You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The "What I learned today" thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121122123124125 180>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Don’t know where to post this so just throwing it in here.

When did Palmerstown become Palmerston? 

I'm from the area.  Basically it was always Palmerstown growing up and all the signs were Palmerstown.  Then some person apparently discovered some old documents or something which stated its name was Palmerston.  They claimed there was a vote on whether to persevere with Palmerstown or adopt 'the original' name of Palmerston. We never got anything in the door about it and they claimed the Palmerston vote won.  I'm very dubious about that.  For a good few years people were using electrical tape to add the w to Palmerston to make it Palmerstown on the road signs over the N4.   I prefer Palmerstown.  Was always that growing up and certainly since the area was built up with housing estates.

That vote was pretty high profile and covered in all the national news outlets! Palmerstown won it 

Was it?  There was a tiny amount of publicity for a 2nd vote.  Certainly wasn't main headline news.  I'm not sure what the official name is as the signs still say Palmerston.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 3:17pm
Just checked it there and indo, times and journal all have articles on it, remember it being on the radio news at the time as well 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 3:27pm

Just checked it there and indo, times and journal all have articles on it, remember it being on the radio news at the time as well 

Googled it there.  Seems to have got a bit of publicity after a 2nd vote in 2015.  The 1st vote went through without any publicity if I recall in 2009.

Looked it up there.  A typical Irish solution to an Irish problem.  Officially the village is now called Palmerstown once again but the surrounding areas of Palmerstown retain the new name Palmerston despite residents not wanting that name. Only in The EIRE could Paddy come up with such a stupid fudge.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 6:03pm
Some amount of roads named after Cromwell. Surprised they've never been changed.

Edited by horsebox - 03 Aug 2020 at 6:03pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 6:31pm
it’s a focking nightmare getting parking in Howth
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 6:35pm

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Don’t know where to post this so just throwing it in here.

When did Palmerstown become Palmerston? 

I'm from the area.  Basically it was always Palmerstown growing up and all the signs were Palmerstown.  Then some person apparently discovered some old documents or something which stated its name was Palmerston.  They claimed there was a vote on whether to persevere with Palmerstown or adopt 'the original' name of Palmerston. We never got anything in the door about it and they claimed the Palmerston vote won.  I'm very dubious about that.  For a good few years people were using electrical tape to add the w to Palmerston to make it Palmerstown on the road signs over the N4.   I prefer Palmerstown.  Was always that growing up and certainly since the area was built up with housing estates.

That vote was pretty high profile and covered in all the national news outlets! Palmerstown won it 

Was it?  There was a tiny amount of publicity for a 2nd vote.  Certainly wasn't main headline news.  I'm not sure what the official name is as the signs still say Palmerston.

Moved out of Palmerstown when I was 15. Absolutely head wrecking trying to explain whenever I'm asked that the road signs are wrong and it's not actually Palmerston.

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

today? wouldnt have thought so as weather not great. 

can be a pain in the hole alright but if you go down the pier towards the oar house and aqua there is always parking. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

today? wouldnt have thought so as weather not great. 

can be a pain in the hole alright but if you go down the pier towards the oar house and aqua there is always parking. 
Took about 20 minutes today,finally got one up near Abbey Tavern...big crowd out there. ****ish traffic getting in as well
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Flanno7hi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanno7hi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Some amount of roads named after Cromwell. Surprised they've never been changed.

In Ireland? 
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 12:02am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Moved out of Palmerstown when I was 15. Absolutely head wrecking trying to explain whenever I'm asked that the road signs are wrong and it's not actually Palmerston.

It's not Palmerstown

It's Parmerstown
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Flanno7hi Flanno7hi wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

In Ireland? 

Yes,
The one I would have known is the one in Walkinstown.

There are a fair few Cromwells in Darndale too I think
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 10:39pm
Franck Sauzée the former Hibs centre half was top scorer in the CL for the 92/93 season when at Marseille
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Franck Sauzée the former Hibs centre half was top scorer in the CL for the 92/93 season when at Marseille
He was a midfield maestro with OM

He scored a beauty against Rangers, equalised by Iain Durrant

When Marseille won the final in Munich he was Kaiser Sauze

I can still remember the sheer terror of those group stage matches, there was a distinct feeling that Rangers were fated to reach the final, especially after a bizarre winner against Bruges at Ibrox and coming from behind in both matches against Marseille

Credit to Bruges for accepting the fix against Marseille in the final game, who says bribery doesn't have its place in football
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 10:07am
Romario was top score that season on 7; Sauzée still got an impressive 6.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 10:50am
the quiz I did musta had it wrong then 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

the quiz I did musta had it wrong then 
I used a couple of different sites, not just Wikipedia, and all of them have Romario listed. It appears three players had six: Marco Van Basten, Alen Boksic and Sauzée. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 10:38pm
Pete Tong took out a barring order against the legendary Shara Nelson

He must have feared a massive attack by her, wanted protection and got the thin blue lines involved

But I have no unfinished sympathy for him 

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 9:10am
Can somebody explain how Norway got to No.2 in the world in the 90’s ....twice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121122123124125 180>
  Share Topic