Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Charlton RIP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 32333435>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 11:40am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Trying to find the story/video without success that goes something like as follows:

Jack is in charge of Middlesbrough and leading a training session
Some man comes flying into the training ground in his car and right up onto the pitch
Players are looking at each other thinking "jesus what's after happening here, is something wrong?"
Man jumps out of the car shouting "Jack, Jack, there's Pike in the Tyne"
Jack turns to his coach and says "you take over, I'll be back in a couple of days" and flys off with the bloke. 

LOL

100% something Jack would do
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 11:43am
I heard Chris waddle tell that one, I think it was when charlton was Newcastle manager, good story.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

At Last i got to see the Doc last night .

Now did think it was very well done again 88 , 90, and 94 were a special time foe everyone .

I did like how they left the chair empty at the end .

The only thing which i wanted to see was Jack when he came on the pitch for the last time at Lansdowne v England .

Loved Jack i must say .
Was very surprised by this also. 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 11:54am
Lads, it's a Jack Charlton thread. Lets stop the Bono sh*tetalk and personal abuse.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

I heard Chris waddle tell that one, I think it was when charlton was Newcastle manager, good story.

Yes it was Newcastle then.
Might have been an old off the ball podcast come to think of it. Great story 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 12:55pm
How do lads think Jack would do with the current squad in his prime.  What starting 11 would be pick do people think as we have to honest he did have the finest squad we ever had or probably ever will have. 

Btw, not sure why people get personal on here but each to their own. It’s just debating points.  

Edited by Baldrick - 30 Mar 2021 at 12:56pm
AKA pedantic kunt
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

How do lads think Jack would do with the current squad in his prime.  

Shoot them
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

How do lads think Jack would do with the current squad in his prime.  

Shoot them

This LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 1:02pm

How do lads think Jack would do with the current squad in his prime.  What starting 11 would be pick do people think as we have to honest he did have the finest squad we ever had or probably ever will have. 

Btw, not sure why people get personal on here but each to their own. It’s just debating points.  

Duffy upfront for sure. 
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 1:03pm
He would build from the back and make the defence compact and not be loose as we have been since SK took over. Further up the pitch will take care of itself but if you have a tight defence only really good sides can penetrate.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 1:09pm

Some posts deleted there. If there are any more, please point them out. Just flag the post and it goes straight to the mods. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Jack had many flaws but was also a great character and a decent man.  There is a huge element of Irish fans esp who think the sun shone from his arse and he could do no wrong and he was almost perfect.  That is far from the truth and it actually does his legacy a disservice.  He was a simple man but to talk about him simply is incorrect.  There was a great podcast Dunphy and Brady and Giles did during lockdown which is well worth a listen.  If it was the only thing on Jack it would be deeply unfair but it’s a great addition to the canon of stuff on him as it gives another side to the story.  Giles was one of his best mates but is well able to critically analyse his football management and also is very stubborn nature.  Some of the stories of Jack getting thick are priceless.  Jack was also tighter than Newryrep.  He borrowed a Tenner from I think Ronnie Whelan or Jim Beglin before the first Ireland March 35 years ago at Manchester airport 😀😀 first time they met and he never gave it back 

Sure the famous one was paying for booze in a pub by cheque, knowing there was a strong chance the cheque would never be lodged. 

I'm pretty sure Jack himself called this out as bull  (might well have been during that excellent interview he did for desert Island discs). I think he said it was a rehash of a story that used to be told about John Charles.

He said that his bill was usually settled before he had a chance to pay, which is believable in fairness  
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Slow & Blind View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slow & Blind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 1:49pm
The Jack and Bobby rivalry is local to Newcastle too. Even though Jack was very unpopular when he managed Newcastle because of his style of football, he has always been liked and respected for what he achieved in football. Jack kept his Geordie accent and was proud of where he came from, Bobby changed his accent to fit in with Man United and the English FA types and never came back to the area.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Slow & Blind Slow & Blind wrote:

The Jack and Bobby rivalry is local to Newcastle too. Even though Jack was very unpopular when he managed Newcastle because of his style of football, he has always been liked and respected for what he achieved in football. Jack kept his Geordie accent and was proud of where he came from, Bobby changed his accent to fit in with Man United and the English FA types and never came back to the area.

That's another one which brought a tear to my eye, singing the Blaydon Races, he was a Geordie til the very end was Jack
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 2:26pm

I've always said he would have loved Shane Long , he would have been his typical Forward harrier.
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I've always said he would have loved Shane Long , he would have been his typical Forward harrier.
Jack's tactics wouldn't work in today's game. They might have been innovative at the time but the game has moved on and teams have found ways around it.

Growing up playing underage football we used to play a similar kind of tactic. Basically kick it into the corners and press up. Very successful underage but it was puke football looking back at it.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 2:55pm
If the whole team presses and does it correctly its still a nightmare to play against. 
Its easy to play against if its half hearted or if there  lazy players in midfield or up front  not doing it.  Everyone has to do it or its fairly sh*t.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 3:48pm
I was also surprised that they didn't include Jack coming back to Lansdowne for the England friendly. It would have been a perfect ending - getting an ovation from both Ireland and England fans.

And Jack said previously that the cheque story was a rehash of one that used to be said about Stanley Matthews. Him having to pay for a pint really doesn't make sense.

And the Long-ball game could still be effective. The best teams can beat a press and hold onto the ball, but most others would struggle to play against a proper "put em under pressure" style. 

Jack would love players like Duffy and especially McClean, who he would want to clone. People on this site would be going bananas!

Edited by Terzino - 30 Mar 2021 at 3:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 32333435>
  Share Topic