Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Josh Cullen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 61>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

In his defence, it takes very little to rob you of your confidence regarding Irish players, and a disproportionate amount to gain it...
Does it? I tend to stay as objective as possible, something a few people, yourself included, could do with trying
Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 1:54pm
He played over 50 games for a Bradford side that reached the L1 play-off finals last season, he's consistently made the bench for West Ham since returning from his recent loan spell, and he's been one of our stand-out under-21 performers for the past few years. More than that, if you took the time to watch him a few times you'd see that he's a technically competent, tidy, and combative player.

But yeah, a rough couple of months at a basket-case club and you're already itching to write him off.... There's objectivity for you
We're decent enough..
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:05pm

He played over 50 games for a Bradford side that reached the L1 play-off finals last season, he's consistently made the bench for West Ham since returning from his recent loan spell, and he's been one of our stand-out under-21 performers for the past few years. More than that, if you took the time to watch him a few times you'd see that he's a technically competent, tidy, and combative player.

But yeah, a rough couple of months at a basket-case club and you're already itching to write him off.... There's objectivity for you
LOL
I have watched him several times, including live. He is indeed tidy, but he has, when playing higher than League One, been unable to get into games at all. He is technically sound, but as of now he has shown little higher than that level in the opportunities he has had.
I am not ''itching to write him off", I am merely tempering expectations. I am aware, as my original post alluded to, that Bolton are a mess and that his age may well have been a factor, but it isn't unreasonable to assume that if a player struggled there that they may struggle to hit the ground running in an international team that is lacking in cohesion, with a manager who is fast losing the backing of the supporters.
There is no doubt that he is worthy of inclusion and that he may well take to international football like the proverbial duck to orange sauce, but I wouldn't be getting too carried away.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:49pm
No one is getting carried away though. They're simply optimistic about the prospect of a talented young player getting a call up. No one is calling for him to be an instant starter, or suggesting that he is single-handedly going to alter our fortunes.
We're decent enough..
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:51pm
I suppose I would compare him to Declan Rice. Rice has become an important part of the WHU setup since the end of last season. Cullen on the other hand has been on a succession of loans, and has not added to his PL tally of appearances since 2015.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:54pm

No one is getting carried away though. They're simply optimistic about the prospect of a talented young player getting a call up. No one is calling for him to be an instant starter, or suggesting that he is single-handedly going to alter our fortunes.
The previous post to mine suggested that we need to build a team around our talented young players, in a thread about Josh Cullen. That implied a certain element of getting carried away.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I suppose I would compare him to Declan Rice. Rice has become an important part of the WHU setup since the end of last season. Cullen on the other hand has been on a succession of loans, and has not added to his PL tally of appearances since 2015.

He's been on two loans over the course of two years? Hardly a loan-move merry-go-round
We're decent enough..
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 4:51pm
Making his second PL appearance. Brought on at WH.
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 7:43pm
Good to see him feature today
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 2:19pm
Pellegrini has reportedly rejected the opportunity to send him out on loan because he sees him as part of his first team plans for the season. Excellent news if it's true.
We're decent enough..
GreenRoots View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenRoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 11:59am
Awaiting to hear whether Pellegrini will allow him to move to Charlton on loan, Josh spoke to Charlton manager Bowyer yesterday and happy to join, although Charlton have offered a take it or leave it regarding loan payments as they are in such a mess financially, would be great for both clubs imho.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 12:19pm
Was hoping he would get a Championship move.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 11:38am
Joins Chartlon on loan.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 7:31pm
Looks like he had a decent debut for Charlton yesterday. Set up the winner with a corner https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.football.london/charlton-athletic-fc/arsenal-bielik-charlton-talking-points-15099041.amp
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 9:23am
How’s this lad getting on? 22 now.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

gally View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 10:04am
I am a Charlton fan, and he is loved by all, just returned from approx 8 weeks out after a shoulder injury, played yesterday and played very well, cant remember him not playing well, very industrious player, only on loan to Charlton who would love to keep him beyond this year, very unlikely even if we get promoted, keep an eye on this fella.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 10:05am
Back playing with Charlton after his shoulder injury.
We're decent enough..
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 10:33am
Originally posted by gally gally wrote:

I am a Charlton fan, and he is loved by all, just returned from approx 8 weeks out after a shoulder injury, played yesterday and played very well, cant remember him not playing well, very industrious player, only on loan to Charlton who would love to keep him beyond this year, very unlikely even if we get promoted, keep an eye on this fella.

Clap
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 61>
  Share Topic