You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Charlton RIP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 35>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 7:32am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Does anyone know where the EIRE team trained in Florida?  Was it Orlando?  Anyone know exactly where they trained?

Orlando afaik 

Any idea exactly where in Orlando?

I was listening to the radio yesterday and some fan said they watched the Irish team training down in the everglades
Seminole County Sports Training Center, outside Orlando. 
Sponsored Links

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 7:37am

Does anyone know where the EIRE team trained in Florida?  Was it Orlando?  Anyone know exactly where they trained?

Orlando afaik 

I was listening to the radio yesterday and some fan said they watched the Irish team training down in the everglades
yeah heard that also
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 7:47am
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Originally posted by baresi41 baresi41 wrote:

we're all part of Jackie's army. 1986 first game v Wales. Went to it and beaten  thought. Wtf. Not again. But Jack was a different type of man. He said he'd turn things around. Iceland tournament myself and 10 other souls ventured to, via Glasgow.  No bars only state run off licences. Our only senior silverware ever. Then beating Scotland in Hampden, the Bulgaria result. OMG. Germany Euro '88. There for 3 weeks on a bus. Beating England,  drawing with Russia and a bounce of  a ball saw us out versus holland. Stayed for both semi finals and the final Holland v Russia.  What a memory.  Driving back almost 2 weeks after our departure from the tournament up'O'Connell street with a few funtrek buses and people clapping us. Now then the country was uniting.  Italia '90 next, another marathon tournament.  

There for another 3 weeks plus. Draw versus England,, Egypt and Holland. Penalty shootout against Romania. Beaten by the hosts in the Colosseum that was Rome. But seeing Jack walking out afterwards to thank us the fans for supporting the team. Felt so proud. Euro '92 we should have qualified but didn't.  Got new blood into the team and started the road for USA '94. In Belfast with a few other lads witnessing hatred and sectarianism at its best, led by none other than their manager. Even putting up the wrong score on the scoreboard saying Spain were beating Denmark, where in fact we knew they weren't. The joy when we got the result, but then running  for our lives out of the park.  

USA '94. The craic in the giants stadium,  we got revenge against Italy. Lost to Mexico,  and drew v Norway. Jack even got a ban and had to sit in the tv room ... down to Orlando for the Dutch again to seal our faith. But what a trip Part of a family. Some great friends current and past I shared these  great times and journeys with. I think the country was never so united. No politics   no wannabes just pure love and support for the team and each other.  

I saw his last act so to speak in Anfield,  but we new it would end sometime.  But what an impact he left on us all. No longer afraid of the big teams, we were here.  Some are too young to remember,  but you heard the stories from us older fans, but that's not what it's about, it's  us fans believing in each other and the team. Looking after someone when they need us at home and abroad.  Our values friendship comradeship loyalty . He instilled that in his teams and us. 

A legend and world cup winner. One of Ireland's favorite sons. A spirit in the sky. Rest in peace big man. 

Lovely words Frank. The outpouring of emotion from the entire nation is heartfelt and genuine. It reminds us all of simpler times. 

Nice post.

I was only in primary school for Italia 90 but it was a great summer. Didn’t appreciate the massive achievement until much later but it was a great time to be alive in Ireland.

It honestly felt like we won the World Cup and I remember seeing all the fans in the streets in Dublin to welcome the team home.

After that I was hooked following Ireland. After USA 94 I promised myself I would go to the next World Cup to follow Ireland. 
Luckily I made it to Japan and went to see the 3 group games.

Very jealous of those who made it to Italia 90 and USA 94. Memories for the rest of your life.

The big man changed Ireland forever.

RIP jack. 

Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:48am
Very sad news to wake up to yesterday. Gave us all some brilliant memories. RIP Big Jack
Some people just deserve a slap
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Orlando afaik 

Thumbs Up

When is the funeral?  Apparently due to covid its going to be immediate family only.  Real shame. 
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 11:19am
Not sure if the funeral date has been announced but be great if everybody threw up an Irish flag on their windows etc

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Not sure if the funeral date has been announced but be great if everybody threw up an Irish flag on their windows etc

I plan on doing it anyway. 

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 11:48am
Lovely statue of Jack in Cork Airport. Be nice if they had something similar  to go somewhere in lansdowne.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Lovely statue of Jack in Cork Airport. Be nice if they had something similar  to go somewhere in lansdowne.
Was delighted when they moved that from the old terminal to the new one. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 12:36pm
Don't know if this was posted already but...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53373383

Two days before the 1990 World Cup quarter-final against Italy, there was a drinking session involving a Guinness truck with players enjoying themselves and Charlton in the middle of it.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 1:18pm

Being England his funeral might not be for another few weeks
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 1:48pm

Would make no sense without putting up an English flag too, given that Jack was English and a World Cup winner with England.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 1:58pm

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Orlando afaik 

Thumbs Up

When is the funeral?  Apparently due to covid its going to be immediate family only.  Real shame. 

Was just thinking that. Real pity the lads can't give him a proper send off
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 2:23pm
anyone manage to sign the fai book of condolences I just get an error every time I try it.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

anyone manage to sign the fai book of condolences I just get an error every time I try it.

I was able to do it on my phone without any problems. Maybe it's a browser issue?

Edited by E2016 - 13 Jul 2020 at 2:28pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 2:55pm
I was able to sign it when it first went live.  Must have crashed with everyone trying to sign it

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 4:24pm
Eir Sport showing classic Ireland matches at 7pm all this week. 

eir Sport
@eirSport
·
2h
Mon: v Spain ('89)
Tue: v N. Ireland ('89)
Wed: v England ('90)
Thur: v Holland ('90)
Fri: v Romania ('90)
Sat: v England ('91)
Sun: v Italy ('94)

Enjoy some of Jack's finest moments as 
@FAIreland
 boss every night this week from 7pm on eir sport 1!
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Tribesman91 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tribesman91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

I signed it yesterday at around 6pm, on my phone, no issues.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 35>
  Share Topic