Josh Cullen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 64>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 4:26pm
Cullen is one of those players we often have that performs well in the Championship but not quite Premier League standard. I'm sure he'll be a good asset next season in the championship again. 
He's the best we've got for the position anyway, trying to shoehorn Azaz in to that role is ridiculous, he's a totally different player whose strengths are suited to playing just behind the striker where he was dangerous.  I don't think Knight suits the deeper central midfield role but Azaz vastly less so. 
Cullen and Smallbone going ahead will do us ok for a few years, even though it won't be one of the stronger areas of the team
Sponsored Links

10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Cullen is the new scapegoat because he's not threading balls between the lines, he's not that type of player and is the best of a bad bunch.

Molumby shouldn't near in the team imo, he's very limited and lacks discipline. I'd love to see Azaz given a chance, neat and tidy on the ball and has an eye for a goal.

Cullen strolled through the Championship last year and before that he absolutely excelled at Anderlecht. 

Hasn’t been smooth sailing for him this year but he would easily start for a few teams in any of the top 5 European Leagues. He’s better than a “Championship” footballer. 

He's fine out of possession for us but with the ball we need more from him - too conservative when in possession for us especially when under pressure. Not saying he has to hit 40 yard diagonals every time he has the ball but a few forward passes wouldn't go amiss. Question is does he have the ability to do so and international level?
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 4:03pm

Cullen is the new scapegoat because he's not threading balls between the lines, he's not that type of player and is the best of a bad bunch.

Molumby shouldn't near in the team imo, he's very limited and lacks discipline. I'd love to see Azaz given a chance, neat and tidy on the ball and has an eye for a goal.

Cullen strolled through the Championship last year and before that he absolutely excelled at Anderlecht. 

Hasn’t been smooth sailing for him this year but he would easily start for a few teams in any of the top 5 European Leagues. He’s better than a “Championship” footballer. 

Edited by kevin100 - 02 Apr 2024 at 4:03pm
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by nirvana2024 nirvana2024 wrote:

Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

Azaz should be defo in the team. Cullen & Molumby are both average. Smallbone has shown ability at Southampton which he has yet to show for us - for that reason it would be ridiculous to give up on him after seven caps.

Smallbone showing ability in the chanpionship is no big deal  The championship is ranked the eleventh best league in the world .It is miles behind the premier league now .

There is nothing that stands out out about Smallbone . He can't pass, he can't shoot , he can't evade pressure .

Azaz can do all those things. I think he could have wes hoolihan type ability. We will never know unless we try him in midfield.

Showing ability in the championship is exactly what Azaz is doing.
And if you honestly think the above re Smallbone I dont think there is much more to say.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 3:06pm
He's doing well to play basically every game in a team that famously play a fairly extreme version of possession football if he "can't pass or evade pressure". The 7 G/A this season from holding midfield is a surprise for a guy who "can't shoot" as well.
We're decent enough..
nirvana2024 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nirvana2024 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 2:46pm

Azaz should be defo in the team. Cullen & Molumby are both average. Smallbone has shown ability at Southampton which he has yet to show for us - for that reason it would be ridiculous to give up on him after seven caps.

Smallbone showing ability in the chanpionship is no big deal  The championship is ranked the eleventh best league in the world .It is miles behind the premier league now .

There is nothing that stands out out about Smallbone . He can't pass, he can't shoot , he can't evade pressure .

Azaz can do all those things. I think he could have wes hoolihan type ability. We will never know unless we try him in midfield.
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 12:30pm
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 12:29pm

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 02 Apr 2024 at 12:30pm
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 12:26pm

Giles, Brady an Kerr have more or less said that neither smallbone or cullen are good enough .
What did they more or less say about Smallbone and Cullen? 
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nirvana2024 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 12:11pm

Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

I thought Cullen had a good window too.
I thought Cullen and Smallbone played well together against Belgium that would probably be my start central midfield pair for the next match.
I thought the Cullen/Knight duo didn't work.
We all know our midfield is the weak link of this squad and Cullen is no world beater but he is the best of what we currently have ATM to play one of the deep central midfielders. 
Molumby is injured, Taylor just returning from injury, Hodge not starting much much at QPR. We have a few no 8/10s in the squad Smallbone, Knight, McGrath and Azaz but I don't think any of them can be an out and out 6/defensive/enforcer midfielder.

Neither Cullen or Smallbone are good enough to be in our starting eleven. Its interesting that you mention Molumby . I would have him in the team as he is brilliant at closing down players . This was particularly evident in the Ukraine match where we harried the Ukraine midfielders and he allowed us to win battles in midfield .

