You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Josh Cullen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 61>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 4:09pm
I would have Brady in the team nominally on the right of the front three. But on the field I would give him more of a free role to drift inside and support the centre forward and help out in midfield as needed.

Regardless of whether we go Doherty or Coleman at right back we know either player will help going forward and push into the opposing half. We saw a few occasions in the Autumn where Doherty and O'Dowda were tripping over each other because O'Dowda was in the area of the field that Doherty was attacking into. Having Brady there instead who would drift inside would be better I think.

I would want to see both Knight and Molumby playing in March with a sitter behind them in midfield - they would both bring badly needed energy and forward running to the team. Cullen would be a good sitting midfielder, but I would understand going with someone like McCarthy instead so that there is at least some continuity in central midfield.

Hourihane isn't needed as long as Brady is fit and playing and while Hendrick is still worth his place in the squad we need to look to other players as regular starters now, he has had more than enough opportunities without contributing all that much to the team.
Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 4:20pm
Hard to argue with that too much. Another point with Hendrick too is that Dyche dropped him for a few games at the start of the 2019/20 season because he was poor for them. He came back into the side and played much better as a result. 

Dropping lads is no harm it’s needed and I’d argue if you play Duffy in March you basically telling him he can serve up any sort of level and not be suited to your style yet he plays anyways. It’s ridiculous. 

Not to say Duffy has been the main issue at Celtic he’s not but he’s playing in a team that now play a higher line by default and even against the equivalent of League 1/2 opposition he’s looking exposed playing it. I know people say he’s had off the field issues for sure but the higher line I think explains it too.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 4:50pm
As an ex player said of the Irish team sometimes it’s harder get out of the team than into.  

AKA pedantic kunt
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Kenny has to play Hendrick, Hourihane and Brady against Serbia. End of. Cause more important than football ability, or past performances or whether your even the right for man the job....... is EXPERIENCE! Experience when it comes to the senior international team is the cornerstone criteria for any team selection. 

The problem with Josh Cullen, Jason Knight or Molumby is that unlike Hendrick, they just don't have the experience required to go missing over 90 minutes. It's actually stood to Jeff, as his experience has meant that he's been able to consistently keep this up over the best part of 4 years now. Not to mention, he's taken that ability into club form. And onto his newest club Newcastle. You don't learn over night. That takes experience. God Bless Jeff.

Haha - We may as well bring Glenn Whelan back into the fold in that case. Hes playing regularly and has a lot of experience.

Hourihane has done very little to warrant a place in the squad let alone the starting 11. Hopefully the move to Swansea can change that but he's not made himself irreplaceable from recent ireland performances.

Strong argument that Knight, molumby and cullen should get a chance to see if they can do better. All 3 did reasonably well in the last internationals 

Edited by Left foot - 23 Jan 2021 at 5:19pm
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 6:34pm
Am all for giving the three of these a go. However, even with experience I can't see them making a significant difference to us over the next 5/6 years. I hope that I am proven wrong. None of them are a stand out player SK can build a team around. 

That said, as Hendrick, McCarthy and Hourihane haven't torn up any trees, don't have any difficulty with Cullen, Molumby and Knight all starting. Would like to see SK being brave with his selections. 

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 6:43pm
Hendrick has played over 120 times in the EPL. 

Molumby was considered not good enough for Brighton but appears to be considered a better option.

It appears that senior players are belittled and the junior players over hyped and players who don't play get better by each passing game!

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 6:44pm
I like all three of Cullen, Knight, and Molumby and Id say they are classic Ireland midfielders: industrious and hard running with a good mix of ability and attitude (Holland/Kinsella/Townsend types - nothing to be sniffed at). On paper, they are a good trio. 

I think that midfield would lack a touch of creativity and vision, which is something we have missed since Wes and struggled with forever. If you have a hard running pair like Knight and Molumby, it does give you a chance to employ a more creative deep lying player or a pure #10. Perhaps we’re still missing that piece of the puzzle.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Am all for giving the three of these a go. However, even with experience I can't see them making a significant difference to us over the next 5/6 years. I hope that I am proven wrong. None of them are a stand out player SK can build a team around. 

That said, as Hendrick, McCarthy and Hourihane haven't torn up any trees, don't have any difficulty with Cullen, Molumby and Knight all starting. Would like to see SK being brave with his selections. 

Your right. With all the stick he’s getting. I wouldn’t be dependent on hendrick or Hourihane to bail me out! Although I would have McCarthy starting with two of them!
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Molumby was considered not good enough for Brighton but appears to be considered a better option.

It appears that senior players are belittled and the junior players over hyped and players who don't play get better by each passing game!

The argument that a player has a number of EPL appearances and that means that they are the best available option has some merit but its not the rule.

