FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Josh Cullen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 61>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 1:19pm
Cullen had a poor window, hopefully the step up to the PL will reinvigorate and improve him, but that is no foregone conclusion. Fingers crossed! 

There are a few young lads coming through, but I wouldnt consider any of them sure things to make the step up to international football any time soon.

Edited by John Nice - 20 Jun 2023 at 1:20pm
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Cullen has been on the go almost for a year straight now. Whilst most off our players were undercooked coming into this, I think it was the opposite for Cullen. Yes I know the championship season ended a few weeks back, but he must have played 60 odd games this season. To me, looks like he needs a rest

Rodri and Modrić had grueling seasons as well tbf.

Still putting on clinics for their nations. And they both played at The World Cup. Cullen had 3 weeks rest during that.

Because they're world class talents. Even an off day for them is better than anything Cullen would produce.
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Cullen has been on the go almost for a year straight now. Whilst most off our players were undercooked coming into this, I think it was the opposite for Cullen. Yes I know the championship season ended a few weeks back, but he must have played 60 odd games this season. To me, looks like he needs a rest

Rodri and Modrić had grueling seasons as well tbf.

Still putting on clinics for their nations. And they both played at The World Cup. Cullen had 3 weeks rest during that.

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 12:56pm
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 12:27pm
He was too slow in the 1st half, was much improved in the 2nd half.
We're decent enough..
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Himself and Molumby might be ok against the bigger nations, where we are defending, but in games we are looking to win, it is too limited, I have been saying this for years now (while recognising that Molumby has improved over the last season). In my view it should be one or the other, but not both. I'd prefer Knight if he gets a move and plays as an 8 regularly or Smallbone who I feel will improve with experience in there alongside Cullen.

In the context of the rebuild, the midfield is lagging far behind any other position on the pitch, and in particular central midfield. I don't think the players we have got there are nearly creative enough to make many clearcut chances. Last night's goals came from McClean's crosses into the box, while the other was a poachers goal. Friday's came from a corner and a flicked header from EF.

Agreed and tbf to management, I just dont think there are players quite ready yet to change that, Smallbone is a work in progress and we should see the likes of Coventry, Hodge, Connell, Taylor continue to make progress. I have high hopes for Azaz and obviously Andy Moran looks a top prospect. Might be another year or two before some of these lads can assert their case though.

Worth noting Knight (younger than Smallbone) and Molumby are also pretty young in international terms (e.g. Dont think Greece had a single player in their starting XI under 25 on Friday night).

Plenty of young midfielders across the European nations. We're not unique.

The Netherlands had Simmons (20) and Wiefer (23) starting both Nations League games.

Spain had Gavi (18) starting. Pedri (20) would be starting if not injured.

France played with a Camavinga (20) & Tchouaméni (23) pivot vs Greece.

Frattesi (23) started for Italy vs The Netherlands.

England had Rice (24) and TAA (24) in a midfield three with Henderson.

Northern Ireland played with a midfield 5 which contained Shea Charles (19), Hume (21) and McCann (23).

Croatia, Italy and Germany generally have the most experienced/oldest midfields in Europe.

Croatia's best trio is Brozović (30), Kovačić (29) and Modrić (37)

Italy's best trio is Veratti (30), Barella (26) and one of Tonali (23)/Frattesi (23). Jorginho (31) and Cristante (28) are options also.

Germany have Gündoğan (32), Can (29), Goretzka (28), Kimmich (28) and Brandt (27) as their main midfield options.

Greece have always been a football nation that opts for experience. Their Euro 2004 winning side was the same. The majority of the squad was 27 or older. 

notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 11:50am
I think he's had a ropey end to his season but let's not forget he's been our best player for the past few years. Very rarely put a foot wrong and to me looks like he needs the rest. Hoping he plays a role for Burnley now in the Prem. 

I think he was actually trying some passes that are beyond him last night, yes he was slowing things down too much but then the odd time he'd try and thread a ball through the middle or a clipped ball to Knight or McClean making a run into the box and they didn't come off. My biggest frustration with all the midfield last night was ignoring Ferguson when he came short in that first half. There was at least two occasions he dropped off and had plenty of space if the ball was played into him, but the midfielder just took an extra touch (or three) and eventually played it back to the centre-half or wing back. 

