Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Charlton RIP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 35>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

best manager we have had despite what people will tell you.  Was a great character tooThumbs Up

What "people?"  Led us to three tourmanents out of his first four attempts, beating England in our very 1st game at the top table, last 8 of the World Cup in 1990, beat the eventual WC runners up in 1994 and very unlucky to be denied a place at Euro 92.  Anyone who says he's not our best manager needs their head examined.  He wasn't perfect (his treatment of Dave Langan for example), some of the football was brutal (what Manager hasn't had that?) but no question he's the best and most successful gaffer we've had.

People who say we underachieved under Charlton with the group of players we had. In my opinion it's a nonsense argument because we were a country that had never qualified for ANYTHING before and on our first go we were damed unlucky not to make the semi's of Euro88 and we made the QF of the World Cup. People also forget it was Charlton himself who brought in the very players who people claim we should have played to a higher level.  Do you think the likes of Houghton, Aldridge, Townsend etc would have declared for Ireland had it not been Charlton who asked them? Charlton had great leadership qualities, took no sh*t (proper order) but had a warmth about him too.  His style of play threw the cat amongst the pigeons in international football in the late 1980's and teams couldn't deal with our tactics which gave us the unprecidented success.  Sure we had come close in 1981 but Hand was not a inspirational figure like Charlton.   Charlton was big, gruff, not afraid to take on a star int he dressing room and a world cup winner.  That gives you the respect of the players in a way Brian Kerr couldnt get. Sure Mourinho had no real career as a player but his personality and success made him a rare exception tot he rule.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 5:38pm
Legend

HB Jack
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 6:42pm
I was there for his reign memories that will never leave me as long as I Live and still the hair on the back of my neck stands when I see them on the TV screen/

The revisionists are sad sad people nothing will match Rays Goals, Packies Grimace and walking into Giants Stadium covered in Green Everywhere. Jack put the Pride back in the tricolour and did more for Ireland than any politician ever did.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 6:45pm
Happy Birthday Jack
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

I was there for his reign memories that will never leave me as long as I Live and still the hair on the back of my neck stands when I see them on the TV screen/

The revisionists are sad sad people nothing will match Rays Goals, Packies Grimace and walking into Giants Stadium covered in Green Everywhere. Jack put the Pride back in the tricolour and did more for Ireland than any politician ever did.

A fact
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 7:33pm
Nothing in any sport and most likely in any other country will come close to what the country was like when jack was in his pomp, we'll be chasing that dragon til the day we die lads.

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 7:44pm
Happy Birthday, Jackie.

I've got a book autographed by him. Jack's GUBU times. As Milla said, we'll never see the likes of those great, unprecedented, bountiful and unexpected times again.  

gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 8:23pm
Ranked 6th in the world at one stage, Ireland were feared and respected back then....heady days never to be repeated 

Happy birthday JackClap
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 8:31pm
Can't under estimate the impact Italia 90 had on us as a nation . After that the country went onwards and upwards until Bertie started filling his and his mates pockets .

Cheers for an unforgettable summer . Was only 8 at the time but remember it like it was yesterday. Will take those memories to the grave . A proper legend. Have a great day Jack.   
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
forza trapp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forza trapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

A fact

Agree 100%, the 70s and 80s where difficult times in Ireland, gufct is right about restoring pride in our flag and country. I was lucky enough to go to two world cups and one European championship with Jack at the helm. Sure we played some dour stuff but looking back they where fantastic times.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 10:31pm
Happy birthday Jack

What was the story an ex Newcastle player told about training one day at Newcastle. Some bloke comes crashing through the gate and up onto the training pitch and goes "Jack Jack, there's pike in the Tyne" and Jack goes to his assistant "you take training I'll be back in a couple of days"

Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 11:00pm
Great Days - early afternoon kick offs - no floodlights - half days from School - £2 a schoolboy south terrace ticket.
'Lets Go Fxxking Mental' was our hymn.

Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 11:02pm
Chris Waddle on the England Bus to Euro '88 Ire v Eng on ITV.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 5:18am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 2:23pm
Great days indeed . I missed 1 friendly under jack at home in all them years .

Seen every bloody match there including Aldos first goal v Tunisa . Frank Stapleton scoring v Germany and Brady pulled off before half time .
beating Luxembourg 2-1 in 87
McGrath not getting off the bus v Turkey . The win v Spain with the og from Michel
The win v Portugal at home . The riot v England .

Sometimes the football was brutal and towards the end less effective but by god we were hard to beat ...

Edited by depechemode - 03 Jun 2015 at 2:24pm
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 5:18pm

2 legends

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Big Jack turns 80 on May 8th.

Hope the FAI have it firmly marked in their calendar and will pay tribute to the man in some way or means.

I know his health wasn't the best in recent years. Anyone know how he is doing?

He has dementia ....not something that gets better 
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 5:52pm
Does he actually have dementia? Heard some rumours of it but nothing concrete
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 35>
  Share Topic