren't afraid of the ball might help.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 61>
  Share Topic