Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Charlton RIP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 35>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 6:22am
Ah ffs. Didn't know that about Jack.

Great to see the reception for him. Definitely the most poignant moment in that stadium.

Anyone know who was the lad in the England top beside him at the presentation?
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

kevjreilly View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevjreilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 9:10am
I see they named a Bar in the Aviva after him, The Jack Charlton Lounge
Read it 3 times before posting
Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 9:20am
What a lovely moment yesterday. Although the ground wasn't full yet the reception he got, from both sets of fans, was fantastic.

Very sad to hear of his illness, I didn't realise that.
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 6:00pm
Did not know he was ill until reading it here, terrible news and a terrible illness, grandfather is suffering from it now too. Both of whom got me supporting Ireland as much as I do all those years ago.

A legend of a man. Had the privilege of meeting him at his DVD signing a couple years back in the Square one evening, had plenty of time for everyone, stayed well beyond his time slot to have a good chat.

Clap 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 6:04pm
Jack Charlton is a legend and miss his days as manager big time
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 6:20pm
What a man!

A true legend, I was over the moon to see him walking out yesterday.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by kevjreilly kevjreilly wrote:

I see they named a Bar in the Aviva after him, The Jack Charlton Lounge

A bar , the man deserves a statue after all he did for Ireland
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 7:28pm
Speakers where I was in the stadium were not working. I didn't realise that was for him. I wondered what it was for. Fecking wish I had realised.
Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Ah ffs. Didn't know that about Jack.

Great to see the reception for him. Definitely the most poignant moment in that stadium.

Anyone know who was the lad in the England top beside him at the presentation?

Wayne Rooney (Manchester Utd) Thumbs Up
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 10:00pm
Came across a good few interviews from Jack from made in the month there and it doesnt seem suggest hes as ill as made out to be. If anything, seems to be in good formClap

Last month on his 80th;
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jack-charlton-celebrates-80th-birthday-5654831

Talking about Gaza and how he could have played for us
http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/jack-charlton-given-standing-ovation-5840260

Pre match, asking trouble makers to keep away
http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/ireland-v-england-jack-charlton-5839653

GREENISLE View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GREENISLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 10:03pm
God he looked distant. God bless him. Legend......
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 10:12pm
Lads he is 80 in all fairness and probably had many a bang to head. It would not be uncommon at all to be showing some signs of a form of dementia.

Obviously the comment made by a poster saying he doesn't remember the world cups etc would be very worrying but not sure how true that source is. He definitely looks like he's lost a bit of sharpness but not like he hadn't a clue where he was, he knew exactly where he was and was even going with the song every so slightly.
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Lads he is 80 in all fairness and probably had many a bang to head. It would not be uncommon at all to be showing some signs of a form of dementia.

Obviously the comment made by a poster saying he doesn't remember the world cups etc would be very worrying but not sure how true that source is. He definitely looks like he's lost a bit of sharpness but not like he hadn't a clue where he was, he knew exactly where he was and was even going with the song every so slightly.

To quote Jack himself as above in my links

"My memory is going so I cannot do the word search like I used to – my memory is terrible, the only thing I can remember is the 1966 World Cup team.

“I was reading all about Jimmy Greaves going into hospital and I hope I can see him again.

“I am looking forward to my birthday, but try not to worry about getting old!"
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 10:20pm
Was thinking myself he couldn't be that bad looking at the footage of him yesterday. Seems to be fairly aware of where he was. As others have said he is 80 so probably not too surprising he's showing signs of memory loss especially when you think of the balls that they used in the 60's that he'd have been heading on a regular basis. Look what happend to Jeff Astle

Edited by Denis Irwin - 08 Jun 2015 at 10:22pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

Came across a good few interviews from Jack from made in the month there and it doesnt seem suggest hes as ill as made out to be. If anything, seems to be in good formClap

Last month on his 80th;
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jack-charlton-celebrates-80th-birthday-5654831

Talking about Gaza and how he could have played for us
http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/jack-charlton-given-standing-ovation-5840260

Pre match, asking trouble makers to keep away
http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/ireland-v-england-jack-charlton-5839653

It seems reports of his illness have been greatly exaggerated (thankfully). He goes into real detail about Gascoigne being eligible for Ireland, which makes me think he must be quite okay, even though he admits his memory is failing a bit.

gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 11:58pm
Those are all written word interviews which could be interpreted anyway....if he was the fully aware Jack that we all remember you'd have thought he'd have been asked for a video interview to say a few words over the weekend.......but like said he's 80 yrs old we all get there eventually (those of us that do make it that far)

edit to say his brother Bobby has not looked well either for a good while now, definite case of Parkinsons if you watch him

Edited by gazurtoids - 09 Jun 2015 at 12:07am
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 7:24pm

Class interview with the big from just before we played England at Wembley in 91.. never seen it before and randomly came across it on YouTube. Well worth a watchhttps://youtu.be/vPmXs6CTQMs

Edited by zizu Kilbane - 01 Oct 2015 at 7:25pm
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 7:13pm
Good interview here. Can't hyperlink it as I'm on the phone.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/jack-charlton-i-didnt-retire-i-got-sacked-really-34424666.html
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 35>
  Share Topic