You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Josh Cullen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 61>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

A midfield of Cullen Knight & Molumby would be great to see 

Yeah thats looking like a good balance in terms of player attributes with Cullen just in behind Knight and Molumby.

Not a midfield short of energy either.

Short of height though, Cullen and Knight are small and Molumby isn't huge either. Physical presence is something to consider in the middle and set pieces either end.

Hendrick and Hourihane are taller but both not exactly renowned for their aerial presence.

Could play Knight in behind the forwards as part of the front 3 seeing as we dont have mcgoldrick available anymore. Better than playing Parrott or idah until they come good -

Cullen 
Hendrick   Molumby 

Knight 
 Robinson Connolly 

Even with Brady in there for me this line up still lacks composure and guile. It would produce an honest high energy type performance but would likely end up a bit too frantic, particularly on the attack. It lacks the guile and assuredness that a Wessie or Didzy brings. Brady probably the closest to that of the options outlined but he is not that type of go to player to slow things down or open up a defense from an advanced central position with a killer pass. We are more a counter attacking or direct running team with these options. While this style isn't a bad thing, we would continue to be too predictable and one dimensional. 
Sponsored Links

CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 1:09pm
If they are all fit you'd have to presume the front 3 will be Brady, Robinson and Connolly, three lads playing Premier league football and doing okay this season when fit.

I do like the look of a Knight, Molumby and Cullen midfield but I suspect it will be too much of a drastic change for it to happen. I'd say you are guaranteed one if not two of Hendrick, Hourihane and McCarthy will be in the midfield. McCarthy will probably be the holding midfielder of choice but Cullen should be first choice backup for this role, and with the amount of games McCarthy is unavailable for you'd suspect he will get his chance in it. 
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

A midfield of Cullen Knight & Molumby would be great to see 

Yeah thats looking like a good balance in terms of player attributes with Cullen just in behind Knight and Molumby.

Not a midfield short of energy either.

Short of height though, Cullen and Knight are small and Molumby isn't huge either. Physical presence is something to consider in the middle and set pieces either end.

Hendrick and Hourihane are taller but both not exactly renowned for their aerial presence.

Could play Knight in behind the forwards as part of the front 3 seeing as we dont have mcgoldrick available anymore. Better than playing Parrott or idah until they come good -

Cullen 
Hendrick   Molumby 

Knight 
 Robinson Connolly 

Even with Brady in there for me this line up still lacks composure and guile. It would produce an honest high energy type performance but would likely end up a bit too frantic, particularly on the attack. It lacks the guile and assuredness that a Wessie or Didzy brings. Brady probably the closest to that of the options outlined but he is not that type of go to player to slow things down or open up a defense from an advanced central position with a killer pass. We are more a counter attacking or direct running team with these options. While this style isn't a bad thing, we would continue to be too predictable and one dimensional. 
For a start Didzy must be the worst nickname ever. Secondly, he played 14 times for us, let’s not get ahead of ourselves after his first 10 appearances the majority of supporters probably classed him as a bit of a donkey target man for a want of a better description whose level was provided bottom half of the championship. His performances for us last campaign were good but he’s probably had 3/4 good performances for us. Even in those performances he’s was so frustrating to watch often the person putting crosses into the box when he should have been the end of them.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 1:43pm
Liverpool have introduced more guile into their team and they have gone backwards.   

High energy performances while keeping the ball and not giving it away are no bad thing.  

We work with the players we have.  Hendrick and Brady will likely start in Serbia and McCarthy too if he is fit.  One major issue we have is that the most advanced midfielder needs to be a goal threat.  Hendrick is not a goal threat. I think Browne is a most likely goal threat in that position.  
AKA pedantic kunt
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Liverpool have introduced more guile into their team and they have gone backwards.   

High energy performances while keeping the ball and not giving it away are no bad thing.  

We work with the players we have.  Hendrick and Brady will likely start in Serbia and McCarthy too if he is fit.  One major issue we have is that the most advanced midfielder needs to be a goal threat.  Hendrick is not a goal threat. I think Browne is a most likely goal threat in that position.  

In fairness, liverpool had a lot more guile to begin with so it is hardly a valid comparison. Adding guile would massively improve us. 

I know SK can't magic up players from nowhere but fear we will be far too one dimensional with that line up. I admire your positivity but think the likes of Cullen, Knight and Molumby as much as I like them are not going to be an improvement or upgrade on Whelan, Hendrick and McCarthy. As for Browne, I would see him as a squad player for us.

