You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A United Ireland referendum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Poll Question: Do you want the six counties to be part of the Republic of Ireland
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
49 [71.01%]
20 [28.99%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tippbiffo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Originally posted by Tippbiffo Tippbiffo wrote:

My own feelings are that sport and politics should never be mixed.

One of the dumbest phrases that can be trotted out.

Your right lads
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 8:43pm

Your right lads

and YOU'RE wrong
Tippbiffo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tippbiffo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Your right lads

and YOU'RE wrong
Relax lads. Im not trying to break into the inner circle here. Ill just grab my football from your garden and go.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 9:27pm
Just as well, I don't think you could break into a field.
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by ABFC ABFC wrote:

What sort of town in Newcastle? Staunchly Nationalist?

It is to a majority i'd say, but in saying that you don't find a tri colour greeting you as you drive in or an IRA Mural. Lovely town actually on the coast below the mournes.

I'm from just outside Downpatrick myself (St Patricks resting place and first chapel), its a nationalist town also bar a street or two for Unionists basically their own wee area. We've one deep republican area where ones from Belfast moved to during the troubles other then that its a peaceful enough place. 

I've a protestant uncle in saying that he enjoys singing along to the Wolfe Tones, i know a good few unionists who are normal enough and moved with the times vote SDLP in elections to try and keep the Seiners out. To the best of my knowledge my protestant family classify themselves as 'Northern Irish' only time I've an issue with a unionist is when Northern Ireland football is mentioned or they try and tell me I'm 'British' 

The army camp is in Ballykinlar, its closed now. My mother is from there and have a lot of relatives who worked there closed last year. Donald Trump is trying to buy it to build a championship golf course to compete with the royal county down last i heard from my uncle. They had a rebuild falls road in that army camp to train on..

SF's referendum next year if it goes ahead could stir the pot big time...

Edited by SByrne24 - 05 May 2015 at 9:40pm
Tippbiffo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tippbiffo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Just as well, I don't think you could break into a field.
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

West Belfast, fair play to you.. do you still have your kneecaps? LOL 

If a yes ever did happen, God help us. I've nothing against Unionists, but the sh*t storm the likes of Nigel Dodds and Robinson would create would be a bloody disaster. I can understand how people from the likes of Clare have 0 idea what occurs up North, tune in on around the 12th of July. Great insight into the 'peaceful and tolerate' society we live in. 

The Irish Open is in Newcastle Co Down this year, not far from were I'm from. I came home this weekend, was driving to Newcastle to met a few old school friends.. on the way to Newcastle theres a delightful wee hamlet called 'Clough' where the signs are for 'IRISH OPEN' on the lampposts they have spray painted the 'Irish' out the signs are a good 15-20 in the air it took a bit of effort to do this. This is the most horrible loyalist hole you can ever imagine, were everyone knows the family who went and butchered a teenager in the troubles for wearing a celtic jersey trying to get a lift home. 
They got a new statue a few years back.. of a farmer with a walking stick. They complained for months about the farmer appearing to hold a hurl.  Dead 

I know Clough well SB, I am from Newcastle Co. Down. They painted a sash on the same farmer as well. I haven't been there in a while so I didn't know that about the Irish Open signs but it does not surprise me one bit. 

You'd love to stick some hurling grip on that farmer one night LOL 
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by ABFC ABFC wrote:

What sort of town in Newcastle? Staunchly Nationalist?

A good place to bring up kids and a good place to die........ not a lot in between

(actually its really isn't a bad spot , if only the frankies would go elsewhere) though good bars are now few and far between

Being from there you probably really don't appreciate how picturequse it is
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
deiseblue View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deiseblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2015 at 11:40pm
Stayed in Newcastle some years ago in a small hotel on the seafront , there was a sign on the public telephone that stated that using Southern Irish coins in this machine was THEFT !
There was no remote control in the room for the tv so I called back down to reception to be told that I could avail of a remote for a refundable deposit of £10 .
dunloybhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunloybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 10:45am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Lived with a lad from Ballymoney in Oz. He was mixed background. But it was strange, if another European asked him where he was from, he'd say he was Irish. Then if an Irish person asked him where he was from he'd say NI, and if a Brit asked him he'd say British, used to wreck my head LOL

Used to have a good few chats with him about the whole thing and he definitely considered himself Northern Irish first. Seemed to have the same "them" and "us" attitude that a lot of people down here have so didnt really have an interest about re-unification. 

