Josh Cullen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 61>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 10:54am
Last night would concern me about Cullen's range. The short and lateral passing was a major issue in the first half, and I think a large part of why we ended up 0-0 at half time. If you're playing a CDM, you want a player who can spring a horizontal pass in order to release a player (Knight had the freedom of the right hand side in the first half). Simply acting as a 'water-carrier' only does so much for you.
Sponsored Links

SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 10:50am
Wonder if Luca Connell is a potential deputy?
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 10:40am
Cullen was part of the problem last night.
Moved the ball so slowly, and laterally and then with extra touches.
All so lethargic.

You could see in the 2nd half, when Johnston came on with impetus, how we could get at them readily by moving the ball faster.
Cullen was still trying to slow it down (and don't get me started on Hendrick doing his sideways passes routine for his cameo) each time.  I get that in a match where you are up against it to give the defence time to set and whatnot, but in last night's game it was redundant behaviour.

The lack of a deputy for him is a worry.

Edited by Fozz - 20 Jun 2023 at 10:41am
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 10:34am
I think Cullens worst games for us, on Friday he was very very poor, marginally better last night but you could really tell he hadn’t played in nearly a month. Looked like mentally he was already on the beach. 
He’s been so consistent for us up to this point it really shows how important it is he’s in form. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2023 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

When multiple players under-perform at the same time, the focus is on the management team. Were both Cullen and Molumby voted fans player of the year for their clubs?

Fair, they were definitely not helped by the tactical set up which left them overly exposed, but Cullen in particular did seem miles off the pace even allowing for that, he was struggling to complete 6 yard passes.

Molumby was at least trying to put himself about and we have seen similar from him in the past, but that level of performance from Cullen was a first.

Edited by John Nice - 18 Jun 2023 at 5:29pm
Idah Dream!
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2023 at 3:01pm
When multiple players under-perform at the same time, the focus is on the management team. Were both Cullen and Molumby voted fans player of the year for their clubs?
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2023 at 2:55pm
Yeah, I recall a couple of occasions where we had a throw in and Cullen was near enough to receive but just kind of turned his back and faced away. Very unusual. Maybe he's exhausted after such a long season (started 48 games for Burnley, +4 for Ireland)?

Would be a worry going forward, the step up to the PL will be very physically demanding for him, he's not the biggest or fastest. And we haven't blooded a backup either.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2023 at 1:46pm
Molumby and Cullen both had their worst games in an Ireland shirt vs Greece, couldn't have happened at a more inopportune time.
We're decent enough..
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2023 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

His worst performance for us, hide and seek champion last night..

So many times Collins had the ball and as he looked up there was no pass for him into midfield so he was forced to go on a couple of runs into no man’s land.

Molumby similar, crying out for a midfielder that actually wants the ball. 

Surprised this hasn't been called up sooner. 

Just watching the game again on the RTE player and he NEVER shows for the ball which is one of his stronger attributes. Standing there with the backs looking to play through the middle and he he's standing in the middle of the pitch, static, finger pointing and concede possession easily. 

Very disappointing performance.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

Yes poorest performance  from Cullen in an Irish Jersey. Our whole starting midfield were very poor.
Molumby just didn't show up at all. 
Smallbone had some good set piece deliveries, and he was involved in some of our limited attacking plays but he didn't do enough of his all round midfield duties. I thought it was a big ask for him in his first competitive start away to Greece.
I would still like to see Smallbone start again on Monday tho, maybe with knight and Cullen in midfield. Smallbone is still one of our best set piece takers and creative midfielders available to us.

Indeed. no point throwing the baby out with the bath water. I agree Smallbone should start Monday, he looked nervy last night and a bit lightweight, but he still had some nice touches. I thought maybe the occasion got the better of him. He still looks to be part of the potential solution to our inept midfield.

I was thinking the same that the occasion  got to him, plus the fact his experienced midfield partners under performed and didn't stamp any authority on the match. 
Gibraltar on Monday  will be a totally different match. We are going to have a lot more possession which will suit smallbone better.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

Yes poorest performance  from Cullen in an Irish Jersey. Our whole starting midfield were very poor.
Smallbone had some good set piece deliveries, and he was involved in some of our limited attacking plays but he didn't do enough of his all round midfield duties. I thought it was a big ask for him in his first competitive start away to Greece.
I would still like to see Smallbone start again on Monday tho, maybe with knight and Cullen in midfield. Smallbone is still one of our best set piece takers and creative midfielders available to us.

Indeed. no point throwing the baby out with the bath water. I agree Smallbone should start Monday, he looked nervy last night and a bit lightweight, but he still had some nice touches. I thought maybe the occasion got the better of him. He still looks to be part of the potential solution to our inept midfield.
Idah Dream!
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 7:04pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Uncharacteristically poor the last two games.

More credit in the bank in the Kenny era than virtually anyone. Premier League football should improve him further. 

Hopefully! My fear is he gets found out at that level, he does everything quite well, I'm just not sure if that's enough in the big League, we'll see next season - I'd certainly prefer him in there having a go, but I'm yet to be convinced.
Idah Dream!
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 3:49pm
Uncharacteristically poor the last two games.

More credit in the bank in the Kenny era than virtually anyone. Premier League football should improve him further. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 10:22am
While it’s great he’s back in the “Prem” with Burnley,that move has paid off etc to my eyes who’s gone backwards for us in the year since he’s moved from Anderlecht. 

Last night was his worst performance by a distance. 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 10:18am
His worst performance for us, hide and seek champion last night..

So many times Collins had the ball and as he looked up there was no pass for him into midfield so he was forced to go on a couple of runs into no man’s land.

Molumby similar, crying out for a midfielder that actually wants the ball. 
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Cullen wins both the fans and players player of the season at Burnley.
Looking forward to seeing him in the PL next year. Aside from the mistake vs France he's hardly put a foot wrong for us.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 9:33pm
Cullen wins both the fans and players player of the season at Burnley.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 61>
  Share Topic