Josh is still our best option in the deep-midfielder role imo but the question of who plays along side him is a big one that's never really been answered. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 11:46am
Played an awful lot of football last season compared to most of our players. The scheduling of these games in mid June was beyond stupid off the back of what was already an extended season with the World Cup. I'd judge him on his performances for Ireland overall, which have largely been excellent, rather than just this last week.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Luder Luder wrote:

Are we sure Cullen is all he's cracked up to be??? He made the mistake for the France goal, was brutal against Greece and guilty of a few mistakes last night, not even talking about the slow passing discussed above.

I hope it's just the long break he's had and that he doesn't end up getting found out when he gets to the PL next season.

He was overtaken by Rice at both club and country level, even though he had been on the scene for longer. Next season, it will be his first PL appearance in roughly 5 years. In a perfect world, Rice would have stayed on, and Cullen would offer very solid, defensive style backup.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 11:42am
Hard to really have a go at Josh with my Claret glasses on but looking forward to see what he can do in the Prem next season as it's been a very long season for him and he needs time off to relax . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 11:40am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Completed more than one pass every minute* last night - https://twitter.com/irish_abroad/status/1670894832015888386
*but it was against Gibraltar
passes completed is one of the most useless stats in football
Luder View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 11:39am
Are we sure Cullen is all he's cracked up to be??? He made the mistake for the France goal, was brutal against Greece and guilty of a few mistakes last night, not even talking about the slow passing discussed above.

I hope it's just the long break he's had and that he doesn't end up getting found out when he gets to the PL next season.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Himself and Molumby might be ok against the bigger nations, where we are defending, but in games we are looking to win, it is too limited, I have been saying this for years now (while recognising that Molumby has improved over the last season). In my view it should be one or the other, but not both. I'd prefer Knight if he gets a move and plays as an 8 regularly or Smallbone who I feel will improve with experience in there alongside Cullen.

In the context of the rebuild, the midfield is lagging far behind any other position on the pitch, and in particular central midfield. I don't think the players we have got there are nearly creative enough to make many clearcut chances. Last night's goals came from McClean's crosses into the box, while the other was a poachers goal. Friday's came from a corner and a flicked header from EF.

Agreed and tbf to management, I just dont think there are players quite ready yet to change that, Smallbone is a work in progress and we should see the likes of Coventry, Hodge, Connell, Taylor continue to make progress. I have high hopes for Azaz and obviously Andy Moran looks a top prospect. Might be another year or two before some of these lads can assert their case though.

Worth noting Knight (younger than Smallbone) and Molumby are also pretty young in international terms (e.g. Dont think Greece had a single player in their starting XI under 25 on Friday night).
Idah Dream!
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Cullen was part of the problem last night.
Moved the ball so slowly, and laterally and then with extra touches.
All so lethargic.

You could see in the 2nd half, when Johnston came on with impetus, how we could get at them readily by moving the ball faster.
Cullen was still trying to slow it down (and don't get me started on Hendrick doing his sideways passes routine for his cameo) each time.  I get that in a match where you are up against it to give the defence time to set and whatnot, but in last night's game it was redundant behaviour.

The lack of a deputy for him is a worry.

Agree on Cullen there. He was slow and every extra touch slowed things down even more. plus his passing was off again. He tends to be knocked off the ball easily enough also. Midfield is such a problem for us right now. We defo need to look at more options if we can. 
I love beer gardens
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 11:19am
Completed more than one pass every minute* last night - https://twitter.com/irish_abroad/status/1670894832015888386
*but it was against Gibraltar
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 11:11am

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 11:05am
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Wonder if Luca Connell is a potential deputy?

It's possible, and he had a good season in L1 there but can he go higher?
We need our players playing at a better level than that.

Kilkenny was another option but has fallen away completely while Coventry is far closer and could well feature in a squad next season if he does well at club level.

Hodge is another option who may get elevated next season if he finds a club and does well.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 11:01am
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 61>
  Share Topic