Edited by 50%lesssugar&salt - 23 Jan 2021 at 2:53pm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 2:57pm
Agree Molumby needs a lot more games for Preston, Cullen maybe needs more games at anderlect too. 

But knight pretty much has the Derby team build around him, is the first name on the team sheet, wins his fair share of MOTM and plaudits and has been linked already with premier league clubs at 19.

I would say knight is ahead of Hourihane, Molumby, Cullen and maybe even Hendrick at the moment. 

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Brady will definitely be starting.

And Hendrick.

Left Foot named Hendrick in the midfield.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 3:12pm

Play that 3 in mid and 3 up top with Brady Left full and Coleman on the right. O'shea and Clarke at centre half. Kelleher in goals hopefully one other striker to improve. There's the potential for a reasonable side. 
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by avfc avfc wrote:

Play that 3 in mid and 3 up top with Brady Left full and Coleman on the right. O'shea and Clarke at centre half. Kelleher in goals hopefully one other striker to improve. There's the potential for a reasonable side. 

absolutely bizarre to suggest playing a player who plays his football as a Right sided attacker as a left back
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 3:29pm

Brady left back LOL

Do you realise how much sh*t you constantly talk on this forum? At least make it entertaining if you’re going down that route.
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Brady left back LOL

Do you realise how much sh*t you constantly talk on this forum? At least make it entertaining if you’re going down that route.

Brady has played numerous games for Ireland under MON at left full. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 3:34pm

In fairness, liverpool had a lot more guile to begin with so it is hardly a valid comparison. Adding guile would massively improve us. 

I know SK can't magic up players from nowhere but fear we will be far too one dimensional with that line up. I admire your positivity but think the likes of Cullen, Knight and Molumby as much as I like them are not going to be an improvement or upgrade on Whelan, Hendrick and McCarthy. As for Browne, I would see him as a squad player for us.

I’d agree pound for pound those 3 are not now not better then Hendrick Hourihane McCarthy Browne Arter etc. I think all 3 have the potential to go a bit higher then the above bar McCarthy who at his best was linked with top clubs and the problem is the established lads blatantly haven’t  performed for us. 

I’d rather give these guys the reference experience now ahead of watching repeat offenders offer up the same as they have been doing for years.

Of course Kenny as manager may think different and short term I get that. Not as simple as I’m making out from his perspective.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 3:36pm
Don’t agree with avfc on much, but Brady has played lb plenty of times and done pretty well. Don’t think he’s better than Stevens though.

Brady is the only player we have with any composure in the final third, so we would probably be best playing him on the right or #10
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 3:38pm

I’d agree on Liverpool id offer up Brighton as a more realistic alternative. Signing/have players with decent CVs they have a decent squad on paper who play aesthetically pleasing possession football but are so passive they really lack aggressiveness/energy. 

Decent players like Bissouma who are high energy couldn’t even get into the team ahead of the likes of Dale Stephens last year. 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 3:52pm
Kenny has to play Hendrick, Hourihane and Brady against Serbia. End of. Cause more important than football ability, or past performances or whether your even the right for man the job....... is EXPERIENCE! Experience when it comes to the senior international team is the cornerstone criteria for any team selection. 

The problem with Josh Cullen, Jason Knight or Molumby is that unlike Hendrick, they just don't have the experience required to go missing over 90 minutes. It's actually stood to Jeff, as his experience has meant that he's been able to consistently keep this up over the best part of 4 years now. Not to mention, he's taken that ability into club form. And onto his newest club Newcastle. You don't learn over night. That takes experience. God Bless Jeff.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 4:02pm
I would play a defensively strong side against Serbia because it's a draw would be a good start and then look to bring in the more creative players against Lux.

So Hourihane would not start against Serbia, it appears that Kenny is quite fond of Hourihane.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 4:02pm

What positivity.  I dont have much as I think the majority of our players are average lower premier league or championship players.   Any players that have guile do not have the pace or physical attributes at the highest level to show that guile.  We dont have  a wes or even an andy reid ffs.   

I cant name one player gas guile other than Jack Byrne.  
AKA pedantic kunt
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Don’t agree with avfc on much, but Brady has played lb plenty of times and done pretty well. Don’t think he’s better than Stevens though.

Brady is the only player we have with any composure in the final third, so we would probably be best playing him on the right or #10

One of the reasons why really picked up form in 2015/16 under O’Neill was Brady at LB and Coleman at RB. 2 decent outlets to attack which we lacked in midfield for years prior and they did go forward. Both lads involved in important goals for us. 

Edited by kevin100 - 23 Jan 2021 at 4:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 61>
  Share Topic