Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Charlton RIP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 35>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Whats your beef with what I wrote?  He started using 4-5-1 in competitive games for the first time at the World Cup and used it in Tilburg.  The Dutch used to us playing 4-4-2 against them were caught on the hop that night and were better prepared in Orlando. 

But sure pick holes if it makes you feel better
So he didn't switch to 4-5-1 in the world cup?

Yes he used it in competitive matches for the first time.  Are you thick or something?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

4-5-1 came before the World cup, we played it against Holland in a friendly a few months previous

Yeah which caused us to show out hand for the WC

Would you have wanted us to go to the World Cup having not played the formation so it was a surprise to our opponents?

I didn't say that.  We got the Dutch again only a couple of months after we beat them with the new system and they knew how we were going to play.  We surprised them in Tilburg.

Regardless, they'd have examined how we were playing anyway and prepared accordingly. The win in Tilburg had nothing to do with the individual errors that cost us in Orlando.  

Maybe but they were better prepared having already played us using that system.  We never got a look in in Orlando.  Point being Jack started to doubt himself and change things when before he wouldn't.
He used to say ''We don't change our game.  We inflict our game on them. They have to change to play us.'' Now here was Jack changing to suit the opposition and to accommodate some new players.  He would never have done that in 1990.

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 8:10am
No McGrath but great pic - taken in 2018.

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 27 Jul 2020 at 8:13am

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 8:48am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

No McGrath but great pic - taken in 2018.

Great photo loads not there not just McGrath, roy keane also and john Aldridge and Cascarino john sheridan Chris Morris Denir Irwin and Gary Kelly and Phil Babb and Ray Houghton
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 8:50am

4-5-1 came before the World cup, we played it against Holland in a friendly a few months previous

Yeah which caused us to show out hand for the WC

Would you have wanted us to go to the World Cup having not played the formation so it was a surprise to our opponents?

I didn't say that.  We got the Dutch again only a couple of months after we beat them with the new system and they knew how we were going to play.  We surprised them in Tilburg.

Regardless, they'd have examined how we were playing anyway and prepared accordingly. The win in Tilburg had nothing to do with the individual errors that cost us in Orlando.  

Maybe but they were better prepared having already played us using that system.  We never got a look in in Orlando.  Point being Jack started to doubt himself and change things when before he wouldn't.
He used to say ''We don't change our game.  We inflict our game on them. They have to change to play us.'' Now here was Jack changing to suit the opposition and to accommodate some new players.  He would never have done that in 1990.

Main reason was quinn was injured and he felt that we couldnt play Aldridge and Coyne up top together and Cascarino wasnt in the shape that Jack wanted.  
AKA pedantic kunt
baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 5:03pm

Did anyone manage to get their hands on the Penneys Jack Charlton t shirt?   None in my local Penneys yesterday
was in Penney's today. Very little left of the tee shirts. There on the ground floor in the o'Connell street branch. Asked the staff are they getting more in, they weren't sure. She said there was however a great take up on the tee shirts.  Fair play. 
FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by baresi41 baresi41 wrote:

Did anyone manage to get their hands on the Penneys Jack Charlton t shirt?   None in my local Penneys yesterday
was in Penney's today. Very little left of the tee shirts. There on the ground floor in the o'Connell street branch. Asked the staff are they getting more in, they weren't sure. She said there was however a great take up on the tee shirts.  Fair play. 

check the other one , they were still waiting for them on sat afternoon when O Connell street  had them
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 6:59pm
I was in Penneys Galway on Friday and they didn't have them.  Went in Sat and they didn't have them.  Asked what looked like a 23 year old girl folding clothes in the men's section where the Jack Charlton tee shirts were.  She never heard of him.  I said its yer man in the shop window.  Hadn't a scoobie.