Would anyone of the lads up north have many Unionist mate? Moderate ones I'm talking about now, not the nutters. If so, do they or would they ever identify as Irish? 

ballymoney is 5mins away from me. i'll be honest its a town thats deeply loyalist/unionist. its a place that wont ever move forward in time. Its some where i would only ever have a GAA top on me during the day, in the evening time at weekends you run the risk of getting alot abuse both verbal and physical. A group to guys spat at me last summer for having one on.Confused

i have quite a number of friends who are unionist all of whom know my own political views and republican background yet we all get along really well. truth is most people want to get on with their lives here and the majority dont care about about the 'them' and 'us' crap. Most unionist people will identify themselves as Northern Irish rather than british from what ive seen over the last lot of years esp younger people.

theres a whole new generation growing up like my nephew whos 10 that have no idea what all of this voting is about. He asked me on sat when he seen the posters 'whos that boy and whys he on that poster?' i spent 10 mins explaining to him who they all were. He then asked why there was none of that boy (DUP - Ian og Pasiley) in Dunloy? That conversation took alot longer to which he shugged his shoulders and asked 'are we for McDonalds or KFC when we get to Ballymena?' LOL

If anyone watched the NI leaders debate last night you will see why it wont happen. The DUP keep harping on a bout the past and the union while you have Aliance talking about the future. Theres the difference.
put em under pressure!
Wee James View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wee James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 1:35pm
Dunloy i was going with a girl from antrim last year and was nearly embarressed about how little i knew about the north in reality, but compared to my friends i was  gerry adams, its shocking how little they know or seem to care, i asked my ex did she think she ever see a united ireland and she didnt think so in her lifetime,my opinion would be in 30 or 40 years time it will be even less likely, would you agree?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 2:21pm
It will only happen if all the parties in the North buy into resolving legacy and future issues, and clearly they are not, they are polar opposites.

There is waaay too many issues to deal with, even something like the OTR's is clearly a massive issue for Unionism.

The issues around parades, and even something basic and trivial as the democratic decision to fly the Union flag on City hall on designated days. The fact that this decision alone has caused such an outcry amongst the degenerate Loyalists shows how far Northern Ireland has got to go.

No matter happens Unionism will always feel that the Union is under thread from Nationalists and more importantly Republicans and will be very sceptical about anything and everything.

It's a bottomless pit of issues and far too many to discuss.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunloybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Wee James Wee James wrote:

Dunloy i was going with a girl from antrim last year and was nearly embarressed about how little i knew about the north in reality, but compared to my friends i was  gerry adams, its shocking how little they know or seem to care, i asked my ex did she think she ever see a united ireland and she didnt think so in her lifetime,my opinion would be in 30 or 40 years time it will be even less likely, would you agree?

i dont see one occurring in the near future. Theres still an older loyalist/unionist element who have no wish to move forward. They see things like flags, parades, poppies etc as extremely important things in their lives that political parties like the DUP should be focusing on.

Truth be told its these old style parties like the DUP/UUP/TUV that play on the fears of unionist and talk nonsense like 'erosion of protestant culture' and guff like that. I work in East Belfast and trust me the unionist culture is alive and well here! there's no one getting rid of it LOL

Seriously though theres still an unwillingness from unionists to move on. A lot still wont accept that Sinn Fein are anything other than the political wing of the IRA even though the IRA ceased to exist quite some time ago. The past is holding unionism back whereas nationalists are now comfortable to look forward to a future where they wont have to endure the discrimination and hatred that existed in the 70's. 

Will we see a border poll? no. the DUP and UUP would block any chance of it even getting to a referendum for the fear of Christ that it would be close
put em under pressure!
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by dunloybhoy dunloybhoy wrote:

Originally posted by Wee James Wee James wrote:

i dont see one occurring in the near future. Theres still an older loyalist/unionist element who have no wish to move forward. They see things like flags, parades, poppies etc as extremely important things in their lives that political parties like the DUP should be focusing on.