Azaz i like, and he should definitely be tried in midfield instead of Smallbone.

Molumby is as conservative (if not worse) on the ball as Cullen. I would be looking for a lot more from a midfielder than their ability to close people down. Would not be giving up Smallbome yet - think he has more to offer.

Yeah but he is really good at it much better than Cullen. What has Smallbone to offer we have see him play seven games and he looked in one of them . I think it was a friendly against one of the minnows .

Azaz is far better on the ball and is more technically gifted . If he isn't tried out in midfield by the next manager it will be criminal.

Giles, Brady an Kerr have more or less said that neither smallbone or cullen are good enough .
They aren't all of a sudden going to transform in to good midfield players under another manager.

While I agree with you in Molumby offering very little on the ball, he offers some thing off the ball that Cullen and Smallbone don't .

Cullen and Smallbone are poor on and off the ball . If they are lacking in those two areas. I don't see why they should be in the staring eleven.
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 11:56am

I thought Cullen and Smallbone played well together against Belgium that would probably be my start central midfield pair for the next match.
We all know our midfield is the weak link of this squad and Cullen is no world beater but he is the best of what we currently have ATM to play one of the deep central midfielders. 
Molumby is injured, Taylor just returning from injury, Hodge not starting much much at QPR. We have a few no 8/10s in the squad Smallbone, Knight, McGrath and Azaz but I don't think any of them can be an out and out 6/defensive/enforcer midfielder.

Neither Cullen or Smallbone are good enough to be in our starting eleven. Its interesting that you mention Molumby . I would have him in the team as he is brilliant at closing down players . This was particularly evident in the Ukraine match where we harried the Ukraine midfielders and he allowed us to win battles in midfield .

Azaz i like, and he should definitely be tried in midfield instead of Smallbone.

Molumby is as conservative (if not worse) on the ball as Cullen. I would be looking for a lot more from a midfielder than their ability to close people down. Would not be giving up Smallbome yet - think he has more to offer.

Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nirvana2024 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 11:50am

darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 11:18am

Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nirvana2024 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by razzmatazaz razzmatazaz wrote:

Dunne is not an International level RB because of one screamer and Cullen remains a limited player despite a rare strong performance at this level. 

One swallow doesn't make a summer.

Exactly people need a reality check . Serious football pundits such as Brady , giles and Kerr have said that neither Cullen or Smallbone are good enough.
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nirvana2024 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Belter of a goal and assist today, and should have had a second assist with a brilliant cross to Foster which he somehow missed.

Pity he's apparently not good enough to play for Ireland though.

He isn't. He can't get turned on the ball to make a forward pass, and unless we find a midfielder to do that, we aren't going to qualify for any tournaments be it now or in the future.

I had hope for that kid Moran at Blackburn but he still plays football with a kids mentality . Anytime he is pressed he hides from the ball and is a ghost in games . Unless he he grows a pair and decides to take the ball under pressure he won't make it at Brighton .

I hope the next manager tries Azaz in midfield . I think he is the only midfielder we have who possibly could take the ball on the half turn and make a forward pass.

Cheers Foden, himself and Moran will be playing LSL in no time I'm sure.

No Cullen is a decent championship player . Moran will need another loan because he hasn't been a success at Blackburn . He has very little chance of breaking in to the Brighton team without another loan.
razzmatazaz View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razzmatazaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 10:19pm
Dunne is not an International level RB because of one screamer and Cullen remains a limited player despite a rare strong performance at this level. 

One swallow doesn't make a summer.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 10:16pm

Belter of a goal and assist today, and should have had a second assist with a brilliant cross to Foster which he somehow missed.

He isn't. He can't get turned on the ball to make a forward pass, and unless we find a midfielder to do that, we aren't going to qualify for any tournaments be it now or in the future.

I had hope for that kid Moran at Blackburn but he still plays football with a kids mentality . Anytime he is pressed he hides from the ball and is a ghost in games . Unless he he grows a pair and decides to take the ball under pressure he won't make it at Brighton .

I hope the next manager tries Azaz in midfield . I think he is the only midfielder we have who possibly could take the ball on the half turn and make a forward pass.

Cheers Foden, himself and Moran will be playing LSL in no time I'm sure.
We're decent enough..
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nirvana2024 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 10:08pm

I thought he was one of our best players in the window, he's definitely a good footballer. He's the new scapegoat for our fans

He is not. Giles or Brady don't rate him either. Two guys who really know football . Smallbone is no good either Kerr said as much.

The way i see it our only hope is to try Azaz in midfield . I honestly think he is our only midfielder who is capable of getting turned on the ball under pressure and making a forward pass.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 64>
  Share Topic