QMan said there was none in Drogheda either

Edited by Trap junior - 27 Jul 2020 at 7:03pm

sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 9:25am
herself picked one up for me in Dundrum on Saturday. Said they had plenty at the time.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 9:50am

I was in Penneys Galway on Friday and they didn't have them.  Went in Sat and they didn't have them.  Asked what looked like a 23 year old girl folding clothes in the men's section where the Jack Charlton tee shirts were.  She never heard of him.  I said its yer man in the shop window.  Hadn't a scoobie.

maybe they didn't hear you through the sound proof mask you were wearing. 
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 9:57am

None in Waterford either, said they weren't getting any. 
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 10:26am
Just out of Penny's on Patrick Street (Cork), they have plenty in small sizes though. Cry
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 10:48am
I picked some up in Dundrum on Saturday, they were just put out when I got in so timed it well!

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 11:53am
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Just out of Penny's on Patrick Street (Cork), they have plenty in small sizes though. Cry
Just change your diet, stop drinking and hit the gym, you’ll fit into it in a year or so.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 2:15pm
Picked up a Large and Extra Large t-shirts no bother in the Pennys on Mary St earlier

Edited by Denis Irwin - 28 Jul 2020 at 2:16pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 3:41pm
Pat Charlton is so thankful for Irish support
and heartfelt tributes to Big Jack

Jack Charlton’s wife Pat has thanked the people of Ireland for the overwhelming messages of support, the countless bunches of flowers and the heartfelt sympathy that has arrived at her home in Northumbria on a daily basis since the former Irish manager’s death.

Pat and the Charlton family have been inundated with flowers, letters and cards since the 1966 World Cup winner - and driving force behind Ireland’s arrival on the world football stage - passed away at the age of 85 on July 10th.

As the FAI confirmed over 20,000 signatures on their virtual Book of Condolences for the Charlton family, Pat spoke to FAI.ie to offer her thanks to Jack’s Army.

“I am so grateful to everyone in Ireland who has taken time out to send us their condolences, it means so much to me and to the family to know that Jack meant so much to everyone in Ireland and I would like to share this message with the Irish people.

“Jack loved his time with the Irish team and it is clear from all the cards, letters and flowers that have arrived at our house just how much the people of Ireland loved him as well.

“I cannot tell you how much that means to me and to John, Deborah and Peter and all the family as we try to come to terms with Jack’s passing. Every day we have received more messages, more cards and more flowers from Ireland, from England and all across the world.

“It has given me great comfort to see all those letters arrive from Ireland and to see the reaction to his death right across the country. To know he was so loved in Ireland means such a lot to us all, it really does.”

Eldest son John, who shared so many great nights with his dad as part of the Irish team’s backroom team, has also thanked the Green Army for their support in this difficult time.

“We are still coming to terms with my dad’s passing but all the support we have received, here in England and from Ireland, has made such a difference for the family,” said John.

“I know thousands of people would have travelled from Ireland to say goodbye to my dad at the funeral but for COVID-19 and I know they marked the day right across Ireland which we are so grateful for.

“The organisers of the event in Ashington on the morning of the funeral have told us there were 15,000 people out on the streets to say their goodbyes. I can only imagine what the funeral would have been like if it wasn’t subject to those COVID restrictions.

“We saw the Irish tricolours in Ashington and I know from reading the letters and the cards we have received from Ireland, that many fans would have travelled over for the funeral if they could have.

“I want to thank them all on behalf of the family. Some of those who have written to us had met my dad over the years, others are just fans who wanted to say thank you and to sympathise with us all. It means so much to us.

“We will get over to Ireland when the time is right and with the help of the FAI, we will have an Irish send-off for my dad. We all look forward to that but in the meantime, we want to thank you all for everything over the last fortnight. Your support has been really special for us all.”

Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

Managed to get one today.  Only one of the two Penney's stores here is stocking them by the looks of it.
I might be wrong but it appears only the big cities and in them only the main shop is getting stocked. Ridiculous.  

sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 10:31pm

Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

Managed to get one today.  Only one of the two Penney's stores here is stocking them by the looks of it.
I might be wrong but it appears only the big cities and in them only the main shop is getting stocked. Ridiculous.  
You should get onto Joe Duffy about it, or whoever his non-union summer replacement is
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 35>
  Share Topic