Truth be told its these old style parties like the DUP/UUP/TUV that play on the fears of unionist and talk nonsense like 'erosion of protestant culture' and guff like that. I work in East Belfast and trust me the unionist culture is alive and well here! there's no one getting rid of it LOL

Seriously though theres still an unwillingness from unionists to move on. A lot still wont accept that Sinn Fein are anything other than the political wing of the IRA even though the IRA ceased to exist quite some time ago. The past is holding unionism back whereas nationalists are now comfortable to look forward to a future where they wont have to endure the discrimination and hatred that existed in the 70's. 

Will we see a border poll? no. the DUP and UUP would block any chance of it even getting to a referendum for the fear of Christ that it would be close
That is not a notion confined to the north, lazy retort of government politicians who don't feel like answering hard questions usually.
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunloybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 3:39pm
Yeah ive seen that being mentioned a few times. 

Last night when Nigel Dodds was pushed about his party no apologizing for Jim Wells and Paul McLean (DUP MLA's) and their homophobic rants recently Dodds came back with 'you haven't apologized for the IRA and what they did'.

It was a roll your eyes moment, typical DUP response when cornered and unable to answer and address the issue.
put em under pressure!
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 4:01pm
The main problem, as I see it, is that Sinn Fein in the North do not sufficiently understand the concerns of unionists and loyalists and are never proactive in dealing with them, instead preferring to rile them. I mean, the flegs dispute was brought about, originally, by a bit of political pointscoring, to hell with what the loyalists thought. I'm not saying that Sinn Fein were wrong in seeking to limit the amount of Union Jack flying, I'm just saying they did it without any regard to the effect. What Sinn Fein need to do is try to demonstrate to the unionists, loyalists and protestants that unionists, loyalists and protestants will not be marginalised and discriminated against in a united Ireland. They don't do that, at all, or even try to, as far as I can see. Everyone needs to avoid triumphalism.

The Tory policy towards Ireland prior to the rising was summed up by some with the phrase "kill it with kindness" (I'm not saying it was necessarily true, I'm saying it was characterised by some people as that). That's what Sinn Fein in the North should try to do to Unionism and Loyalism. I'm not saying roll over and give them everything they want, I'm certainly not saying they should pander to the whims of Unionist politicians (who can be an odious bunch, especially the likes of the TUV), or that they should disregard their own constituents, but they should certainly try to project more of a positive, inclusive vision of what republicanism can be, without being sectarian or even overly nationalist. Loyalists in the North need to be convinced of the merits of a secular, not sectarian, republican ideology before they can be convinced of the merits of a nationalist united Ireland. Nationalism should certainly be the smaller of the two ideologies if you want to convince loyalists of the benefits of republicanism. Republicanism doesn't need to be nationalist.

It's not even that you need to turn them to your own side, it's that you need to convince them that they won't be discriminated against such that they would lash out to violence. You need to convince sufficient numbers so that if a minority do turn to violence, they would not have any major degree of support from the majority. If you could convince a good solid 60 to 70% of the loyalists and unionists in the North that a secular, republican, united Ireland would not discriminate against them in any way, and would treat them as equal citizens, even if they wouldn't vote for it, even if they wouldn't vote for those parties, you stand a good chance of them not engaging in violence and a good chance that the vast majority of them won't tacitly endorse violence or violent separatism. There were many nationalists in the North who were not in the IRA and who would never have engaged in violence themselves but who were fed up with discrimination and sympathetic to the cause of the IRA and the way they were going about things. Certainly, there were very few nationalists, at the height of the troubles, actively opposed to the IRA. It's the silent unionists and loyalists you need to convince. That's what needs to be done and it's not what Sinn Fein in the North have ever tried to do, as far as I can see. It's a prerequisite for a non-violent transition to a united Ireland but I don't see it happening any time soon.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not anti-Sinn Fein or anti-nationalism, I just think a different approach is necessary for a united Ireland to come to pass. Inclusivity rather than an "us and them" mentality is necessary and that has not been a Sinn Fein policy.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 4:06pm
As a former Sinn Fein member and still something of a sympathiser, I would have said that is exactly what they were doing
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 4:09pm
Really? It wouldn't be my impression of them, anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
  Share Topic