Players like Robbie Keane came into the senior ireland set up at 17. There are countless examples of young players coming into the ireland team and being a better option that another with plenty of EPL experience.

Knight could very well hit the ground running and be a better option that anyone else in the ireland midfield.

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 7:05pm

I'm genuinely curious to know what it is that you expected to see from Jason Knight at age 19, but haven't seen, that has led you to decide that he can't make a significant difference to our midfield in the next 5 or 6 years.  Over 50 league appearances for Derby, 8 goals from midfield and currently captaining the team. At 19.

Some posters here seem to have an incredible loyalty towards players like Hendrick, Hourihane and McClean, who have been mainstays of the team for the last three years without really contributing anything much positive to our performances. I wouldn't knock any of those three's efforts for us (well maybe Hendrick's a bit) but they are limited players and our poor midfield has been a big contributor to our poor performances overall. 

Surely then, we need to look to emerging new players with potential, rather than go back to the same honest but limited efforts of those lads time and again.

Edited by You Tell Me - 23 Jan 2021 at 7:14pm
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 7:05pm
Up front Shane Long seems to be a forgotten man. The game in Belgrade he could have something to offer

Back to Cullen, the move so far is working out for him so well done to him for making the move and taking the opportunity. For Belgrade it will be an experienced side so would be surprised if he starts. He’ll start hopefully against the Qatar (can we add them to the Lebanon and the Ukraine for the fun?). A draw would be huge result the way the fixtures are set. Roll on March.

Edited by Dalymount79 - 23 Jan 2021 at 7:08pm
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

The argument that a player has a number of EPL appearances and that means that they are the best available option has some merit but its not the rule.

Players like Robbie Keane came into the senior ireland set up at 17. There are countless examples of young players coming into the ireland team and being a better option that another with plenty of EPL experience.

Knight could very well hit the ground running and be a better option that anyone else in the ireland midfield.

Have you not sussed this boy out yet?
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 7:10pm

Yeah I think that’s inevitable when a team has been performing poorly for a while. The regulars are identified as the problem and people are desperate for a quick fix so they hype the other available lads. 

El Puto Amo
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

Up front Shane Long seems to be a forgotten man. The game in Belgrade he could have something to offer

He's done at international level I think. If you want running and endeavour you're as well to go with Callum Robinson, and he's marginally more likely to get you a goal too. Long could be good for 10 or 15 minutes as an out ball when we're defending a lead or holding for a point but beyond that it's time to move on from him now.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Yeah I think that’s inevitable when a team has been performing poorly for a while. The regulars are identified as the problem and people are desperate for a quick fix so they hype the other available lads. 

When a team is performing poorly you look at the weak links and see what other options there are. Our defence has generally been ok, so nobody is calling for any massive changes there, other than the obvious concern over Duffy's current form.

But midfield has been a massive weakness for a long time. Up to now there has been nobody else realistically that could make a difference, but now that a number of younger players are putting their hands up with their performances, it's hardly surprising that there are calls to mix it up a bit.

DR.HUGO View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DR.HUGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 7:37pm
I don’t think SK is a fan I could be wrong but when we were losing players in the last squad Josh was at the end of the list of call ups.
Delighted to see him thrive and hopefully give SK food for thought captained his country and now his club well done I say.
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I'm genuinely curious to know what it is that you expected to see from Jason Knight at age 19, but haven't seen, that has led you to decide that he can't make a significant difference to our midfield in the next 5 or 6 years.  Over 50 league appearances for Derby, 8 goals from midfield and currently captaining the team. At 19.

Some posters here seem to have an incredible loyalty towards players like Hendrick, Hourihane and McClean, who have been mainstays of the team for the last three years without really contributing anything much positive to our performances. I wouldn't knock any of those three's efforts for us (well maybe Hendrick's a bit) but they are limited players and our poor midfield has been a big contributor to our poor performances overall. 

Surely then, we need to look to emerging new players with potential, rather than go back to the same honest but limited efforts of those lads time and again.

Based on my posts above I am taking it that paragraphs 2 and 3 are not directed towards me. 

In relation to your first paragraph, certainly Knight has done incredibly well and fair play to him. However, based on his strengths and what I have seen and read about him to date, he seems to fit into the all action and honest endeavor category rather than someone with the ability to raise the performances of those around him at international level. Remember we also had very high hopes for Hendrick and Brady.  
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 7:56pm
I would have no issue with Cullen and Molumby both starting as I think that's exactly what we need in the middle to break up the Serbs attacks. Both of them are good tacklers and Cullen especially looks to have excellent stamina. None of those two would be intimidated and I'd have no issue with their relative inexperience. 

Hendrick will start though and hopefully McCarthy is available. Knight and Browne to come on later if we're in trouble and need a goal. 

It's more important we don't lose this game as I don't think we're strong or confident enough to pull off a miracle win over there. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 61>
  Share Topic