You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Charlton RIP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 35>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 12:44am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Good interview here. Can't hyperlink it as I'm on the phone.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/jack-charlton-i-didnt-retire-i-got-sacked-really-34424666.html

Had its own thread a few days ago
Sponsored Links

ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 8:15am
Glad to see the stories circulating last year of a major decline in his health seem to be unfounded. Legend
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
noregrets View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noregrets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Good interview here. Can't hyperlink it as I'm on the phone.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/jack-charlton-i-didnt-retire-i-got-sacked-really-34424666.html

A legend and a gentleman
Fozzy B View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozzy B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 1:15pm
checkout the creepy young lurker behind Big Jack
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Fozzy B Fozzy B wrote:

It's enough to give you the chills. Delaney mastering the mass shooter look.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 3:36pm
Jack was unquestionably the best/most important manager we had. He created a zeitgeist that blew other sports out of the water. Literally everyone got involved and enjoyed 1990 in particular. Football became the national game and it can't be estimated how important this was, especially outside the cities. A lot of football folk didn't like how he basically dismantled the underage structures and cut the link between the national team and domestic game, but the results spoke for themselves.

However the end was awful. Jack seemed to be the only person who didn't realise that Anfield was the end of the road and basically forced the FAI into letting him go rather than walk out the front door when the contract was up.
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Fozzy B Fozzy B wrote:

That image behind of JD would give you nightmares
yapmeister View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yapmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 1:41am
Respect for the man bigtime for the job he did, but was on the wane after 1992. Refused to alter his tactics at USA94 when it was all to play for against Norway,3 points in that game would have been a fasttrack into the semi-finals. We had the players to make it but jack stifled them with his tactics. 
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 9:47am
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

However the end was awful. Jack seemed to be the only person who didn't realise that Anfield was the end of the road and basically forced the FAI into letting him go rather than walk out the front door when the contract was up.
Jack always said he would only stay as long as the fans wanted him.

He knew Anfield was the end but had seen our 'easy' draw for WC98 and went mmmmmm.

When he was summonsed to Merrion Square in Christmas week he wasnt happy as he wanted it to wait til January when it would have been ten years - his words.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 10:08am
I don't think you can blame the FAI on this score. We knew he was gone, they were talking about a replacement, Jack had done the tearful goodbye. I don't recall him being summonsed, my memory of that is he called the meeting in which they had to spell out that his contract would not be renewed as previously discussed. As you say, he was trying to be oblique and it didn't work out for him - there was a bit of the Clough about the whole thing.

Sad end to a great era.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 8:40am
New book out in time for Chrimbo. Hopefully not just peddling books for money and it's a decent read.

As one of the true legends of Irish and English football, Jack Charlton was a man both loved and feared, but now the people who have lived with him all of his life introduce the real 'Big Jack' in this brilliant authorised biography which is presented in a foreword by Jack himself For the first time Jack's wife and family, his teammates as a World Cup winner with England in 1966, and his players during his management years with Middlesborough, Sheffield Wednesday, Newcastle and Ireland tell their stories of the man who dominated their lives. Graeme Souness, Chris Waddle, and Peter Beardsley amongst others, are joined by Mick McCarthy, Niall Quinn and the greatest footballers who played under Jack for 10 years as Ireland team boss. This is the most personable, inviting and intimate account of Jack Charlton's life, and the book contains photographs published for the first time from Jack and Pat Charlton's personal collection. 'Jack Charlton: The Authorised Biography' is written by former Daily Mail Northern Football Correspondent, Colin Young.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 8:43am
Nice wan

When I saw the thread bumped part of me was thinking it was bad news
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 10:14am
Anti Irish Daily Mail, no thank you.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Eamon Numpty View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamon Numpty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 10:31am
Saw this thread and was fearing the worst.
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 10:47am
PHEW also feared the worst

Did not look too healthy in the Aviva when paraded. 

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Eamon Numpty Eamon Numpty wrote:

Saw this thread and was fearing the worst.
Yep the Old Heart missed a beat also .Heart

Edited by Claret Murph - 13 Sep 2016 at 11:12am
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Who cares?

For all it's right wing agendas, biased journalists, etc., it's one of the best papers for reporting on the LOI, often reporting on minor games in both divisions. I don't follow GAA, and have only a little interest in Rugby, but it seems to give great coverage to them too. It also employs a lot of Irish staff, much moreso than some of the other 'British' titles that sell in Ireland.

I wouldn't hold this against buying or reading a book about Jack Charlton. In fact, I look forward to you buying me a copy.

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Who cares?

For all it's right wing agendas, biased journalists, etc., it's one of the best papers for reporting on the LOI, often reporting on minor games in both divisions. I don't follow GAA, and have only a little interest in Rugby, but it seems to give great coverage to them too. It also employs a lot of Irish staff, much moreso than some of the other 'British' titles that sell in Ireland.

I wouldn't hold this against buying or reading a book about Jack Charlton. In fact, I look forward to you buying me a copy.

An interesting proposal

El Puto Amo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 35>
  Share Topic