Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Charlton RIP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 35>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 12:14am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

4-5-1 came before the World cup, we played it against Holland in a friendly a few months previous

Yeah which caused us to show out hand for the WC
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 7:31am
Originally posted by armahibee armahibee wrote:

Mad to hear him say we could have won something, I always thought I was delusional, we have fallen so far in recent years, hope we see a generation like that again in my lifetime Cry

As said previously, all we were missing was a striker.
I do think if we had qualified for 92 we could have got to a 1/2 final or final as that was probably our peak with experience.

But we can’t have any complaints - 2 Good world cups and some massive wins.

newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 9:47am
So basically if Robbie Keane was 10 years older and had been in the Euro 88 and Italia 90 squads...
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

4-5-1 came before the World cup, we played it against Holland in a friendly a few months previous

Would you have wanted us to go to the World Cup having not played the formation so it was a surprise to our opponents?
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Mad to hear him say we could have won something, I always thought I was delusional, we have fallen so far in recent years, hope we see a generation like that again in my lifetime Cry

I do think if we had qualified for 92 we could have got to a 1/2 final or final as that was probably our peak with experience.

We had good strikers. John Aldridge was one of the best in Europe in the late 80s. It was a specific type of striker we didn't have, someone with blistering pace or even as quick as Lineker would have been ideal. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Would you have wanted us to go to the World Cup having not played the formation so it was a surprise to our opponents?

I didn't say that.  We got the Dutch again only a couple of months after we beat them with the new system and they knew how we were going to play.  We surprised them in Tilburg.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 1:10pm
Did anyone manage to get their hands on the Penneys Jack Charlton t shirt?   None in my local Penneys yesterday

Edited by Trap junior - 26 Jul 2020 at 1:11pm

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 1:19pm

We had good strikers. John Aldridge was one of the best in Europe in the late 80s. It was a specific type of striker we didn't have, someone with blistering pace or even as quick as Lineker would have been ideal. 

Can't really remember myself but I always assumed Aldridge was pacy in his earlier days for Ireland given Jack played him out wide. No?

Edited by irishmufc - 26 Jul 2020 at 1:20pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 1:31pm

Did anyone manage to get their hands on the Penneys Jack Charlton t shirt?   None in my local Penneys yesterday

You’re fairly getting out and about these days TJ.

Well done.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

You’re fairly getting out and about these days TJ.

Well done.

Bought a Hazmat suit on ebay and go through the car wash with it on my way home

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 1:50pm
Got a text from NR with one yesterday who nabbed one Thumbs Up
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 1:51pm

I didn't say that.  We got the Dutch again only a couple of months after we beat them with the new system and they knew how we were going to play.  We surprised them in Tilburg.

it certainly looks like you did.

Same with the Mexican and Dutch losses.  Bound to put you back on your heels a bit.  And again the ageing squad didnt help.  He switched from 4-4-2 to 4-5-1 in that world cup.  Then switched back to 4-4-2 in Anfield upon request from the players.  In his peak he knew what to do and that was it. There was no questioning or asking the players.

It was really lucky that the Dutch fixed the World Cup group draw in December, and the results in June, so that when we faced off again in the second round, they knew the tactics we'd use.
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 1:54pm
Whats your beef with what I wrote?  He started using 4-5-1 in competitive games for the first time at the World Cup and used it in Tilburg.  The Dutch used to us playing 4-4-2 against them were caught on the hop that night and were better prepared in Orlando. 

But sure pick holes if it makes you feel better

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Said we lacked one player that could have taken us to the next level, a forward with real pace 
Spoke to Jimmy Hill (I know) at Wembley before USA94 and asked him how did he think we would do. He said good but if we had someone like Shearer we’d go a long way.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 2:27pm

Whats your beef with what I wrote?  He started using 4-5-1 in competitive games for the first time at the World Cup and used it in Tilburg.  The Dutch used to us playing 4-4-2 against them were caught on the hop that night and were better prepared in Orlando. 

But sure pick holes if it makes you feel better
So he didn't switch to 4-5-1 in the world cup?
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 2:34pm

Regardless, they'd have examined how we were playing anyway and prepared accordingly. The win in Tilburg had nothing to do with the individual errors that cost us in Orlando.  
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Got a text from NR with one yesterday who nabbed one Thumbs Up

Indeed I did , o Connell Street primark had them the iliac. Centre one we’re waiting on them coming in 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Can't really remember myself but I always assumed Aldridge was pacy in his earlier days for Ireland given Jack played him out wide. No?
Long time ago but I never really remember us being stuck for pace, fair enough cas, quinn and also to a lesser extent aldo where cut from the same cloth but would some high end pace made any difference? Personally I think a world class attacking midfielder would have being more beneficial especially with Kelly, coyne and bryne towards Jack's latter years. All academic but as mentioned if duff and Keane where 10 years older 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 35>
  Share Topic