You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Josh Cullen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 61>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 10:53pm
Played 90 minutes tonight as Anderlecht drew against Zulte-Waregem.
Sponsored Links

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 11:20pm
Good stuff. Anderlecht are a big club. Ive always liked the idea of our players playing in different leagues. When you look at the majority of national sides  apart from the big ones you see players scattered about in leagues all over. Does them good i reckon. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 1:19am
Positive for him is he’s not an attacker or a defender in this team. They seem to struggle to break down teams consistently and when they do like tonight they have developed a habit of not holding out leads/conceding late goals.

From looking at the respective squads in the League they have comfortably the Top 3 squads in Belgium and I suspect if Kompany can’t get a squeeze out of them soon he’s in trouble. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 1:27am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Good stuff. Anderlecht are a big club. Ive always liked the idea of our players playing in different leagues. When you look at the majority of national sides  apart from the big ones you see players scattered about in leagues all over. Does them good i reckon. 

The fact Cullen can go from playing with Charlton really a bottom 6 championship team or West Ham as likely a real fringe player at best to getting a move with the biggest club in Belgium shows the sort of moves these lads can get if they go out foreign. 

Hope it works out for him I’d be optimistic it will as he’s absolutely tailor made for that League where possession/ball playing would be the be all and end all. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 9:10am
'Out foreign' gets me every time!LOL Where in Killinaskully do you live? They obviously watch a lot of Belgian football in the bar there...
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 9:37am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

'Out foreign' gets me every time!LOL Where in Killinaskully do you live? They obviously watch a lot of Belgian football in the bar there...

I know I know. Just a natural habit apologies. 😂  

Haven’t seen much Belgian football but from what I have seen yes possession/ball playing is a big deal.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 5:09pm

LOLLOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

I know I know. Just a natural habit apologies. 😂  

Haven’t seen any Belgian football but from what I assume, because I understand out foreign, being an intellectual internationalist,  yes possession/ball playing is a big deal.
I feel this is more accurate.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 4:45am
Another 90 minutes under his belt this week. Another draw for Anderlecht who are in 8th but just 3 points off 4th. They seem to be drawing a lot.

He looked pretty decent in the highlights, taking up good defensive positions, moving the ball quickly forwards when he gets it. Hopefully he can get some consistency going and push them up the league 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 8:14am
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Another 90 minutes under his belt this week. Another draw for Anderlecht who are in 8th but just 3 points off 4th. They seem to be drawing a lot.

He looked pretty decent in the highlights, taking up good defensive positions, moving the ball quickly forwards when he gets it. Hopefully he can get some consistency going and push them up the league 

That's good to hear. I can never quite understand why he isn't given more of a look in with Ireland. He's looked decent in the few opportunities he's been given.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 9:53am
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

That's good to hear. I can never quite understand why he isn't given more of a look in with Ireland. He's looked decent in the few opportunities he's been given.

It's a hard one to fathom. He has looked our most composed midfielder in his limited appearances in green. Kenny hasn't been selecting him in his original squads while Jazzy Jeff & Conor Hourihane play ghost for 90 mins Confused
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 12:19pm
I think Cullen has had something of a breakout in the last month or so. He was probably worthy of more game time during his Charlton spell. Also, it wasn't helped that Declan Rice took his spot at West Ham, when Cullen had actually been in line for that role a couple of years before Rice.

Its good to see though.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 12:42pm
I agree Cullen looks a decent player for the holding role in that he gets around the pitch well, can pick a pass and looks comfortable on the ball.  I'd have him in the squad, no question, and knocking on the door of the starting 11.

But for all of that, he won't remarkably change our team.  He's a good player but if he was any better, he'd have signed for a better club/league.
Pains me to say it but we have a selection of midfielders who are all much of a muchness, and it's easy to tar the regulars and big-up those we've seen less of.

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

It's a hard one to fathom. He has looked our most composed midfielder in his limited appearances in green. Kenny hasn't been selecting him in his original squads while Jazzy Jeff & Conor Hourihane play ghost for 90 mins Confused

Ah that's a bit unfair on Hendrick in fairness. He's been better than you're making out. Hourihane has had dangerous spells as well but can't seem to sustain it over 90 minutes and is prone to making suicide passes.

I'm not convinced Cullen is the answer. He's been good in one and a half games against pretty poor opposition - and one of those matches was a friendly.

Even Arter looked half-decent in a couple of games a long time ago and look how that turned out. People always think there's a player on the periphery who will immediately improve things but our issues won't have such a convenient fix. The main thing is Kenny needs to be more flexible and improve his game management.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 2:53pm
Unfortunately true. It’s the one area we have consistently lacked quality for the last 15 years. Hendrick and Hourihane are square pegs in round holes there also.

I think we need a Qatar style recruitment drive in the favelas.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 6:14pm
I'd be fairly confident that Knight and probably also Molumby will come good for us in central midfield within the next year or two. They're not quite there yet though so we're just going to have to tough it out with what we have for the next campaign.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I'd be fairly confident that Knight and probably also Molumby will come good for us in central midfield within the next year or two. They're not quite there yet though so we're just going to have to tough it out with what we have for the next campaign.

I'd agree with that, Jason knight is 19 and looks very good in a poor Derby team. I think he's going to be in the premier league before he's 21. 

Molumby will get better when playing regularly again. I think a loan move is a cert in January.

For me smallbone looks a fantastic player, he's been out with a thigh injury for a while but he is definitely a really good player.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 9:16pm
Cullen at Anderlecht hopefully becomes a regular for them. 

Knight Molumby and Smallbone are 3 talented lads it’s just woeful frustrating the latter 2 even allowing for Smallbones injuries have gotten no game time. 

Ronan Coventry (should really be on loan) Hodge back fit and playing, Connell Killkenny (should also both be on loan) Taylor in particular for Peterborough has burst on the scene all 22 and under. Not all of them will develop into top flight footballers but if 3 do off that list then that would be class. 

It’s easy to forget too we have had such a dearth of quality coming through in the last decade it’s easy to fall into the trap of using that as a stick to beat these lads with by putting too much pressure on them to make up for it. 

You see this with the young attackers as well particularly recently. You have to be patient with them these next few years.

Edited by kevin100 - 10 Dec 2020 at 9:17pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 61>
  Share Topic